Steering Wheel Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel Removal

Hi guys, I've searched, and searched, and searched and searched...But let me give you a heads up to my dilemma. I switched out my airbag steering wheel with a non airbag wheel. Long story short, I reattached the non airbag wheel incorrectly. I put the spacers in wrong and now the new wheel is too close, I can hardly turn the wheel and I can't pull it off, even with the ignition on. Does anybody have any idea how to get this thing off? It's an Mtech 1 wheel. Like I said, I've searched my ass off but I can't find anything on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    fried chicken

Anybody?
    fried chicken

Comment

wiggle & pull...
      sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
      1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
      1991 318is - Sold
      1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

AWD > RWD

Comment

Push while unlocking. If the pin has tension on it, it won't retract.

Worst case, see above.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I've pretty much tried everything, but I'll give the push while unlocking a go in the morning. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again!
            fried chicken

Comment

Yea so the its still not coming off. I'm starting to think it might be something with the steering column, not sure what though. I can turn the wheel with the ignition on, so I don't think its the steering locking mechanism. For some reason the damn thing won't pop off. I'm definitely out of ideas. Any other suggestions?
              fried chicken

Comment

ill4noreason did this with a mtech1 wheel when i took his momo away, lucky for him he's about 3x the average e30 size, and after a fight with the wheel he decided to just break it and put another one he had on.

Comment

Meh.....FML lol

It's drivable, I just can't take it off. I'll keep messing with it. Beer and boobie magazines to anyone who know how to take it off!

( . )( . )
                  fried chicken

Comment

how did you put the spacers in wrong? you used 2 spacers? not sure why you can't take the wheel off besides the steering wheel lock pin. do you have your key "ON" position so it disengages?

Comment

I can turn the wheel when the ignition is on, so the lock should be disengaged. I did use 2 spacers, I had them both stacked with the washer and bolt on top of the wheel.
                      fried chicken

Comment

only thing i can think of is the spacers may have got seized somehow. just yank the wheel off. can you remove the nut, washer, and both spacers?

Comment

The key has to be in!

Comment

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post
                            only thing i can think of is the spacers may have got seized somehow. just yank the wheel off. can you remove the nut, washer, and both spacers?
                            The nut, washer and both spacers are removed, so it's probably the wheel that has somehow seized? I'm still yanking away...No pun intended lol.

Originally posted by D-rock View Post
                            The key has to be in!
                            The key is in and turned to the "on" position.
                            fried chicken

Comment

Really? I have no idea what it could be then? Its a 20 second job :/

Comment

Working...
                              X