Cosmooolineee!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmooolineee!!!!

I know it's been discussed before, but I wanted to start a new one.

I've used Castrol Super Clean.

I've used Simple Green. (I let it sit for 30 minutes)

I've thought of using Brakecleen - but I like my paint...

I've used some engine foam cleaner.

NOTHING IS WORKING! This is REFUSES to come off. If I scrub like MAD I can slooowly remove it from the paint, using simple green and a scotch brite pad (a green, fairly rough one) - but if I hit the paint at all, it scratches the hell out of it.

I'll get pictures up soon. I pretty much went thru my entire engine bay, and made it...well mostly...spotless. I'm getting pissed off at the cosmoline, cause it's clean - but the shit makes my engine bay look like crap.

The weird thing is, I can scrap at it with my finger nail, and it'll start coming off (thanks to simple green, I think) - but Ir eally don't feel like scraping with my fingernail for 24 hours straight.

I need more ideas. This is really bugging me, and I want it gooone.

I'm to the point where I'm ready to clean out everything in the engine bay (around areas with cosmoline), sand it down to the base, and spray it with some base and re-clear it. But, then everything will look off - so I just want it gone! lol

DISCUSS! :D
    - Sean Hayes

Did a search on this board & others when going thru the same thing. The best thing for cosmoline removal is steam. It melts at @ 140 degrees & can be wiped off. Go to Lowes or Home Depot & get a small "Shark" steamer to do the job. They are @$39.00 & you can find them on sale frequently (just saw an ad for them at Macy's). Best investment you'll ever make - the accumulation of "snake oil" chemicals, that won't do this job, will quickly exceed the cost of a steamer.
    Jack
    [I

Comment

I'm in pretty much the same spot as you, although simple green did remove a lot of the cosmoline from the plastic bits in my engine bay. I had read about the steamers melting away cosmoline (that's what gun restorers use), I'll probably give it a shot when I have my engine pulled out.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Try a stainless steel brush, keep the surface wet with the solution you're using, and keep at it! 3M General Purpose Cleaner worked well for me.

Comment

steel brush on paint? uh, no! ;)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            steel brush on paint? uh, no! ;)
            Yea, I think he was thinking my valve cover or something.

I read that today after abit of research.

Makes sesnse. If it's baked on...why not bake it off?

I'll definately look into a steamer! Thanks for the tip guys!

I hope I cna get this off and get my engine bay looking new again! it's SOO close - too bad it looks torques! (sp?)

;)
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1
              Did a search on this board & others when going thru the same thing. The best thing for cosmoline removal is steam. It melts at @ 140 degrees & can be wiped off. Go to Lowes or Home Depot & get a small "Shark" steamer to do the job. They are @$39.00 & you can find them on sale frequently (just saw an ad for them at Macy's). Best investment you'll ever make - the accumulation of "snake oil" chemicals, that won't do this job, will quickly exceed the cost of a steamer.
              Jack
              I'm not finding any handheld steam cleaners are either home depot or lowes. I found this one at sears, but it's $50.http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Just checked...how convenient...I can't pick it up at the store! Friggen A. God dammit, this is gay. LOL

I'm found this one at lowes: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...82-35389-S3325

Help? lol
              Last edited by Sean; 06-22-2006, 02:39 PM.
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

I've used a steamer and it didn't work. I guess it wasn't over 140?
                ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
                  I'm probably going to try a heatgun too.

I could always try a steamer later, considering all the cosmoline is on the sides - so I can put my engine in with it there. lol
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

paint scraper or chisel.
                    : : 1984 318i : : PNW E30 Crew : : Sold!!
                    Now becoming the R3vlimited Pro3 car
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=93780

Comment

You do realize this is in my engine bay...right? Not ON my engine?

I'd really not like to have to repaint my engine bay. If I do that, I'll use a power sander or something.

So...yea, kinda eliminates possibility of using a chisel of paint scraper.
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                        I'm not finding any handheld steam cleaners are either home depot or lowes. I found this one at sears, but it's $50.http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Just checked...how convenient...I can't pick it up at the store! Friggen A. God dammit, this is gay. LOL

I'm found this one at lowes: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...82-35389-S3325

Help? lol
                        The one at Lowes is the one I got - model s3325 - wheels that let it roll, larger capicity, & a wand to get into those tight places - beware the hand held ones, they get heavy & cumbersome in tight areas. I paid $39 for mine on sale - shop around & you will find them cheaper - some are even on ebay

Wire brush ? NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
                        heat gun ? can be used but can also bubble the paint - try it inside your wheel wells first, their is usually some cosmoline on paint in this location. Perfect your removal method first, before you move to you engine bay.
                        [I

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
                          May have been the temp wasn't quite hot enough OR the dealers used to take brand new cars (while they were detailing them to put on the lot) & spray clear lacquer in the engine bay to make it look real new & shiney. It does have a dull sheen (18+ yrs of engine bay heat) but NOT the yellowish tint of cosmoline. Much more time consuming to remove right, than cosmoline.
                          [I

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by egk2
                              And where can I get that?

I tried searchin around, and didn't find any in town. I'll stop by Lowes sometime and check them out.

I tried the heatgun, combined with a scouring pad and simple green - I rubbed for a good 20 minutes. It's coming off, but not easily - and in some places, not at all.

Here's a couple pictures showing how gay cosmoline is:

Don't get me wrong, I got this engine bay cleean. But, COME ON - this cosmoline makes it looks SOO SHITTY. It ruins it entirely.

I just wish it would come off already! LOL

The flash kinda hides it in some of them - but you can still see it! lol
                              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                              X