No announcement yet.

My dream iX ^_^ turbo DD to come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me if the steering shafts are different on the ix compared to a standard e30? Cause I was going to transplant the one I have on my other car to the ix if possible. Can't find much on this.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

steering shafts?
      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

I meant steering couplers sorry.

sigpic

Comment

yes and yes
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Damn it :-( that blows. What makes it different? Could you possibly show me nanda?

sigpic

Comment

well, one is made for the ix, the other one isn't. :p

basically it's larger because some of the torque from the front wheels is transmitted through the steering shaft.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oh okay yeah I got the name wrong Haha. But Damn well ill have to hunt that down too. Yay.

sigpic

Comment

Also the iX rack is located differently than the RWD rack... not sure the degree to which the shaft and coupler are separable, but that certainly bears on the shaft.

With power steering, the torque on the steering shaft should never exceed the cracking torque on the spool valve, so unless that's higher on the iX than on the RWD cars, I don't see why a higher torque coupler would be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Titan_Omega View Post
                    -Owners are reporting that outer ball joints on the iX seem to need replacement at 120K-150K miles. Replacement ball joints are available (Zygmunt Motors, 215-348-3121) which can be pressed into the lower arms at a cost of about $40 each. BMW only sells the whole assembly lower arm assembly at a cost of $250-350 for parts for each side. Bekkers (800-624-5410) sells the arm assembly for around $180.
                    Useful info

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      Also the iX rack is located differently than the RWD rack... not sure the degree to which the shaft and coupler are separable, but that certainly bears on the shaft.

With power steering, the torque on the steering shaft should never exceed the cracking torque on the spool valve, so unless that's higher on the iX than on the RWD cars, I don't see why a higher torque coupler would be necessary.
                      I would assume that the ix rack is stronger than the RWD rack as well. the steering coupler is significantly different.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Maybe grab the coupler from a part-out.... http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319659

I hated paying for a new one. Especially since it did nothing to improve the handling. ...although I was tracking down a mysterious handling issue. Which ended up being a worn CV joint along with Summer tires that tramlined like crazy.

BTW - most attitudes on iXs are.... well.... "bitchy". :)
                        My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

okay well i got the ix in the garage....not easy to move 2 e30s with only one jack 2 jack stands and one set of wheels .......I also discovered that i need to replace BOTH control arms .........fuck......

sigpic

Comment

Dood.... it's just the beginning. lol ;)

I have control arms in good shape if you want them used... shoot me a PM
                            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

I'm actually going to get brand new control arms. But I really appreciate the offer man.

sigpic

Comment

well today i installed a M3 harness cover on the ix. Looks great.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X