About to buy my first IX, I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to buy my first IX, I think?

Hey guys, I am completely new to the e30 scene (so much so that I don't even have one yet). I saw one years ago and immediately fell in love, so I've been waiting for the right time to buy one ever since. Ive spent hours on r3v just reading and trying to learn/find the right e30 for me. With that being said:

Im moving to Denver, CO-- For anyone who lives up there, or in a place that gets a bunch of snow, do I really NEED an IX if I am going to use it as a DD?

For a young college graduate who doesn't have a ton of money, am I going to put myself in a hole financially trying to maintain an e30 (particularly an IX?)

Is it common for people to boost/turbo (idk if theres a difference between those) IX's? This link will explain why I ask, and it also explains what I might love to do some day in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adU1V9aiZqM

Anything else at all that might be helpful for me to know, shoot! I appreciate anything you guys might have to add!

Thanks

I've never driven a RWD e30 in the snow, but I've heard that as long as you have decent snow tires, a LSD, and aren't stupid then they are a blast to drive.

As for the maintenance cost, I own both a 325ix and a 325i and neither one is more expensive per se. I don't really notice my self spending more one one or the other when it comes to maintenance. I do spend a lot on "Spares" for the ix, diffs, front axles, engine, transmission, transfer case, steering racks, strut tubes but this is a personal choice and I have these as spares to either modify, rebuild, or for mock up. I spent probably $300 on the strut tubes for the ix while I picked up some for the 325i for $40. Both used and in the same condition, but the difference is just supply and demand.

Now for the turbo aspect of your question. Its been done before many times, and not many people have problems. Big horsepower builds have been to known to break front diffs before (The weak point). Just don't be to hard on the drivetrain and you should be fine under 350 hp or so. One down side to the turbo is you are stuck with the 3.91 diff ratio being the lowest you can get in the ix (unless you're lucky and snag a 3.64 or 3.73 in Europe).
    t is.

Now my personal opinion about owning an ix. I love it, I think its a great car and most of the e30 community just doesn't know enough about it and thats why it gets a bad reputation. Now theres no real room for diff ratio changes, steering rack swaps, 5 lug, or even lowering the car really low but its a great car.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

No, of course not. Decent snow tires and an LSD are a totally acceptable rwd snow strategy. Will the IX totally dominate a rwd e30 with the same tires? Yes. Do you need? No. That said, an IX with all seasons will be more than sufficient unless you decide to do something stupid and that will be cheaper on your wallet. Of course, a rwd e30 on all seasons will still be probably ok as long as you are careful and it'll definitely be cheaper.

You're not going to put yourself in the hole if you do all the maintenance yourself. You will have to have the time and space to pull the front axles and replace the boots fairly commonly if you lower it.

You can turbo it. Of course, you should never, in the same post, talk about how little money you have for maintenance and then ask about turbocharging because that is expensive.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

That helps a ton I really appreciate it guys! I asked because I have been narrowing down my search to IX's only because I figure if I am taking trips to ski in the mountains and driving through the snow, then I will absolutely have to own an AWD e30. Then I come across what seems to be an awesome deal on a RWD e30 and I start to feel like I am going to regret it if I don't jump on a what seems to be a great deal!

Comment

I DD'd my rx-8 for 4 years through (much milder) Maryland winters with snow tires + lsd in the winter. That said, every time it snowed I made a beeline for the door. RWD and snow tires is a really fun combination. Way more fun than AWD.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

The ix will definitely be a lot more practical to drive in the snow than a RWD E30 - the RWD car is serviceable in the snow, but the ix is like taking a sunday cruise on a dry, warm day (assuming snow tires and functioning AWD).

I wouldn't say DON'T get the RWD car, but if it were me, and I was planning on taking a lot of trips to go skiing etc, I'd get an ix that's been well maintained. Leave it stock while you're in school and it should be pretty solid.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I agree with you that it would surely be a ton of fun ripping donuts in the snow haha, but I'm thinking about when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground and I want to make it to the mountains, I'm going to need an e30 thats going to get me there.

I've been told multiple times now to "just be patient and wait for the right one." But its almost impossible to know which one is the right one. However, I think after getting this advice from you guys I need to be patient and wait for an IX.

And in terms of modifications, I'm thinking 5-6 years out before I start messing with boosting it or anything, just thinking ahead.

Comment

I lived up in Vail for 7 years and had studded snows on my iX in the winter and it was a blast to drive. no worries what so ever.
                sigpic

Comment

This all makes me want an e30 that much more. I just recently made friends with a guy who is a BMW Technician and he was helping me buy a particular car I was looking at. Long story short the other deal fell through and he said he would sell me his IX. The guy before him (and him) are BMW CCA members and apparently spent tens of thousands on it with records to prove it. I got to drive it today and it was awesome. But, is 240k miles a lot for one of these? As I was driving it I almost felt scared to push the engine because I was afraid I might break it.

Also, its a dinan car. So its got the chip and exhaust on it. What do you guys think? The guy is an awesome dude and a straight shooter, he's helping me out a lot and I could have asked him the same thing but didn't think of these things on the spot.

Comment

I've always driven my 318i with studded tires, didn't have lsd at the time so it sucked a bit more, then I bought an ix and that thing it's solid. With all the snow we had the car didn't hesitate. I only use the ix mostly on winters only but occasionally the 318i has problems so I drive that.
                    sigpic
                    HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                    " enjoy the show "

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post

Now my personal opinion about owning an ix. I love it, I think its a great car and most of the e30 community just doesn't know enough about it and thats why it gets a bad reputation. Now theres no real room for diff ratio changes, steering rack swaps, 5 lug, or even lowering the car really low but its a great car.
                      You can actually 5lug an ix fairly easily. The hubs are now more difficult to find you need 525ix front hubs, e36/46 m3 front rotors/brakes and a small custom adapter to mount the brake carrier to the strut.

Rears are about the same as a rwd car.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        You can actually 5lug an ix fairly easily. The hubs are now more difficult to find you need 525ix front hubs, e36/46 m3 front rotors/brakes and a small custom adapter to mount the brake carrier to the strut.

Rears are about the same as a rwd car.
                        True, I think you can use 1 series hubs also. I think thats what Nisse runs on his car, but I'm not 100% sure.
                        Last edited by stonea; 04-13-2016, 09:06 PM.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Im getting a lot closer to pulling the trigger on a particular IX I have my eye on. But before I do, what would you guys say I need to be ready for in buying an e30 with about 240k miles? In other words, it would be really helpful to know what usually needs to be done/replaced at around this mileage?

I will say that I have been looking at a bunch of IX's lately and this is BY FAR the most well-maintained one I've seen, which gives me a little peace of mind. But figured I'd still seek some wisdom from you all anyway, it makes me nervous buying a car with that many miles to be honest.

Comment

If the car has been well maintained then it'd just be little stuff to worry about, e30's being old already and at that mileage I wouldn't mind. There are newer car with more miles. Buy it, redo timing belt/ water pump so you are sure it's done, easy-peezi
                            sigpic
                            HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                            " enjoy the show "

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                              True, also I think you can use 1 series hubs also. I think thats what Nisse runs on his car, but I'm not 100% sure.
                              Yes E87 hubs. I think the E34ix ones is 1mm wider so they are basically the same.
                              E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                              E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                              X