My Polish Evo 2 M3 Hood/Bumper/Trunk Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Polish Evo 2 M3 Hood/Bumper/Trunk Gaskets

Well I'm only 25% polish- but I do enjoy my Harbor Freight tools and making things work for cheap.

I was doing some research a few weeks ago about the e30 M3 Evo 2 gaskets that were used on the hood/fender and bumper/valence gap. From what I saw it really cleaned it up a bit and made the lines more "modern" and cleaned up- I guess you can say.

So instead of paying $250 for a set that I was finding, I decided to hit up Lowes and grabbed a few types of door/window weather stripping. Did a few tests and found out that the Frost King EPDM 1/4in Black matched the best for under $7/pack.

As far as longevity, the adhesive is surprisingly strong. "Premium Rubber Foam, will not harden, crack or freeze" "Retains shape in sub-zero temperatures"

I can't find it on Amazon, but its probably sitting at your local Lowes: Frost King 2-Pack 0.312-in x 17-ft Black Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer Door Weatherstrips

Per pack- it has 2 1/4 strips together in 8.5 foot sections. You could easily separate them with a sharp blade, but I ended up keeping them together for better adhesive purposes. If you do separate them you would end up with 17ft total.

Here is what I used (keeping the two sections together)
    - (1) For both sides of the hood/fender gaps
    - (1) For the bumper/valence gap
    - (1 with extra left over) For the trunk gaps

So for about $24 I can't say this was a bad deal. Overall, it came out much better than I could have expected. Keep in mind- I might have slightly odd gaps compared to you- my front end valance was replaced and re-welded on from a donor, so things are a little difficult to dial up straight.

I'll be sure to update this as time goes on with how long it holds up. Hope this is good info for some people!

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

This has been done before, by DC Colegrove...(I think)
    He sold it in a kit for the hood for a while. The issue with the adhesive, is it comes off the gasket, but stays on the car. It's a BITCH to get off the car.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Pretty cool little write up. I think I'll have to try it out. The hood seals make such a BIG difference in my opinion.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
        This has been done before, by DC Colegrove...(I think)
        He sold it in a kit for the hood for a while. The issue with the adhesive, is it comes off the gasket, but stays on the car. It's a BITCH to get off the car.
        He did, and here they are on my black car. I never had any problems with the ones for the hood. But the ones on the trunk did as you described.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Anyone who used this weather seal, hows it holding up?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
          X