Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofitting foglights into late model...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofitting foglights into late model...

Did some searching on R3V, found nothing other than that its possible.

I understand the wiring is there for the switch behind the dash, but where is the wiring under the hood to wire it up? Anyone have a writeup? I have the switch, correct relay, and everything, just need help wiring it up.

Any schematics, writeups and such are greatly appreciated. If there are none at all, I will do one soon.

EDIT: And I just bought my French foglights.
    Last edited by M42Technik; 03-27-2007, 02:49 PM.
    Reminiscing...

This will never be seen, thanks subforums!
    Reminiscing...

Comment

pretty sure all the wiring is already there. you just need switches, the relay/fuses, lights, etc.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My fog light wires was on the pass. side laying by the a/c dryer (i think that's what is called) when i first bought my car. But i have a early car. Sorry i can't remember what color they was. I know one was brown=ground of coarse.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          pretty sure all the wiring is already there. you just need switches, the relay/fuses, lights, etc.
          actually on my car the wires were already hanging, and the fuse was there!
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Yeah I got that its still in the car, but was wondering where to find the plugs under the hood, the plug under the dash shouldn't be too hard to find. What is the going price on new foglights nowadays? I got mine for $235 with all the clips and such I need.

I will definitely do a writeup for this when the time comes.

EDIT: After searching other forums, I found that it can be tucked behind the valence, behind the headlights, or even inside the front bumper. Happy hunting for me!
            Last edited by M42Technik; 03-28-2007, 06:13 AM.
            Reminiscing...

Comment

i'll pm you the details

Comment

Originally posted by jajou318 View Post
                i'll pm you the details
                You da man.
                Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                  You da man.
                  alright man goodluck with the install. the hardest part for me was finding the damn harness for the switch but yea shouldn't be too hard now that i told you what to look for in my novel of a pm.

Comment

I'm posting it here because I know I had to look long and hard and still didn't have all that info.

So here goes:

Part Number--------Qty----Description

01 29 9 770 749-----1-----Installation Instructions
                    63 17 1 386 461-----8-----Expanding Nut
                    07 11 9 901 294-----8-----Hex Head Screw
                    61 13 1 370 987-----2-----7.5 Amp Fuse
                    61 31 1 380 013-----1-----Relay
                    61 31 1 380 352-----1-----Switch Fog Tail Light
                    62 11 1 368 299-----1-----2W Bulb For Cluster Light
                    63 17 1 385 945-----1-----Fog Lamp Left
                    63 17 1 385 946-----1-----Fog Lamp Right

Alternate French (Yellow) Fog Lamps: This is the whole foglight, not glass

63 17 1 386 049-----1-----French Fog Lamp Left
                    63 17 1 386 050-----1-----French Fog Lamp Right

Installation:

*Pop open your hood, the connectors to your fogs should be right below your headlights, may be ziptied down to the frame.

*Take those and run them down to the foglight area through one of the holes there.

*Locate the harness for the fog light switch. This is the hardest part.

- Take off your driver side knee bolster and kick panel. The wiring harness was on the right side of the speaker, it might be covered in electrical tape.
                    - Install the light plug in the switch put in the relay and fuses.

*Install 2W Bulb into guage cluster to illuminate foglamp icon during use.

- There is another writeup to get to the cluster elsewhere, I will post it here.

MODS: If you could sticky this here or in the FAQ section, either the post or entire thread.
                    Last edited by M42Technik; 03-28-2007, 10:18 PM.
                    Reminiscing...

Comment

do you know where to find just a yellow lins/glass like a replacement?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        do you know where to find just a yellow lins/glass like a replacement?
                        LaminX has them, and maybe BavAuto, but LaminX for sure.
                        Reminiscing...

Comment

I got my old lamin-x yellow protective film and they looked pretty good.
                          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

I have the foglights as well but I haven't installed them yet. Couple of questions though:

What are the wire colours for the foglights and the switch, so I know what wires I am looking for?
                            Where on the fuse box do I install the relay and fuses? (or do I just read the fuse cover / Owners manual and it tells me there?)

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by passdanachos View Post
                              I have the foglights as well but I haven't installed them yet. Couple of questions though:

What are the wire colours for the foglights and the switch, so I know what wires I am looking for?
                              Where on the fuse box do I install the relay and fuses? (or do I just read the fuse cover / Owners manual and it tells me there?)

Thanks for the info!
                              Unsure of the colors, it apparently will be hanging with the base that plugs into the H3 bulb. The owners manual will tell you the fuse number.
                              Reminiscing...

Comment

Working...
                              X