Calling all iX daily driver guru's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all iX daily driver guru's!

Well. Where do I start. I suppose I'll start with that I'm looking to buy a newer car when I get back home from Alaska here in a few days. I've probably over thought the whole thing but I've been heartset on an E30 since my freshman year in highschool. I've always lusted after a nice Schwartz 318is, however I've recently become ever so slightly intrigued by the iX line. I am here to ask how insane in the membrane would I have to be to daily one of the AWD cars. I'm looking at a 91 manual coupe here soon, that's in decent enough shape. I'm no stranger to a daily-project (76 2002 getting me through highschool) and am pretty familiar with the non iX E30's. Im really looking into the iX platform for its alleged incredible foul weather handling and performence. I'm moving to a location that gets quite cold in the winters and I would love to have a car I would feel confident driving in the snow.... Any help in making my mind up is greatly appreciated. -N
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Well, it ultimately depends on how well the car was maintained before you'd buy it. I have a 91' manual coupe that I bought almost two years ago. I don't want to talk about the iX specific costs but there's definitely a lot more sense in buying a iX if you have another car to drive rather than the iX year round. My iX is my first e30 and first car I've worked on, I call it project daliy. It has had its fair share of issues like the headgasket 3/4, axle boots, recently the transfer case leaking but not that much so far. Mostly problems because of the previous owner neglecting maintainance but it's been a solid daliy since I went over a lot this summer. Things your going to have to do that are only iX; new guibos, sourcing front axles of it has a ton of miles 190-250k+ Axle boots, change all drivetrain fluids and lubricate the front driveshaft splines. If you want to do suspension the front struts usually rust at the threads, do a jack test before buying. Oh and if your buying a iX for the winter don't run crappy tires, get some winter tires. If you decide to buy an iX just realize that the parts are hard to come by and can be a real pita some times. With your knowladge you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck finding a nice iX if you decide to buy one.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Buy a tube of front driveshaft spline grease...go look at the car...offer to inspect the front driveshaft and lube it...

If the splines are dry and rusty, run away - the PO is not maintaining the car.

P.S. Ask the question: If I get an oil pan leak, am I willing to pull the font shaft, front axles and front differential to seal the oil pan?

Comment

I've been daily driving mine for 4 years al year round in Michigan. I'll second getting snow tires for winter, yes you can have some fun but just because it's awd doesn't mean it will be ok on summer tires. Like everyone else said it depends on how well the car was taken care of and how much time and money you want to spend on it. Mine is sort of a money pit but I did buy it with a blown motor and a viscous coupler that didn't work. It's really paid off for me when it starts snowing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you need a reliable daily driver up in Alaska, you better make sure that the maintenance is absolutely taken care of. As already stated, you have two key issues about staying reliably on the road: the general matter of a 25 year old car, and a car with a bunch of unique parts, some of which are not readily available.
          I dailyish drove a money pit ix that became well sorted over eight years, but I also had a spare car. That said, when it was totaled half a year ago, I bought another.
          Absolutely fun car in the snow. But, if daily reliability is needed, and if money is at all an issue, you can also enjoy an old subaru.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesset View Post
            Well. Where do I start. I suppose I'll start with that I'm looking to buy a newer car when I get back home from Alaska here in a few days. I've probably over thought the whole thing but I've been heartset on an E30 since my freshman year in highschool. I've always lusted after a nice Schwartz 318is, however I've recently become ever so slightly intrigued by the iX line. I am here to ask how insane in the membrane would I have to be to daily one of the AWD cars. I'm looking at a 91 manual coupe here soon, that's in decent enough shape. I'm no stranger to a daily-project (76 2002 getting me through highschool) and am pretty familiar with the non iX E30's. Im really looking into the iX platform for its alleged incredible foul weather handling and performence. I'm moving to a location that gets quite cold in the winters and I would love to have a car I would feel confident driving in the snow.... Any help in making my mind up is greatly appreciated. -N
            If the car is in good shape, I'd have no issues daily driving an IX. Currently mine is at 215,000 miles. However, clean IX's are hard to find especially something that doesn't have rust.

Comment

Just make sure the car is well taken care of and you'll be fine. Mine was my DD for a few years and the only reason its not now is because of a power steering leak and the fact that I prefer my auto 325i in the city.
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I dailied mine for 12 years. I only got another DD because i wanted to work on the E30 without having to keep it running during the week.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yea, if it has not been maintained you will be working on it weekly at best.

Comment

Ive daily driven mine for the last 8 years. its been fine.
                    some old car stuff has happened like the fuel pump died. but other than its been solid.

Comment

bought my iX in 2001 with 135k on the clock. Its been my daily driver ever since. Nothing too major that went wrong, except a fuel pump once about 10 years ago and had to be towed to shop. Front diff went but I saw it coming and limped it around for a few weeks till I got a used one. Even lived at 8k feet in colorado without a garage and it started every single time.

this year I put in a new stoker motor, rebuilt tranny, had all body work and paint done, new headliner and its like a new car. Its all about maintenance and staying on top of problems before they get catastrophic. Knowing who to do a lot yourself helps as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Like ChrisBike said, it's all in the maintenance. I daily an 88ix with 250k+ on the clock and no major issues. I do a little over 300 miles per week and she has never let me down. But I bought the car with service records detailing everything all the way back to when the car was delivered new! I had to replace axle boots, and just ordered my tie rods. But that's nothing unusual for any car.

However, you have to be prepared to shell out some serious cash if something serious breaks. Part of the uniqueness of these cars comes into play when buying parts. For instance, front axle shafts can be $1500 each. So for me, it was cheap insurance to replace the front axle boots as preventative maintenance.

The car I bought had also already had the front driveshaft splines lengthened, which took care of a common problem with these cars. This will hopefully save me money down the road. It all comes down to what has and hasn't been maintained, and what has or hasn't been fixed preventatively.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                          Buy a tube of front driveshaft spline grease...go look at the car...offer to inspect the front driveshaft and lube it...

If the splines are dry and rusty, run away - the PO is not maintaining the car.
                          i don't fully agree with this. i would check it to make sure the splines aren't stripped but i wouldn't worry if all the tires match.

i daylied one for about two years. had to fix a ton of stuff including the transfer case when i got it. once i had the bugs worked out, the car was awesome. the only reason i don't have it anymore is because i traded it for the mtech 2 in my signature.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Just my humorous/non-humerous way of giving fair warning to a dude who might rather spend his time on his snow board in the winter and enjoy his 2002 in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                            X