No announcement yet.

Lseat.com Leather Seat Covers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately I have taken both seats apart, but know what bar you’re talking about and know how everything went together. I tried to get the hog rings on there but absolutely could not, which I believe is because my hog ring pliers are really bad, do NOT get harbor freight ones for this job. I may just staple these flaps down, we’ll see.

I was following a video posted earlier in the thread and he uses fabric adhesive to fold the edges in around the center foam pieces, but the stapler will probably work better for all my problems, I’ll look into one of those.

In the video the guy also uses hog rings and not string to secure the leather to the divots. The string idea is much better, and that’s what was used from factory it appears. I’ll give that a go today, thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by DJNikonn View Post
      How did you do the door panels?
      I had an extra pair of door panels and just ordered more material from Lseat. I took the front panels to a shop, they actually did a good job matching the OEM faux stitching that goes across the door panels. I went ahead and did the rear panels, I was even able to perfectly match the OEM speaker holes.

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
      I am actually not done with the upper bolster lower outside corners, what did everyone do to anchor these down? My hog ring pliers don't seem to fit in the frame at the right angle. I can tuck the flaps and it looks pretty good so I am thinking I'll just use some spry fabric adhesive to keep these down, but curious how these corners were for everyone else.
      If I recall correctly, there should be small hooks on those corners or I believe you're suppose to pull them through and hog ring them to the seat frame. I'll try and check this weekend.
      Last edited by Mike36; 04-04-2019, 02:28 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Lseat.com Leather Seat Covers???

Well I ran to Harbor Freight to get a crown stapler to get there and realize it’s pneumatic, and I don’t heave air. Bought a regular t50 stapler, doesn’t work because the staples just pull right out of the foam. Figured I go to Home Depot to get a better set of hog ring pliers and tried those, doesn’t work for the centers but might for the flaps. May just have to take the centers to an upholstery shop to do them properly.

Comment

Yeah you have to use a stapler with air. You have to know someone with an air compressor or just buy a pancake one from harbor freight
          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
            The best YouTube video I found was this one which is E30 sport seat specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUuhdw4ZEcY
            you guys seen this video? might be of help

Comment

Yeah that video was what got me through my install. I actually did what he did and used hog rings instead of staples for the seat bottoms. Had I known about a crown stapler, I would’ve gone that route since that’s how OEM is done. Either way, the hog rings into the seats foam worked fine for me.
              sigpic

Comment

That’s the video I’ve been referring to in my recent posts, and why I was going to get some fabric adhesive. For those of you who used adhesive, did it help keep the edges down while you staples/hog ringed? Perhaps I’m just being too gentle with the foam/hog rings? To me it seems as if there are upholstery specific hog ring pliers because both of the ones I have engage the ring 1/2” or more into the pliers and I just cannot manage to get them deep enough so the ring can go through both the foam and leather.

Comment

Nope, didn’t want to wait for shipping at the time so I got some from Harbor Freight automotive section and then some from Home Depot. I assume the ones I got are more general purpose, and will return both today and order some of the ones you posted. Looking at the design I’m guessing the ring will be in a much more accessible position to anchor stuff down.

Comment

Nope, didn’t want to wait for shipping at the time so I got some from Harbor Freight automotive section and then some from Home Depot. I assume the ones I got are more general purpose, and will return both today and order some of the ones you posted. Looking at the design I’m guessing the ring will be in a much more accessible position to anchor stuff down.
                    Oh yeah, world of a difference with actual hog ring pliers. Should make your job much easier.
                    sigpic

Comment

Been neglecting posting photos because i still need a couple things to finish the interior, but the front seats are done with the exception of the seat shocks. I am having trouble with the passenger side tilt locking. It won't lock in any position other than furthest forward. I am happy how they turned out though, sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

Comment

Thats hot! Be ready for all the compliments you'll be getting about your interior, it never gets old. Haha. For some reason, lots of e30 owners seem to neglect their interior. Congrats.

Make sure the passenger tilt handle is pressed all the way down so that the seat locks in place.
                        sigpic

Comment

I am having trouble with the passenger side tilt locking. It won't lock in any position other than furthest forward.
                          They look great - I see you went for the piping on the bolster ridges.
                          (instead of the french seam)

With the tilt mechanism, I had a similar issue with mine.
                          While I was replacing the seat shocks and cable, I sprayed some brake cleaner down the ratcheting mechanism to clear out the old grease, fluff, and debris that was causing the spring to bind.
                          Make sure you protect the leather with some plastic or cloth from the run-off.

In the end I didn't go down the path of recovering.
                          With some hours cleaning, conditioning and fixing the broken parts the seats are back to new. Painted seat rails and a new seat belt buckle make it worth it.
                          Even the cat approves.

E30 320i vert
                          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Thanks Mike! Yeah this is the first e30 I will own that will have a solid interior and I’m very excited for it. I think I am going to remove the headrests and cover then with a layer of foam because they are a big baggy to the touch.

I actually opted for no piping when ordering but they went ahead and did it anyways. I would have much preferred them with out it. If I didn’t have rips I would have just cleaned mine up, yours turned out very good.

Comment

Thanks Mike! Yeah this is the first e30 I will own that will have a solid interior and I’m very excited for it. I think I am going to remove the headrests and cover then with a layer of foam because they are a big baggy to the touch.

I actually opted for no piping when ordering but they went ahead and did it anyways. I would have much preferred them with out it. If I didn’t have rips I would have just cleaned mine up, yours turned out very good.
                              Did you steam any of the seat foam/headrest? It was night and day after i steamed all my foam, everything was nice and snug except for my rear seat back that needed extra padding.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X