Dust off your ix's fellas.....Time to cash in!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e30davie
    replied
    Imagine how much more it would have sold for without the
    Car bra.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    At a minimum, I would liberally prep the car's underside and other crevices, such as behind the front wheel and the drains in the bottoms of the doors to keep rust at bay for as long as possible, and immediately attend to any rust spots that do show up, before they get to a point of needing metal replacement. To drive it into the ground and destroy a perfectly good E30 in 5-10 years is just a waste of a good car.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930

    You're not seriously going to drive a rust free E30 in Vermont winters and just let it rust away are you? That would be an extremely stupid thing to do.
    Pretty sure he has a less than perfect example already. Also, driving it, maintaining it and enjoying it seems a much better use for even the best E30s rather than letting them rot away unused, even more so for an ix, since they are winter cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by E30andy

    Another good point! I really think of mine as kinda disposable due to rust issues here in Vermont. Drive them and enjoy as a classic daily driver, but know they will eventually rust away so dont pay too much upfront. I'm kinda torn about the one I'm getting out of Montana with no rust as I know over 5-10 years of winter use it will slowly dissolve and be worth nothing.
    You're not seriously going to drive a rust free E30 in Vermont winters and just let it rust away are you? That would be an extremely stupid thing to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Guys, are these commodities or relatively common cars to enjoy driving? I ask as it seems like we are getting to the tipping point where they are going to just be the former, and thus cannot be the latter as that would damage the value of the product.

    If that happens I really feel like E30s will just be poser cars for insufferable people.
    Another good point! I really think of mine as kinda disposable due to rust issues here in Vermont. Drive them and enjoy as a classic daily driver, but know they will eventually rust away so dont pay too much upfront. I'm kinda torn about the one I'm getting out of Montana with no rust as I know over 5-10 years of winter use it will slowly dissolve and be worth nothing.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Guys, are these commodities or relatively common cars to enjoy driving? I ask as it seems like we are getting to the tipping point where they are going to just be the former, and thus cannot be the latter as that would damage the value of the product.

    If that happens I really feel like E30s will just be poser cars for insufferable people.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB

    This^^

    I genuinely think that sale was an anomaly. I think the seller did a fantastic job with details and photos, and this is a testament to the value of those two things as they reflect on an auction.

    No options, reseale red, comfort interior, manual trans, low spec- it didn't even have premium sound. I just don't get it.

    That car was the same exact spec/milage/completeness as the alpine white sedan that I totally redid that sat on the market for a year before I let it go for $6500.

    BAT is all over the place with iXes too, which makes it even more confusing/frustrating, because now the for sale section will be littered with 10-15K iXes.

    I'm happy values are going up on one end, but on the other hand, to me the "value" of what an e30 used to be (ie, cheap buy in, fun car) is what makes it so cool/special. It's just like an m3. There isn't near enough of a driving experience there for $50K, and likewise an iX for $25K.
    Very well put AWDBOB! Kinda my thoughts exactly. Low spec 4 door ix with comfort seats, hard to believe it went for $25K. The delivery mile E30 M3 that went for $250k on BaT really blew my mind!

    The ix I am buying in a few days out of Montana is an 88 with over 200k miles, no rust, brand new paint, redone leather heated sport seats, premium sound, etc. I am paying $11k for it (plus shipping to VT). Based on the red 4 door BaT car, I should be able to turn around and put it on BaT and get > $25k for it!

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Unpopular opinion, but E30s aren't worth $25,000, but on the back of this "sale" or speculative purchase it's likely that we'll see this car for sale in about a year, with the seller hoping for $30,000 after doing no maintenance, and driving it for 600 miles.
    This^^

    I genuinely think that sale was an anomaly. I think the seller did a fantastic job with details and photos, and this is a testament to the value of those two things as they reflect on an auction.

    No options, reseale red, comfort interior, manual trans, low spec- it didn't even have premium sound. I just don't get it.

    That car was the same exact spec/milage/completeness as the alpine white sedan that I totally redid that sat on the market for a year before I let it go for $6500.

    BAT is all over the place with iXes too, which makes it even more confusing/frustrating, because now the for sale section will be littered with 10-15K iXes.

    I'm happy values are going up on one end, but on the other hand, to me the "value" of what an e30 used to be (ie, cheap buy in, fun car) is what makes it so cool/special. It's just like an m3. There isn't near enough of a driving experience there for $50K, and likewise an iX for $25K.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Unpopular opinion, but E30s aren't worth $25,000, but on the back of this "sale" or speculative purchase it's likely that we'll see this car for sale in about a year, with the seller hoping for $30,000 after doing no maintenance, and driving it for 600 miles.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30andy
    started a topic Dust off your ix's fellas.....Time to cash in!

    Dust off your ix's fellas.....Time to cash in!

    Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325ix Sedan 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #35,661.


    This must be the highest sale price for an ix ever? Is this just an anomaly or are good ix's really worth this kind of money?
Working...