Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried modifying sport seats for more headroom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried modifying sport seats for more headroom?

Any threads on r3v about people getting their sport seats lower?

Originally posted by JonnyOg View Post
    Any threads on r3v about people getting their sport seats lower?
    I have to ask, why? Farbin is a beast and he still manages to fit in an e30...

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

because if you're more than 6' tall you can't fit a helmet on your head unless you have some serious gangsta' lean. I really have no idea how the taller half of r3v can autoX their car, my head rests on the sunroof cassette with the seat on the lowest setting in a normal driving position.

I did take off the square pads on the bottom of the sliders, made thinner ones, and slotted the carpet to clear the lower rails. I maybe gained 1/4" at best.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Vert seats are a tad lower if I remember correctly
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

I'm 6'3 and I manage to wear a helmet fine at autocross with my seat pretty much bolt upright, are you like 7ft tall?

Really though check your mechanisms, maybe the height adjustment is binding up?
          Last edited by Varinn; 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM.
          1990 332i, 4 door
          2008 KTM 990 Superduke
          2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
          2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
          2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

I didn't know sport seats had THREE adjustments for the longest time.

..They can be lowered by pressing down on the recliner mechanism.
            sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
            1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
            1991 318is - Sold
            1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Yes I did once. I put 1000lbs of bricks in the seat and then drove it over speed bumps at high speed. I know have plenty of room for helemets and head room and the such..........
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                Yes I did once. I put 1000lbs of bricks in the seat and then drove it over speed bumps at high speed. I know have plenty of room for helemets and head room and the such..........

I wouldn't mind the seat being a bit lower - just for comfort. I'm about 6"2" - and sometimes I wish I was lower in the car.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I'm 6' exactly. With the seat (m3 seats in my 325) all the way down my helmet is a gnat's ass from touching the roof. My helmet hits the roof when I hit bumps on the track. I either have to lean back or sideways to avoid this.

And yes, a gnat's ass is an official unit of measure.

As for seat mods... I've had these pain in the ass sports seats all apart. I don't see an efficient way of modding the seat itself. What might be possible is fabricating lower mounting points on the chassis. That would require some cutting and welding.
                  90 325i DD/Track
                  03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                  It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    because if you're more than 6' tall you can't fit a helmet on your head unless you have some serious gangsta' lean. I really have no idea how the taller half of r3v can autoX their car, my head rests on the sunroof cassette with the seat on the lowest setting in a normal driving position.

I did take off the square pads on the bottom of the sliders, made thinner ones, and slotted the carpet to clear the lower rails. I maybe gained 1/4" at best.
                    depends on how you're built.. I'm 6'-2" and I can fit a helmet no problem.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hell, I have this problem and I am 5'11.
                      The issue is body shape for me. I am all body, with 30" legs, so I need to sit more upright to reach the wheel properly and pedals properly. This makes my helmet hit........sucks to slouch.
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

comfort seats at the lower setting sits pretty much on the floor, but your ass won't be planted on the track, that's for sure.
                        www.instagram.com/snwmble
                        #snwmble

Current:
                        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
                          I have to ask, why? Farbin is a beast and he still manages to fit in an e30...

6' 6", with my ass all the way back in the seat my head touches the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                            I'm 6'3 and I manage to wear a helmet fine at autocross with my seat pretty much bolt upright, are you like 7ft tall?

Really though check your mechanisms, maybe the height adjustment is binding up?

Nope they are fine and the seats are maxed out at the bottom. I just have a taller upper half. Have to slouch the keep my head off the headliner even without a helmet.

Comment

The PO of my car (vert) appears to have removed some depth from the driver side botoom foam and I can fit nicely now. Less padding, but it works just fine and looks like factory with leather bottoms.
                              The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Working...
                              X