Stripped half shaft splines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped half shaft splines?

About a month ago I was doing some WOT passes, trying to diagnose the hiccup in the acceleration I've been chasing, and on a smooth pass the rear tires broke free at about 5000 rpm and just started spinning. Rolling burnout, fuck yeah horsepower. Of course, this also worried me because the ix should be the last e30 capable of doing this. A few more passes and I realized my AWD was not working as it should. Then my ix got stuck in the mud in the backyard. I had my gf come out and she confirmed that neither front tire was moving, while my back end was spinning and sinking. Got the Explorer and pulled the ix out. That's the backstory.

So, yesterday I put the ix up on my neighbors lift, turned it on, put it in gear. Very oddly, only 3 tires spun. The rear and the driver's side tire. I grabbed the front driveshaft to see if I could stop it with my hands to check if the TC was shot. I could not stop it, so I assumed it was ok. Turned the car off, put it higher in the air, got underneath. Everything looked normal to me. My neighbor commented that the passenger side halfshaft didnt look seated properly. I took a pry bar and wiggled it in there and it pulled smoothly out, about an inch. Of course, I could not push it back into place. We took the halfshaft nut off, used a brass drift, and then pounded on it to reseat it into the diff. Honestly, I can't tell if it moved further in than the original location after that. If it did, it did so maybe a quarter inch.

Passed the jack test once it was on the ground as well. Stripped splines are the only thing I can think of to explain this behavior. Any thoughts?
    AWD > RWD

A few years ago my old cressida did something similar. The half shaft kinda popped out of the diff and grinded the splines off inside the diff. Put a new output shaft in (with a new c clip) and it was fine again.

Sorry for the terrible picture but the splines should go to the end of the shaft.

www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

probably just popped out. I don't think those splines would easily strip, I've never heard of it happening once.. but I have heard of people's CV shafts popping out. Either they didn't get pushed all the way in, or the clips are broken/missing.

also, hitting the end of the shaft doesn't really push it into the diff very well, because the shaft collapses. you have to push on the CV joint nearest to the diff.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had my reservations about it too, but it was 22 degrees in his garage. I hadn't thought about checking the inside of the diff to see if the clips were in place. That really sucks, removing the diff was not a fun job.

Mitch, yeah, that was my worry. Hopefully it just popped out.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

I think you can replace them without removing the diff? never had to do that though.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This is the passenger side though. How would I get to it through the oil pan? Hopefully it's still there though. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it pops out again. If it does, I'll actually disassemble that side and take a better look at it.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Dude. What is up with this iX of yours!!??
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

At this point I'm not sure if it's the car that's shit, or the mechanic.

Probably the mechanic. Hah.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  I had my reservations about it too, but it was 22 degrees in his garage. I hadn't thought about checking the inside of the diff to see if the clips were in place. That really sucks, removing the diff was not a fun job.

Mitch, yeah, that was my worry. Hopefully it just popped out.
                  You can "just" drop the cover on the bottom of the diff for that, right?

Comment

Your car might just hate you, I know mine sure as hell does.
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Oh sure, mine definitely hates me.

Will, I'm not sure, but I could check if it's possible on my blown diff.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                      X