This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 IX Thread.

After owning my IX for only a few months now it is clear to me that this is a completely different machine with not as much knowledge/write-up material as the other platforms.

I am hoping that this thread can be a place where people can ask questions, get answer and discuss the platform itself.

I will start this off...

...when replacing anything transmission related with the IX, what is the easiest procedure? Is a short shifter possible without a lift? What about replacing the differential fluid? All of this is new to me and I basically just need help with a lot of it.

when it comes to anything sort of transmission work.

pic for your click:

there is a whole goddamned subforum for this

cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      there is a whole goddamned subforum for this

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=150
      awsm!

Comment

Looks like a clean ix, great find on that one. Good luck with it
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

The subforum is definitely quieter and may take a bit longer to get a response, but the info you'll get is good stuff. Theres a lot of regular e30 guys with a lot of misguided information about the ix. Anyways any short shift kit for the e30 will work (Z3 1.9 seems to be popular) and as for the fluids....

Front differential:
          Spec: 90W GL-5
          capacity: 0.75 qt
          drain/fill plugs: internal (Allen) head, Size ?
          commonly used after market oil: Redline Synthetic 75W90

Rear differential:
          capacity: 1.8 qt

Manual Transmission:
          Spec: 80W GL-4
          capacity: 1.4 qt
          drain/fill plugs: internal (Allen) head, Size 17MM
          commonly used after market oil: Redline Synthetic MTL (manual transmission lubricant)

Transfer case:
          Spec: ATF
          capacity: 0.6 qt
          commonly used after market oil: Redline Synthetic ATF
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
            The subforum is definitely quieter and may take a bit longer to get a response, but the info you'll get is good stuff. Theres a lot of regular e30 guys with a lot of misguided information about the ix. Anyways any short shift kit for the e30 will work (Z3 1.9 seems to be popular) and as for the fluids....

Front differential:
            capacity: 0.75 qt

Rear differential:
            capacity: 1.8 qt

Manual Transmission:
            Spec: 80W GL-4
            capacity: 1.4 qt
            commonly used after market oil: Redline Synthetic MTL (manual transmission lubricant)

Transfer case:
            Spec: ATF
            capacity: 0.6 qt
            commonly used after market oil: Redline Synthetic ATF
            Awesome information thank you!

I am getting a lot of noise right now out of my release bearing (high pitched squealing) and so I have to replace the clutch I believe. While I am in there I was planning on replacing my selector rod and install a short shifter. Is there anything else I should replace "while I am in there"? I was thinking maybe the driveshaft guido...

How hard is it to do the clutch job on the IX? I have a friend who has done the clutch on an RWD, but not an AWD and I am curious as to what major differences we'd run into?

Thank a ton guys.

Comment

Well, the biggest difference is that you're going to have to remove the transfercase.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

ok. I am starting to think this is going to be a possible job. I am planning on just taking the day off and going to a place here in down were they rent garage space, lifts, tools, etc. to get this done over a day.

One question I have before I dive into it is, what about the starter on the 1988 IX? is it a threaded starter housing or a non-threaded starter housing? Just trying to get a full handle on everything before i attempt the job. I hate surprises.

Comment

unfortunately, not threaded. probably one of the shittiest jobs on an e30 is getting the starter in and out. good luck with it.

ps: stop posting in this thread and make one in the ix sub forum
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I did a clutch on my 88 ix a few years ago while also rebuilding the t-case. Lots of stuff to look at while you're in there. YOu already mentioned rebuilding the shifter. My starter was non threaded (had nuts and bolts) and was a pain. To my surprise my top two transmission bolts (also hard to reach) were loose and rattling around. Anyway, to get to those you need to lower the rear of the engine still on its mounts a bit to get enough extensions in there. You'll want to do the rear seal while its staring you in the face.

You mention doing it in a day - that's a stretch but i guess possible. My problem would be you may want to resurface the flywheel which would mean a run to the machine shop. Also assumes you dont find other leaks while you're in there. YOu'll want to use new fasteners for the flywheel and clutch plate. Guibos are usually not messed up but it never hurts to replace it. Expect to break some exhaust bolts or find yourself cutting them off. Obviously check the front driveshaft splines and grease.

It all works , just takes time and patience. Not the kind of thing you want to rush.

Edit: Yeah this should be in the ix forum.

Comment

And get he UUC lwfw while you are at it.
                      Originally posted by Sonny
                      I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Working...
                      X