My First iX/ Drivers seat debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
    floorpan is different due to a bump in the tunnel for the T-case , this affects the inboard seat track and release handle on drivers seat ,so yes seat is the same but slider track is different
    That sounds like a plausible explanation, but it's not right. Normally I wouldn't bother replying but I think its important to post correct info.

UPDATE: I'm wrong. spdracrm3's description is *exactly* right.

I am restoring a 318is, 325ic and a 325ix coupe, so I'm pretty familiar with the cars. Yes there are many sheet metal bits on the IX that are unique, most obviously the shock towers. I can't confirm the trans tunnel is different though, because afaik BMW never sold E30 floor pans, and I've never had any two of these cars stripped at one time for comparison. I seriously doubt the floorpan is different though for the following reasons:
    - The auto trans fits in these cars and it's bigger.
    - So does a 420G 6 speed.
    - The only time you mess with trans tunnels is when installing a longer motor like an M30, and in those cases it's to clear the top front part of the trans tunnel. Transfer case sits behind the tranny so that doesn't apply.

As far as the seats and seat hardware go though there's no difference and I can prove it.

I assume by seat track you are referring to the seat rails. Checking realoem for my 88 ix, here are the part numbers for an inner seat rail:

left 52101941977
    right 52101941978

Looking up the part number applications list on realoem for the inner left seat rail, you get every E30 model, both US and Europe, except the Touring:

Part 52101941977 (SEAT RAIL INNER LEFT) was found on the following E30 vehicles:
    E30 318i Sedan, M42, MANUAL (AJ93) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 318is Coupe, M42, MANUAL (AF93) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Coupe, M20, AUTO (1264) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Coupe, M20, MANUAL (1254) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Sedan, M20, AUTO (1564) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Sedan, M20, MANUAL (1554) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Coupe, M20, AUTO (1123) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Coupe, M20, MANUAL (1113) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Sedan, M20, AUTO (1423) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Sedan, M20, MANUAL (1413) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325ix Coupe, M20, AUTO (1203) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325ix Coupe, M20, MANUAL (1293) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325ix Sedan, M20, AUTO (1503) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325ix Sedan, M20, MANUAL (1593) : FRONT SEAT RAIL
    E30 318i Sedan, M42, MANUAL (AJ93) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 318is Coupe, M42, MANUAL (AF93) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Coupe, M20, AUTO (1264) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Coupe, M20, MANUAL (1254) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Sedan, M20, AUTO (1564) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325e Sedan, M20, MANUAL (1554) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Coupe, M20, AUTO (1123) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Coupe, M20, MANUAL (1113) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Sedan, M20, AUTO (1423) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 325i Sedan, M20, MANUAL (1413) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 M3 Coupe, S14, MANUAL (1003) : BMW SPORTSEAT SEAT RAIL
    E30 318i Coupe, M10, AUTO (1084) : SPRING FRAME SEAT FRONT
    E30 318i Coupe, M10, MANUAL (1074) : SPRING FRAME SEAT FRONT
    E30 325e Coupe, M20, AUTO (1264) : SPRING FRAME SEAT FRONT
    E30 325e Coupe, M20, MANUAL (1254) : SPRING FRAME SEAT FRONT
    I looked up an IX touring on realoem separately and got the same seat rail part numbers too:

So not sure where your info came from, but as far as the seats go I don't think it's right.
    Last edited by bradnic; 10-18-2014, 09:53 AM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I don't know about the seat debate, but that looks like a nice find. Congrats! I am sure you are going to enjoy it.
      sigpic

Comment

Made some progress today. More progress throughout the week.

Got my new headlights and replacement tail lights in the mail.

Took out all the old interior and began putting in the new.

Any spoiler suggestions?

On stock weaves?
        89 325i coupe - Daily
        89 325iX coupe - Project someday

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          Yes there are many sheet metal bits on the IX that are unique, most obviously the shock towers.
          The transmission tunnel is DEFINITELY different on an iX. Period.
          Among other fun differences... the rear diff mount hangs down lower in an iX.

I hadn't bothered looking at the seat hardware... but have heard that the iX driver's seat doesn't go forward as far as the RWD seat does. I have not verified and I don't use that section of seat travel anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            The transmission tunnel is DEFINITELY different on an iX. Period.
            Haha wow you sound really certain! Even found a 2011 post of yours on bfc http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ween-M3-and-Xi

Didn't realize the frame rails were also different..

This post also agrees with you
            The floorpan is shaped differently around the transmission tunnel to accomodate the transfer case. The rear suspension is mainly the same but it has a different viscous limited slip differential, and I think the mounting points on it are different than a regular e30
            I don't have any info to the contrary on the trans tunnel stuff. Seems like you must know this first hand, and you know a lot more about these cars than most folks here anyway. When I get my IX stripped down I'll definitely check it out.

</hijack>
            Back to OP..

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

The floorpan has a bump in the passenger footwell to clearance the transferr case. It ahs no bearing whatsoever on the seats. I have swapped seats from Ix to non IX cars and vice versa with no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ndfspd67 View Post
                The floorpan has a bump in the passenger footwell to clearance the transferr case. It ahs no bearing whatsoever on the seats. I have swapped seats from Ix to non IX cars and vice versa with no issue.
                it does have a bearing to the seats. non-ix seats do fit but you can't move the seat as far forward because the release lever for the tracks hits the bump for the transfercase.

the ix seat has a modified lever to clear the bump. it moves just as far forward as the RWD seat does.

the trans tunnel is most certainly different than the RWD cars. even the center console is modified - it's about 1/2" taller than the RWD version because the shifter is mounted higher to clear the transfercase.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

As for your car, looks great! Make sure all your maintenance is up to date before going with too many mods. Change the diff fluid, timing belt and water pump, Cv boots and axels, and wheel bearings are all good things to replace/Check. I bought an 1989 325ix as my first car, lost a tranny seal two days after I bought it, broke a timing belt a few months later, the head I replaced the original with turned out to be cracked, but none the less its a labor of love and I will never get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    it does have a bearing to the seats. non-ix seats do fit but you can't move the seat as far forward because the release lever for the tracks hits the bump for the transfercase.
                    I have never put the seat all the way forward to be honest! Makes sense thank you for the insight Nando

Comment

I'm aware of all the average maintenance tasks i have to do. Everything besides new cv boots I've taken a look at. At the moments it's stationary and i have the motor about to come out. Any things i should take advantage of while it's out?
                      89 325i coupe - Daily
                      89 325iX coupe - Project someday

Comment

Some amazingly cool info coming out here. R3V at its finest..

If you have the motor out, a lot of maintenance is easier:
                        - you can go through the whole engine bay and degrease, de-rust...
                        - check your PS system hoses for leaks, especially the low pressure ones to/from the reservoir.
                        - easy access to firewall (blower resistor, blower motor, wiper motor, wiper linkage). lube all the wiper mechanism joints, replace your blower resistor if all your fan speeds aren't working
                        - a little easier to refresh the suspension if the engine's out. pull the subframe, degrease, consider new sway bar and control arm bushings..
                        - inspect and clean/degrease the engine harness and front body harness. replace if needed.
                        - Inspect all your hard lines for rust (brake and fuel). replace as needed.

Sure I'm missing plenty.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

it does have a bearing to the seats. non-ix seats do fit but you can't move the seat as far forward because the release lever for the tracks hits the bump for the transfer case
                          the trans tunnel is most certainly different than the RWD cars.
                          makes a lot of sense. everyone's favorite IX drivetrain image shows how the transfer case sticks out toward the driver's side:

screen grab from a factory IX vid showing the transfer case and front drive shaft

GREAT drivetrain pic below showing how the front shaft and tcase extend downwards. Incredible build thread here

the ix seat has a modified lever to clear the bump. it moves just as far forward as the RWD seat does.
                          at least for now, realoem shows a single seat front/back handle for E30s, E23s, E24s and E28s, part number 52101934417

Part 52101934417 (Handle) was found on the following vehicles:
                          E23: Details on E23
                          E23 733i Sedan
                          E23 735i Sedan

E24: Details on E24
                          E24 633CSi Coupe
                          E24 635CSi Coupe
                          E24 M6 Coupe

E28: Details on E28
                          E28 524td Sedan
                          E28 528e Sedan
                          E28 533i Sedan
                          E28 535i Sedan
                          E28 M5 Sedan

E30: Details on E30
                          E30 318i Coupe
                          E30 318i Sedan
                          E30 325e Sedan
                          E30 325e Coupe
                          E30 318is Coupe
                          E30 325i Sedan
                          E30 325i Coupe
                          E30 325ix Sedan
                          E30 325ix Coupe
                          E30 318i Convertible
                          E30 325i Convertible
                          E30 M3 Coupe

even the center console is modified - it's about 1/2" taller than the RWD version because the shifter is mounted higher to clear the transfercase.
                          as of now, realoem shows both front and rear consoles have the same part numbers 51161941830 and 51161884246 on all E30s. Doesn't mean that wasn't the case originally though - auto vs manual front console with different heights, different window switch cutouts, window breaker switch not present on the console in earlier E30s etc.

Part 51161941830 (STORING PARTITION) was found on the following vehicles:
                          E30: Details on E30
                          E30 318i Convertible
                          E30 318i Coupe
                          E30 318i Sedan
                          E30 318is Coupe
                          E30 325e Sedan
                          E30 325e Coupe
                          E30 325i Sedan
                          E30 325i Coupe
                          E30 325i Convertible
                          E30 325ix Sedan
                          E30 325ix Coupe
                          E30 M3 Coupe
                          Same for the rear console.
                          Last edited by bradnic; 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

You can argue all you want but i know for a fact they are different. I don't need educating on anything about the ix :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Not arguing about IXes nando, especially with you. just presenting facts as I find them and learning all I can.

Just checked my IX coupe and compared it with our 318is. The IX has the carpet out waiting on rust repair, so I could see it clearly.
                              - like you said, definitely has an IX specific tunnel bulge, just in front of the driver's seat
                              - the seat handle is the same one thats in my 318is
                              - console is the same too.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Its not the same. 100% certain. Maybe yours are swapped, or you don't know what you are looking for.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X