Adding an extra brake light on an early model, need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
    If I might ask, which LED Light bulbs are you employing?

Using some cheap "KATUR" LED bulbs from Amazon at the moment.
    Specs from the description: 0.30A, 3.6W, 900Lums.

They are working well so far, and are brighter then the original brake lights.

Still using traditional incandescent bulbs for the second set (in rear fog spot), so if the LEDs die I still have functional brake lights.
    If I find these LEDs prone to failure I'll explore higher quality LED bulbs.

Comment

LED second brake lights

I have heard folks say that "this thread is worthless without pictures" ... but you do have pictures - earlier on.

How about a picture of the appearance from behind (say 25 feet back) with the brake lights ON - I am very curious to see the effect of the LED brake light side by side with the incandescent or standard brake.

Reason is, some LEDs point the light sideways at the reflector, some of them shoot it straight up, through the lens without utilizing the parabolic reflector dish, so the 'bright spot' is smaller, and the beam is narrower.

Thanks!

Now if you think an extra brake is good (which it is), then think what an extra brake AND an extra tail light will do for visibility and safety. Ask me how I know... and have a look.

First picture- early style rear lights with an extra 'tail light' outboard; original tail is inboard.

Second picture- same car, extra 'brake light' inboard, original brake light is outboard.

Last picture- same car, tails and brakes both on, and ain't that bright?

And yes, I am still doing these upgrades.

Andy
      Last edited by Mo Brighta; 07-25-2019, 12:45 PM. Reason: clarity
      Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
      Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
      Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

I'm interested... Do you get an error code with the LED's? I would consider using regular incandescents, or maybe a combo incandescent in the original brake light, LED in the additional brake light, but I don't want to overload my wiring

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I have heard folks say that "this thread is worthless without pictures" ... but you do have pictures - earlier on.

How about a picture of the appearance from behind (say 25 feet back) with the brake lights ON - I am very curious to see the effect of the LED brake light side by side with the incandescent or standard brake.

Reason is, some LEDs point the light sideways at the reflector, some of them shoot it straight up, through the lens without utilizing the parabolic reflector dish, so the 'bright spot' is smaller, and the beam is narrower.

Thanks!

Now if you think an extra brake is good (which it is), then think what an extra brake AND an extra tail light will do for visibility and safety. Ask me how I know... and have a look.

First picture- early style rear lights with an extra 'tail light' outboard; original tail is inboard.

And yes, I am still doing these upgrades.

Andy

My only qualm with this is the tail lights aren't uniform. I know that's stupid. I did the dual brake light thing a few years ago w/ LEDs and love it. Definitely much more light.
          84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
          Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
            I'm interested... Do you get an error code with the LED's? I would consider using regular incandescents, or maybe a combo incandescent in the original brake light, LED in the additional brake light, but I don't want to overload my wiring
            MJ- I have not tried it with full LED bulbs, so no comment. I expect the lower amps will throw a false negative (warning light) unless you keep one tungsten lamp in place on each side.

You have a good instinct, I normally suggest a relay tapping a separate fuse / circuit for the secondary brake lights. In my E24/E23/E28 kits, this is simple due to the power antenna connector being right there with 12V from another 8 Amp fuse. It drives the antenna occasionally, plus a few other things, but since new lamps only draw around 5 amps, it works well for this.

Trouble with the E30 is the different style connector to the antenna. If you run a second fused lead to the trunk along the stock harness, you got it solved... or use LED lamps for the added lights.

==============================
            Originally posted by iansane View Post
            My only qualm with this is the tail lights aren't uniform. I know that's stupid. I did the dual brake light thing a few years ago w/ LEDs and love it. Definitely much more light.
            Yes, the housing and optics are quite different - the Brake light uses a parabolic dish and standard bubble diffuser in the lens; the Tail light also has a retro-reflector and a Fresnel lens, but no reflector.

I'd like to see your current brake lights in use- original and LED, side by side- to see how they compare for appearance and brightness. Pictures?

Since I do 99% of my driving without my foot on the brakes, I consider the tails to be critical - just as important as the brakes. That is why 99% of my kits go out with a dual tail lights upgrade. My E28 has triple tail lights, and relays for tail and brake light 'excess lighting'.

====================================

Bottom line- replace tail light and headlight bulbs every 5-6 years, as they do dim over time- very gradually, so you wouldn't notice it...like oil and rubber tires, everything has a best by date.
            Last edited by Mo Brighta; 07-31-2019, 07:07 PM.
            Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

^What he said. Seeing these on lots of cars these days, or maybe I just NOTICE them ... some bikes, too. Anything to draw attention to a cycle, they have (I had) a tough enough time out there as it is. I'll have a look at the amazon one, maybe something I would offer in conjunction with the rear light upgrades?

(DER E30's link repaired)
              UPDATE- I looked at the Amazon offer - Krator 'Dyna-Flash' PW-13001 is the model number. Made in China, naturally. Selling around $11 each + shipping, handles one lamp only.
              WARNING - it is rated for 0.8 to 1.2 Amps which is 14.4 Watts. BMW calls for the P25-1, 21 Watts. My HO lamps draw 27 Watts.
              My guess, with a 30 day warrantee, you'll not be getting your money back when it fails. Good idea, bad execution. Let's keep looking for something with a better set of components.

First find, 'S1' Brake Flasher Module, rated at 5 Amps on device, 8 Amps in manual. Recommended for third / center brake only, cost $20. delivered. MADE IN USA

Second find, Stop-Alert 'Fast-Flash' 60 Watts / 5 Amps, same operation as above, $20 + shipping. Not stated, but I think made in China.

There are more out there, I am certain. Be sure to check the capacity - look for at least 30 Watts, 2.5 amps. for a margin of safety.

Legality - I believe it is legal ONLY for the center brake, not all brakes.

Good luck out there, and don't forget the advantages of MORE lights, BRIGHTER lights, available in my Plus Four upgrade, around $80.
              (I have a lot of those terminals, be glad to use them for your lights)

Andy

Comment

Converting another set of early style lights from a 1990 325ic 'vert (c for Convertible or Cabriolet), including upgrades to dual tail light, dual brake light, and high output bulbs everywhere. YES, it makes a huge difference, and NO, the two tail lights are not exactly the same. If you look at the pictures (taken from about 6 feet away) you will see a difference. If you are in a car or truck 60 or more feet away, you might not notice this, but WILL notice the car's larger and brighter lights, especially the brake lights. Isn't this the desired result?

Also have found some high output bulbs for the center brake light on the trunk lid, 21 candlepower versus the wimpy stock lamp. I advised Steve to remove and clean the center brake light inside and out, for maximum output... perhaps he's report his impression of the outcome?

Stay sharp out there!

Comment

Working...
                X