Adding an extra brake light on an early model, need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**I copied this from my build thread just in case others have considered doing this and someone actually uses the search function when they get stumped like I am...**

A while ago I noticed some extra wiring near the taillights and was ready to hack it off, but thought I should try and figure out what it is first. Later on, when my brain was thinking, I realized it was the wiring to the sidemarker lights that our cars come with in North America. Since my car has those lights shaved in the back the wiring was just chilling in the trunk. In Europe, they have these things called fog lights, IN THE BACK!??!? and since we dont get cool stuff in North America, the taillight bulb trays has a vacant spot. HMMMM....

My idea was to use the wiring from these side markers and run them to the vacant spot on the bulb trays, and the pictures show you my progress. Most of this was fairly easy, except for the metal, spring-like piece that you push the bulb against, but luckily I had an extra bulb tray from an old mk1 jetta that I stole these from.

TLDR I wanted to add a second running, brake light

nekkid

the important piece

wiring done.

"final product"

quotes are because it didnt really work.

It kept popping the 7.5A fuse, thought it was a bad ground then sort of realized what was going on and thought I would try a 10A, 15A and even a 20A fuse and it popped all of them. So, I disconnected the extra light and made sure it was all functioning normally so I can attack this again when more knowledge.

I think the problem is that the sidemarker bulb is a little tiny one and Im trying to power a secondary bigger light.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

The fog lights are quite a bit brighter than the standard parking lights just so you know. The normal brake lights have an extra plastic lens to dim them.
    This will make it look like you are braking all the time, and hard to tell when you actually are since the lights will be just as bright while not braking.

I have my rear fogs wired to the fog light button. I've had a guy tell me that my brake lights are stuck on. I realized after that the fogs were on. I've since removed the bulbs.

The euro fog light is just like driving with your brake lights fully lit.
    Imo it would look stupid with 2 different brightness bulbs if you get what I'm saying. It's also pretty unsafe

What you should do is splice the fog bulb into the light that comes on with your brakes. Giving you 2x brightness when stepping on the brakes.
    Last edited by pandaboo911; 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
      What you should do is splice the fog bulb into the light that comes on with your brakes. Giving you 2x brightness when stepping on the brakes.
      I like this idea. Can I just use the wiring I already have and splice it directly or do I have to get fancy?

by now you're seeing that I really am stupid when it comes to wiring
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

Just T into the brake light wire. With 4 bulbs vs 2 you might blow the brake light fuse so just swap in a higher amperage fuse.

Comment

DO NOT SWAP IN HIGHER AMPERAGE FUSES!

Fuses are there to protect the WIRING, not the bulbs. With the wrong fuse, if something ever shorts, the wiring will heat up and melt before you blow a fuse and could start a fire.

You say you wanted to add an extra brake light, but the side markers don't come on with the brakes, they come on with the tail lights (headlights). I would do what panda said and splice into the brake light wire. You shouldn't need a bigger fuse as the bulb don't pull much amperage. Stick with the stock rating.

Comment

edit: just to be clear on why I wanted to add a brake light, it wasnt a preference of a running or a braking light, just more light so the girl texting in her SUV doesnt ram me. I was trying to keep it simple by using whats there, but I like pandas idea so Im rolling with it...

I will be at the garage later and will mess with it. I will report back!... and I wont change the fuses
            Last edited by 2mAn; 01-31-2015, 12:08 PM.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

T'd the extra light in and it still popped the 7.5A fuse. took it apart and moved on with my life ...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Get LED bulbs... maybe they wouldn't pop the fuses because of the reduced electricity pull. also much brighter for girls texting in suv's with no license or insurance

--Mike
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

the stock 3 bulbs are pulling about 6amp . So if you add 2 LEDs to the new position you should have a total of 5 stop lights and under 7.5 amps. You have about 1 amp of wiggle room per bulb...LEDs all the way

Comment

or a cheaper way....use a 5007.

Not sure how bright it will be though

Comment

Upgrade the fuse to 10 amps and run LEDs :D

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                        run LEDs :D
                        Fixed

--Mike
                        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

What LEDs did you end up going with and how is the brightness compared to the regular stop lamps? Pics???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hit up Mo Brighta here on R3V.

He does this and sells the finished product for ~$80

Comment

So, you want brighter tail/brake lights ???

Originally posted by Self Made View Post
                              Hit up Mo Brighta here on R3V.
                              He does this and sells the finished product for ~$80
                              Thanks, Self Made. I'll be glad to help if I can.

2mAn, you are on the right track, and have good motivation, just sounds like you stumbled a bit in the execution. Not blaming, you got it mostly right, I have seen it tried with less success, and FAR worse results.

Those bright bulbs are reserved for brake, turn, reverse, and in other markets, rear fogs. Think of them as tail lights on steroids; when it's foggy, it is just as important for you to be seen by folks behind you, as it it for you to see stuff in front of you. Common sense, don't know why it was illegal in the US for so long.

Here is my basic scheme to improve rear lights - tails and brakes.

First, I take advantage of the 'empty socket' to add a bulb, then I wire it to light dimly with tail lights and brightly with brake lights. Same as at the factory: copper wire of the correct color, crimped and soldered to the contacts. Pretty much like it was factory installed.

Second, I install socket contacts salvaged from broken E30 early tail lights, no need to adapt from another car-it's the stock part.

Third, added bulb is low wattage with the tails, and high wattage with the brakes. Appearance is totally as expected, and stock fuses are adequate and do not need to be 'over-amped.' They're vital to protect the car as intended, and as designed by those clever German engineers.

Fourth, the bulb has a nickel base metal as required by BMW, so no funky check panel warnings or corrosion or failures, just good steady light.

Current price for the upgrades, including two HO bulbs, is $89 for the pair, exchange. If you ask nicely, I'll knock $10 off, because I'd rather make a bit less and help you make your car a BUNCH more visible, safely!

Besides, I am running a sale on the big coupe forum, don't want to show favorites .... Hell, those guys have buckets of money, they can afford a six series! :)

Did someone say 'Pics?' http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=190578

Andy
                              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
                              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
                              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
                              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Working...
                              X