Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 325ix suggestions

Hi new member here.

I bought a 88 325ix a few months ago. Throw out bearing was squeeling and now when the clutch pedal is pressed to put it in gear, it stalls the car immediately.

Looking at new clutches.. Should I go with something other than oem?
    I might do some future performance upgrades but probably not a turbo.

Also thinking of putting in a JB aluminum flywheel 8lbs while I'm in there.. Will it effect my drivability on the street in a bad way?

Thanks in advance
    Jaime
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaime88325ix; 11-28-2016, 10:49 AM. Reason: Add photo

Hey James welcome to R3v; Get a Race Hardware delvelopment flywheel.. half the pirice, 7lbs. It will probably be more difficult than stock to be smooth but the throttle response is hugely improved. I'd just go with OE clutch. If your not doing turbo then it will hold up fine.

Edit: I have no experience with the RHD flywheel; Berlow makes a good point. With some basic research it seems like it would be a better idea to find a machine shop that can lighten it to 12.5- 15 seems to be good (just depends on the shop). I almost bought a RHD Flywheel today; now I am reconsidering.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chrisbike; 11-28-2016, 11:52 PM.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Remember this very carefully: Everything you do that is not stock will reduce drivability in some form.

I have the 8.5lb flywheel, I like it. I'd get it again. Well, maybe I'd get the RHD flywheel since it's cheaper. Does the RPMs drop as it stalls out or does it die, unrelated to the engine speed? For example, are you stalling the car out like you messed up starting the car out in 1st gear?

Congrats on the car btw, Black over Cardinal is a great combination.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Thanks for the replys!

i will look into the RHD flywheel.

it stalls immediately when you press down the clutch.. a few days before it was drive able.. with just the throw out bearing making loud noises between shifts. i also would feal a pulsation in the clutch when depressing it.

im assuming its all due to a bad clutch?

btw, is there a link/thread to the clutch replacement procedure on a ix?

Comment

Sure, the ix got a little more mass to get rolling but the low gearing will help! I would go with a light flywheel :)

Yeah, it sounds like clutch related!
          E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
          E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I would not recommend going that light on the flywheel. An 8 lb flywheel is nice on a race car but its pointless on the street.
            Especially for an IX i would recommend a lightened stock flywheel or a >15lb. aftermarket one.
            Again, on a rwd car, sure go ahead. But IX's like a little heavier flywheel.
            As far as clutch's go i've never had any problems with the Sachs HD kit with a worked N/A motor. If you are turboing then you might want something stronger.
            The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

interesting... ok.

Do you know who makes a 15lb flywheel? also figured by the time i take the old one to get shaved and resurfaced it would cost more than simply buying an aftermarket lighter one.

and is it because of the greater drive train loss that i wouldn't see a difference from a lighter flywheel?

even if i dont see a difference it wouldnt hurt it right?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jaime88325ix View Post
                interesting... ok.

Do you know who makes a 15lb flywheel? also figured by the time i take the old one to get shaved and resurfaced it would cost more than simply buying an aftermarket lighter one.

and is it because of the greater drive train loss that i wouldn't see a difference from a lighter flywheel?

even if i dont see a difference it wouldnt hurt it right?

thanks

Lighter flywheels negatively effect the harmonics of the engine.
                There is a reason why BMW race teams will only use factory flywheels on S54 race cars. If you put a lightweight flywheel on one of those you actually have to run cooling ducts to the harmonic damper.

I don't hunk it has to do with the drivetrain loss, but more to do with the weight of the driveline. The moving driveline components on the IX add up to twice the weight of the moving parts on a rwd e30.

You can have a machine shop lighten he backside of your flywheel, re-surface the clutch side, and balance it for $75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I ran a stock flywheel on my turbo ix but then switched to a m5 clutch and 8lb uuc flywheel, and it I'd highly recommend it. The motor revs so much smoother and downshifting is much nicer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

if your car is highly modified, a super light flywheel would make sense. But seeing how that ix is essentially stock, putting what is basically a race flywheel on a street engine doesn't really fit together and you will probably regret it.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                      Hey James welcome to R3v; Get a Race Hardware delvelopment flywheel.. half the pirice, 7lbs. It will probably be more difficult than stock to be smooth but the throttle response is hugely improved. I'd just go with OE clutch. If your not doing turbo then it will hold up fine.

Edit: I have no experience with the RHD flywheel; Berlow makes a good point. With some basic research it seems like it would be a better idea to find a machine shop that can lighten it to 12.5- 15 seems to be good (just depends on the shop). I almost bought a RHD Flywheel today; now I am reconsidering.

Love the meme! Hahahaha

Funny with how rarely I actually am a voice of reason!

I agree with Nando btw.

Comment

hahahahahah

I still should buy new flywheel bolts, even if reusing the old flywheel, right?

Called a shop and they tod me in order to balance the flywheel, they would need my cransaft to do it...?

I appreciate you all's inputs!

thnx
                        Last edited by jaime88325ix; 11-29-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime88325ix View Post
                          hahahahahah

I still should buy new flywheel bolts, even if reusing the old flywheel, right?

Called a shop and they tod me in order to balance the flywheel, they would need my cransaft to do it...?

I appreciate you all's inputs!

thnx

Yes I would get new bolts. They are cheap enough and that's not something that you want letting go at 6k rpm.

Find another machine shop. They might be mistaking that you want the rotating assembly balanced. Crank, rods, Pistons, clutch, flywheel, harmonic damper, and all associated hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                            Lighter flywheels negatively effect the harmonics of the engine.
                            I call BS. A lightweight flywheel really only affects gears 1 and 2 in acceleration. As the multiplier of the gears go down, so does the effect of the flywheel.

I want to see some hard data here. I'm willing to be wrong, but I want to see the data why I'm wrong because I don't believe it.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                            X