Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattlecan fabric paint on my e30's carpet, will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattlecan fabric paint on my e30's carpet, will it work?

I used duplicolor fabric paint on my 2002 carpet and although it looked great, it wore like shit due to the polyester nature of the carpet (rubs off at normal friction pints like door sills and tranny tunnel sides)

Trying to go from natur to black, anyone have any success with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    both these cars are gone :(

I did it... Just get matts and it'll last. It's not a big deal to touch it up after a while anyways.

Feedback!
    Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
    Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

I've heard good things about VHT (?) vinyl and fabric dye....
      Current:
      1989 325i
      1988 M3
      1987 325ic
      Past:
      2001 330ci
      2001 M3

Comment

I would use RIT dye in a spray bottle
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

colorbond by bryndana...shit is the tits

Restore, customize or repair your car at half the cost of a pro with ColorBond Paint. ColorBond products won't crack, chip, or peel and are OEM certified.
          1991 318is ---230K - DD
          1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
          so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

^ highly recommended. Did mine, almost 3 years ago with the same color with no fading to this date. I did have to touch up a few places as the did not place enough paint. Key is light coats and rub it in with a sock once it is almost try to spread it into fibers. my project thread has some pics.
            Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Wow...that colorbond is $15 a fucking can...I used 4 cans of VHT on mine, it is holding up well BTW. However, storage generally is not too tough on carpets.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Plus, its a car carpet....you rarely will ever touch it except to vacuum it....not like you'll be laying down on it. I used the VHT die and it came out great
                1997 Artic Silver M3
                CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

I used VHT on my sun faded rear shelf and it came out pretty good. Its only been 6 months but I cant see any fading yet.

I also used it to dye some tan door panels black, it worked well and is a pretty good match to the factory black door panels.

Comment

I did my tan carpet to black a few years ago, came out really good. I did one coat, then brushed it out with a stiff brush in all directions to expose any areas that didn't get coated, and then did it again, then brushed it out one more time.

Comment

I've used sem color coat to do it, spray, brush, spray, brush. It'll last about a decade from what I've been told.
                      - Josh
                      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                      Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

I started to dye my tan convertible carpet with Duplicolor. I was semi pleased as I wasn't able to get the color down to the bottom of the nap well. I'm going to try to go back over it with either RIT or Dylon dye to see which does the best. Either that or I have found a carpet kit that is cut from the OEM pattern, but it is $499 :-/

Comment

Originally posted by TheTenor View Post
                          I started to dye my tan convertible carpet with Duplicolor. I was semi pleased as I wasn't able to get the color down to the bottom of the nap well. I'm going to try to go back over it with either RIT or Dylon dye to see which does the best. Either that or I have found a carpet kit that is cut from the OEM pattern, but it is $499 :-/
                          I can get molded coupe carpet for less than that... Shoot me a PM if interested.
                          - Josh
                          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                          Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Working...
                          X