Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Repaint Project - Look Over My Scope-Of-Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id imagine having it done in mexico would be worthwhile just have to find the right people. Here in Australia almost all the interior trim work is sent to Asia due to labour rates
    We're out there in here.

Comment

Great list. Nothing to add that I can think of. I had both my 2002s painted at a shop in Hollister but I don't believe they do it any longer...

I need to paint my '91 here in Austin and the list is excellent and much appreciated.

I agree with the "here is what I want done" approach rather than a drop off and pray approach...

Jason

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
      1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
      1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
      2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

This is a good list. Thank you for such a detailed disassembly, I want to take note of it myself. I also shop in my area. What about factory sealant? This is a very big problem: with age, it cracks and can seep inside.
        I'm going to tackle some areas of my car at wall work, I want to protect the body from rust, and I think I will either do it myself or wait, because now the prices are high.

Comment

Yes, the factory sealant is a concern to me as well, especially up around the firewall inside of the air inlets at the bottom of the dash. On top of that, water that runs down the right side A-pillar seems to be making its way under the fender and into the engine bay near the hood bracket. The fender needs to be removed for me to figure out what is going on there.

Anyway, at this point the project remains on hold due to the silly increases in labor + material costs in my area.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

My red car was just around 11k to paint and body and they were generous as it actually billed out higher in the end. My white car was 4k and the guy didnt do anywhere near what was claimed. It turned out bad in my opinion. It is going to the guy who did my red one to fix the issues. Anyone saying 10k+ isnt really being unreasonable. Consider the cars are all 30+ years old. Paint is hard, clear is chipping etc..., dings, light rust, and all parts are fairly brittle which requires some real care to remove. Your on the west coast so im assuming prices a higher so 15k or more seems normal?

Comment

Resurrecting this thread.

I have been talking to local shops for the last couple of months. Most are still saying that they do not want to do a full repaint for me, even if I deliver a fully disassembled car to them. Apparently body work and paint are a tough business, and profitability is mostly achieved with smaller jobs from collision repairs. There are a couple of shops that said that they would do it, but that the cost was going to be no less than $20k and the wait would be 8-18 months.

However, I did talk to a shop this morning based on a referral from a former coworker. The guy there actually did some TIG welding for me for the little stainless adapter for my ECU conversion project, and I had a good experience dealing with him then. It turns out that they do a small number of "restorations" like what I am looking to do every year, and he has done several E30's before. As of now I am waiting for a more firm cost estimate, but the verbal guesstimate was definitely not $20k thankfully. I am guessing that it will be in the $10-15k range, not including the thousands of dollars that I already spent on new window seals, trim pieces, clips, etc.. The one remaining thing that I am contemplating is getting all new OEM glass. The front windshield is a little pitted, the passenger door window has a gouge in it from who knows what 20 years ago, and all of the glass has sort of a nasty etched finish from years of acidic rain due to SMOG. Unfortunately, the glass would be...not inexpensive.

The scope of work will include having the doors, hood, trunk, and front fenders off of the car, and full 2-stage PPG paint in factory code 308 Brilliantrot. There is a little rust under the trunk battery tray, as there so often is due to (I assume) acidic battery drainage, and a small dent under the right tail light from a little accident many years ago, but no other body work that I am (yet) aware of.

Fingers crossed that this works out. The paint is in bad shape! God help me I may finally get this thing painted!

Comment

Likely they will find many more dents dings etc...unless you do bodywork often i guarantee you missed a lot of it. Ive had two e30 painted in the past 2 years. Full paint and body the one i thought was better then the other was actually worse once the paint was stripped down.

Comment

Good news here! I have a drop-off date for the car of May 22! The shop is ready and willing to do this, we settled on a price, and I have a clear plan for prepping the car before calling AAA to tow it over. I'll post up some progress pics as I start pulling it apart in the next week or two.

Comment

Good news! Thanks for the update.

Comment

I have a project thread going for this now:

Comment

Working...
                      X