Dust off your ix's fellas.....Time to cash in!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster

    It surprises me that bidders didn't have an issue with a high mileage ix, which would be an actual concern for me on that model unlike others.
    I'm sure the high mileage brought down the value a bit on this one. These ix's are so well built and durable that a WELL KEPT, non-rusty high mileage one like this is still worth a good chunk of change.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by E30andy
    Attached is the most recent BaT ix. Really nice original high mileage rust free 88ix converted to plastic bumpers...

    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-325ix-24/
    It surprises me that bidders didn't have an issue with a high mileage ix, which would be an actual concern for me on that model unlike others.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    replied
    Attached is the most recent BaT ix. Really nice original high mileage rust free 88ix converted to plastic bumpers...

    Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325iX 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #42,508.

    Leave a comment:


  • moatilliatta
    replied
    Not even an 88 or sport seats... dang.

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Taylortafoya@hotmail.com
    That’s right! I was debating on which one I liked more. Yours had less mileage I believe and a different interior? Few more little things...I remember seeing it over and over. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your car was cooler, that is for certain!! My car just had a freshie fresh suspension/drivetrain.

    Leave a comment:


  • Taylortafoya@hotmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB
    I had an almost identical car for sale at the same time! The one you got had much cooler bits on it. Mine stayed in Indy, and then he sold it to someone else right away.
    That’s right! I was debating on which one I liked more. Yours had less mileage I believe and a different interior? Few more little things...I remember seeing it over and over. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Taylortafoya@hotmail.com
    NC...it’s been 2 years this May I might have my usernames mixed though, it might not have been yours...I recognize your tag. Either way it’s such a cool car
    I had an almost identical car for sale at the same time! The one you got had much cooler bits on it. Mine stayed in Indy, and then he sold it to someone else right away.

    Leave a comment:


  • Taylortafoya@hotmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB
    Did you buy my white iX or the one in NC?
    NC...it’s been 2 years this May I might have my usernames mixed though, it might not have been yours...I recognize your tag. Either way it’s such a cool car

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Taylortafoya@hotmail.com
    And I sure do love that $6500 ix! Lol it fits in excellently here in NM. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you buy my white iX or the one in NC?

    Leave a comment:


  • Taylortafoya@hotmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB
    This^^ I genuinely think that sale was an anomaly. I think the seller did a fantastic job with details and photos, and this is a testament to the value of those two things as they reflect on an auction. No options, reseale red, comfort interior, manual trans, low spec- it didn't even have premium sound. I just don't get it. That car was the same exact spec/milage/completeness as the alpine white sedan that I totally redid that sat on the market for a year before I let it go for $6500. BAT is all over the place with iXes too, which makes it even more confusing/frustrating, because now the for sale section will be littered with 10-15K iXes. I'm happy values are going up on one end, but on the other hand, to me the "value" of what an e30 used to be (ie, cheap buy in, fun car) is what makes it so cool/special. It's just like an m3. There isn't near enough of a driving experience there for $50K, and likewise an iX for $25K.
    And I sure do love that $6500 ix! Lol it fits in excellently here in NM. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB

    I agree, it's just a car, IMO. However, that may be a hard pill to swallow when you're driving behind a brine truck in a snow storm haha.

    The thing with the iX is that it is more of a tool than other E30 variants- it's not a great driving experience unless being used as intended. I would take a RWD E30 over an iX in every situation outside of a snowy climate daily driver, which makes the situation unique.

    My brother has been driving his iX (he got it rust free almost 10 years ago) as his only vehicle through PA winters all of this time. He just tore it down to do rust repair this year and it has not been fun, but it was easily saveable.

    RP-432 is your best friend, make sure your drains are clean, undercarriage wash regularly, etc.

    As values rise, we're going to feel worse and worse about driving these cars and enjoying them, as they'll become a commodity as toaster pointed out.

    But ultimately, think about the $11K you just spent compared to that of a new car. Most folks I know lose $11K in the first year of depreciation on their new car, so if you think about it purely as an investment, even if your iX became worth $0 somehow (which is literally impossible due to increasing value of parts) after driving it for 10 years, you're still going to be in a much better position than most of the other folks on the road driving their depreciated shitboxes, all the meanwhile, getting to enjoy your driving experience every day.
    Pretty much my feelings right there thank you AWDBOB! I cant bring myself to buy a new car for several reasons including cost, depreciation, too complex, lack of feel, poor visibility, being several. Lets face it guys, we all are driving unique, rare, cool, and practical 30+ year old cars! I really tried to like the VW R32 but just couldnt pull the trigger. My wife has a 2016 Honda HRV and I dont enjoy driving it.

    Now get off my lawn!

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by E30andy

    I will admit, I did waffle a bit on this rust free ix I'm getting for the reasons you brought up, but in the end, life is short, and I am sick of driving a beater all winter. I'm in my mid-fifties and need a more respectable car!
    I'm hoping I wont baby the nice ix, because like you stated, driving the beater ix like I stole it is alot of fun!
    If I find I cant tolerate the thought of it slowly rusting away, or I dont enjoy driving it as much because I am babying it, I will probably list it up for sale and buy another beater.
    I agree, it's just a car, IMO. However, that may be a hard pill to swallow when you're driving behind a brine truck in a snow storm haha.

    The thing with the iX is that it is more of a tool than other E30 variants- it's not a great driving experience unless being used as intended. I would take a RWD E30 over an iX in every situation outside of a snowy climate daily driver, which makes the situation unique.

    My brother has been driving his iX (he got it rust free almost 10 years ago) as his only vehicle through PA winters all of this time. He just tore it down to do rust repair this year and it has not been fun, but it was easily saveable.

    RP-432 is your best friend, make sure your drains are clean, undercarriage wash regularly, etc.

    As values rise, we're going to feel worse and worse about driving these cars and enjoying them, as they'll become a commodity as toaster pointed out.

    But ultimately, think about the $11K you just spent compared to that of a new car. Most folks I know lose $11K in the first year of depreciation on their new car, so if you think about it purely as an investment, even if your iX became worth $0 somehow (which is literally impossible due to increasing value of parts) after driving it for 10 years, you're still going to be in a much better position than most of the other folks on the road driving their depreciated shitboxes, all the meanwhile, getting to enjoy your driving experience every day.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    The reality, for me at least, was when my E30 wasn't actually nice (steelies, damaged seats, but a great body shell) I enjoyed it more and really drove it like I stole it everywhere, in all weather. Once it got to be nicer and was no longer my DD I just didn't love it as much for whatever reason. Even though I no longer drove it in anything but decent weather, it was only then that rust started to creep in as I wasn't washing it as much, missed a winter prep or two, and was not spending as much time doing maintenance, so I was more likely to miss a new problem.
    I will admit, I did waffle a bit on this rust free ix I'm getting for the reasons you brought up, but in the end, life is short, and I am sick of driving a beater all winter. I'm in my mid-fifties and need a more respectable car!
    I'm hoping I wont baby the nice ix, because like you stated, driving the beater ix like I stole it is alot of fun!
    If I find I cant tolerate the thought of it slowly rusting away, or I dont enjoy driving it as much because I am babying it, I will probably list it up for sale and buy another beater.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    The reality, for me at least, was when my E30 wasn't actually nice (steelies, damaged seats, but a great body shell) I enjoyed it more and really drove it like I stole it everywhere, in all weather. Once it got to be nicer and was no longer my DD I just didn't love it as much for whatever reason. Even though I no longer drove it in anything but decent weather, it was only then that rust started to creep in as I wasn't washing it as much, missed a winter prep or two, and was not spending as much time doing maintenance, so I was more likely to miss a new problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930

    You're not seriously going to drive a rust free E30 in Vermont winters and just let it rust away are you? That would be an extremely stupid thing to do.
    Well I'm going to do everything I can to keep the rust at bay, but its inevitable. I have a rusty beater now that will become a parts car for the new ix, but its my personal belief that it is "just a car" and I will be using it as BMW intended in a part of the country that it was designed for. What good is an ix sitting in a garage during the winter, or being driven in the south where it never can be enjoyed in the snow?

    Leave a comment:

Working...