Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ix quick ratio steering rack now available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erwendell View Post
    Doesn't the rack then need to be shortened by 29mm on each side? I thought that in order to maintain the designed bump steer and Ackerman characteristics the tie rod inner to outer ball joint center lengths need to be the same as before. Using shorter tie rods to compensate for a longer rack changes both pivot to pivot length and the angle.
    I'm no steering guru so that's why I'm posting the info I could gather on there.
    to hopefully figure this out with a couple of you guys!

I'll look further into this topic
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Nice project, good luck.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Super cool and something I've been wanting in my iX for a while now. Will be following along closely, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by madman23 View Post
          This is awesome. Definitely some great work!!! Am I right to assume the rack is rebuilt?
          Heard back from Kent today on this topic. "Our racks are resealed where needed, but are not completely remanufactured. They carry a 2 year warranty against leaks." So take that for what it's worth.

Also the racks are selling for $1400 + shipping (not $1825 as previously mentioned here). You get $200 back if you return a core to them, although shipping likely eats a lot of that up as well, depending on where you're located.

Comment

You forgot the steering linkage if you don't have an airbag car, so that's $1400+$250. Not sure where I got $1825. But it would be $1650+shipping now. Which is probably another $150.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

This is awesome. I've been looking into this for years and never got anywhere. IMO, $1200 is well worth it when considering what a new ix rack must cost now.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X