325ix front wheel shake, and clunking over bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix front wheel shake, and clunking over bumps

I have a 91 325ix with 219k, i get a weird shaking at exactly 50mph while crusing. I also have a clunking when going straight over bumps from only the passenger side, it seems to not clunk while i am slightly over bumps with the brakes on, but i dont know if that is true or not. Doesnt matter when i turn over bumps or not. I have gotten under the car and replaced the passenger side sway bar mount, and i have new bushings for the sway bar are on the way. What are some things i can check for, i got under the car and was pushing things around but nothing seems to clunk.

I have read that the subframe bolts could be loose, do you think this is a possibility?

control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, strut mounts..

If you have loose subframe bolts, something is really really wrong. They are huge and really tight.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Control arm bushings where just replaced today, made some change but still there is a slight clunk on passenger side, the rods are tight, no play, must be somethijng strut related. There is still no source for inner the rods on ix?

Edit; just check strut nut on top, the thing is just spinning like there is no thread engagement. I have new strut hats, and I can't even replace them because of this. How do you remove them from the strut if it just keeps spinning, I have the special tool and can see that the inner threaded part is not rotating when I turn the nut. I guess this must be the cause of my clunking anyway. What's the best way to remove all of this? I probably need new shocks if it won't spin off.
      Last edited by rwtags; 09-15-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I had a slight clunk and figured out when I initially installed the front struts into the housing, they were ever so threaded loosely. I lifted up the strut accordion boot and took a big monkey wrench to the top of the strut.....and gave it 1-2 turns until tight....and it solved my issue.
        www.instagram.com/snwmble
        #snwmble

Current:
        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

After strut mount and new shocks the clunk seems to be gone. There was a lot of play in the old strut tower bearings, and lots of metal particles in their grease. New ones were needed, those might have been the original. Glad I fixed that.

Comment

Working...
          X