325iX m20 crank scraper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325iX m20 crank scraper

Hey IXer’s just wanted to make a quick post to inform those who were looking for a crank scraper for their m20. Some of you may know I’m about to boost my e30 and the way I drive it, the engine is going to have some oil surge or starvation issue especially when boosted.

Credit to Andrew Young who told me about this company that makes both stock 2.5L (75mm stroke) which I think would work with a 81mm crank (would have to reach out to them). They also 84mm + crank scrapers for $30 more.

Some of you might have already heard of them since it looks like it has been around since 2004 but nevertheless here’s the link and hopefully they aren’t defunct.
    Last edited by Chrisbike; 12-24-2018, 10:18 PM.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

The site looks like it hasnt been updated since 2004, but yeah, nice find if they're still putting out orders.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Note: They make the clearances deliberately tight. Put the scraper in without sealant (you need gaskets for spacing) and confirm that it fully clears. You’ll be annoyed if the crank is literally scraping when you fire the engine up. BTDT.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I have one of their scrapers and just finished grinding it to fit my 2.8 stroker crank. I also installed a baffle in the pan and now am wondering if this is a good combination or is it going to keep TOO MUCH oil down?

Comment

Been dealing with Kevin at IJ scrapers for years. It's a mom-and-pop shop, so they aren't lightning fast at production, but very nice people to deal with, and have a great product (they originated the trap door style scrapers).

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          Note: They make the clearances deliberately tight. Put the scraper in without sealant (you need gaskets for spacing) and confirm that it fully clears. You’ll be annoyed if the crank is literally scraping when you fire the engine up. BTDT.

Always check, but I have only noticed the Teflon versions to be close with stock cranks. The stroker versions are tight due to the fact that most people are turning down the bob weights to clear the m20 pistons - so - they make them tight to the stock crank and have the end user trim it to fit their turned down crank.

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
          I have one of their scrapers and just finished grinding it to fit my 2.8 stroker crank. I also installed a baffle in the pan and now am wondering if this is a good combination or is it going to keep TOO MUCH oil down?

Can't really "keep too much down" since down is where you want the oil so the pick up tube never meets air. What a scraper does, is remove the excess oil droplets from the crank to lighten it, as well as keep the oil vapors in the crankcase to a minimum (your crank has to move through these droplets, inherently slowing it down).
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

:up:

Comment

They made me an ix specific scraper years ago. If they still have that pattern, it should fit the ix, but a rwd scraper won't.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X