How to fab a mono wiper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fab a mono wiper?

Since it's going to be a warm sunny day tomorrow, i figure a project is in order, i have a sawzall and a welder, so fabricating should be covered. I was reading that it's as simple as shorting an arm on the driver's side, but not really seeing how that's possible. I'd like (though i doubt possible), the arm to in the middle of the passenger side, but sweep to the full windshield.

What began as a hand-cranked system is now automatic, and only getting more so: Some windshield wipers can actually sense rain. Learn the mechanincs behind this essential automotive tool.

Please no flaming, i like the style and want something to occupy my time tomorrow.
    Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-15-2006, 12:27 AM.

I want one. But I'm lazy, and will probably just buy one from AKG or whoever.
    (although, I hear installing one is hell.) :/
    Slicktop City!

Comment

Shorten the lever, where P#5(drive rod) attaches.

Some 12 mm will be required.

Then then straighten the kink on right wiper arm, adjust the mechanism to desired parking point, and there you are.
      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
      BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
      BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Should be easy, i already straightened the wiper, it was cake with a vice and torch.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

For clarity(sorry, I can't write english) you must shorten the lever that is in the bottom of the driver side wiper arm, not the on on the wiper motor.

The parking position is adujusted by turning the lever at motor.

And While testing the park postion, don't put on the wiper arm. The motor is incredibly strong and it will make serious damage if parts are mounted wrong way :)
          Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
          BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I'll check it out more when i get out there and looking, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Okay, i seem to have found part 5, not quite sure how it makes a difference in the sweep, whatever, should be fun getting this out!

Comment

Aaand f that, i gave up...after bending my stock wiper, i threw a 26" wiper on there and will live with it at a 120 degree sweep.

Comment

I had one of the ACS units side by side with a stock linkage, and the sides of the linkage was also modifed. I have been thinking about doing this still, but I don't want to remove the linkage.

Comment

I don't think it is as simple as shortening the #5 rod -- as then it wouldn't "retract" all the way.

Comment

No, do not modify part #5.

Modify the part where the #5 goes to...

I feel really stupid cause i can't express myself the way that you'd understand.

In the bottom on the wiper arm there is a lever, which connecto to rod(#5) with balljoint. shorten the lever 12mm so the balljoint moves closer to wiper arm bearing.

And yes, you must remove complete assembly from the car, unless you are a gynegologist
                      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Ok, that would be about right. That is what I remember is that one side a little bit shorter.

Comment

I just pulled the linkage out of a parts car I had, and I see what you are saying. I am going to cut and shorten this weekend and see whats up.

Comment

It does look like the left side in that picture is shorter than the one I just pulled out of a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                              .... unless you are a gynegologist

:rofl: That is funny shit . :rofl:

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                              X