Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on rust-fixable?

Hey Guys,

Still going through the "rust free" 91 ix I bought off this forum from NEO. Seemed like the rust was mostly fender wheels and not structural until I found these holes today on the rear passenger spring perch area.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Rust

Another pic
    Attached Files
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Rust

One more....
      Attached Files
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I'd say it's fixable. Whether the car is worth fixing as a whole, and whether or not you have the skills to fix it are the bigger questions IMO. But it doesn't look like it spreads too far, and the patch looks like it should be a simple shape to make. If you have to remake the spring plate, that should be simple to make as well. Just a matter of whether or not it's worth doing IMO.

Comment

If you can weld, then it's not hard to cut the perch out of a donor car and splice it in.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I'm currently doing/getting started to do this repair, it's even a bit worse than yours.
            I suggest removing the plate where the spring sits against as there will be rust between the perch and the chassis rail.
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm no welder, so I have to pay someone to do it, as well as some large holes in the rear wheel wells.

Interestingly the car has no holes in any of the body panels. Paint is decent and all the body panels have matching VIN tags, and transfer case and mechanicals seem ok.

I'm just looking for a fun winter beater/ski car, so if the repairs aren't too expensive, I will try to save her.

Do you think it's safe to drive to a shop?
              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

It's probably fine to drive to the shop as long as you take it easy and aren't hitting any big pot holes. Most of the perches and sides are still there. It is bad, and I wouldn't suggest driving it anywhere else, but you should be okay for a short drive to get it repaired.

Comment

Definitely fixable. Up to you if it's worth it.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by cscracker View Post
                    It's probably fine to drive to the shop as long as you take it easy and aren't hitting any big pot holes. Most of the perches and sides are still there. It is bad, and I wouldn't suggest driving it anywhere else, but you should be okay for a short drive to get it repaired.
                    I drove it like this from Cleveland (where I bought it) to Vermont lol! This was when it was still "rust free"....it sure was making some strange sounds on that ride!
                    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Here is my work in progress of my repair
                      Before, one of the previous owners had welded a plate over the hole..

And we got a chassis rail again! Make sure you have good penetration!
                      I also had to weld in a patch on the vertical section pictured here

I made a jig that references of the other spring perch made outof 2 small vertical tubes that are connected with a long square tube. I also took a lot of measurements before removing the old disc.
                      Couldn't make the new disc yet as the local metal supply store didn't have 2,5mm thick sheet in stock.
                      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Like everyone else is saying, its definitely fixable, but its up to you if its worth it. I had almost the exact same problem and I paid someone to weld in a new patch. It was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done financially, but it was worth it to me.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                          Here is my work in progress of my repair
                          Before, one of the previous owners had welded a plate over the hole..

And we got a chassis rail again! Make sure you have good penetration!
                          I also had to weld in a patch on the vertical section pictured here

I made a jig that references of the other spring perch made outof 2 small vertical tubes that are connected with a long square tube. I also took a lot of measurements before removing the old disc.
                          Couldn't make the new disc yet as the local metal supply store didn't have 2,5mm thick sheet in stock.
                          Looks great! Wish I had those skills!
                          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            Like everyone else is saying, its definitely fixable, but its up to you if its worth it. I had almost the exact same problem and I paid someone to weld in a new patch. It was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done financially, but it was worth it to me.
                            Mind me asking what you paid for the repair? I have no idea what something like this repair should cost...
                            1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I honestly don't remember. It was a while back and it there was a lot of big purchases at the time.
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                              X