How much to fix cracked frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much to fix cracked frame?

I have a 318is and the frame is cracked in two places in the front right. I think that the frame was initially tweaked a bit and finally failed when I redid the suspension with stiffer parts. There are some pics attached.

Any idea how much this will be to repair? Is it even worth saving? Also, if anyone has any good body shop reccomdations in the Sacramento area, that would be rad.

i had this problem. what i did was i took the paint off and had some dude weld it for me. you most likely have cracks closer to the firewall where the ac pipes go into. the one i didn't have is the lower one on the shock mount. to answer your question i paid 20 for the welder to weld it for me.

Comment

Not your frame, the thing that's cracked is your seam sealer from the factory it just gets old and rots away in places. A auto body place can re seam seal it and paint it but I'd wait for a engine bay respray and have the whole thing seam sealed and painted.
      PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Look In the inner fender around fire wall to frame, it’s not uncommon for these to pull away.

It’s most likely more than just cracked seam sealer.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Seam sealer cracks because the metal under it opens up. Those are totally cracks, and that is a very common area to crack after you install stiffer suspension.

The price will vary based on how well done you would like the repair to be. $20 would get it welded, or $2000+ could go to stripping back all the material, welding it, resealing and repainting the area.
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Yeah, it's definitely a metal crack. I shined a light in there and you could see that the metal was separated.

Comment

Working...
            X