Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding more rust around seat rails and seat mounting bolts - time to give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding more rust around seat rails and seat mounting bolts - time to give up?

I'm unfortunately finding more and more rust areas in my "new" 85 325e. The latest one is the seat rails and where the seats are mounted into the floor. Any suggestions on how to treat this? Do I need to replace the rails? And what about the mounting points - I'm not sure what they look like under the carpet, but is it likely this is surface rust and I just need a wire brush and primer to take care of it? Shown is the driver side - the passenger side rails look good but the mount points have similar rust.

I'm new to rust repair, so any ideas are welcome. The car drives great and the structural parts of the car are clean, but I have some patching to do on the rear quarter sills, front fender bottoms, two rocker panel small holes, small passenger footwell hole, bottom of the driver door, small area on one rear license plate light. It sounds like I'll need to learn to weld to actually afford to fix the car. But discovering this latest rust area has me wondering if I'm better off selling the car and finding one with less rust.

Thanks!
    Vince

Take them out, get an angle grinder and a brass wire wheel, clean them up, paint them. They're inside the car so they shouldn't need any special treatment to keep them from rusting.

We can't see the mounting points, they're under the carpet.

You may want to get a cleaner example, but not because of rust on the seat sliders.

Comment

My guess you carpet is getting wet. I wouldn't let those rail stop you. But maybe check your battery box, gas tank mount tabs, Trans tunnel / heat shield studs, gas pedal mounting, front "Jack points" firewall by frame rails if you looking for reasons to give up.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
      X