LED vs HID who made the switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

I wouldnt put them in halogen housings, but they work just fine in the projectors.
    Any update on this? I want to do the exact same thing: H4>H1 adapter>R8 LED>NOS Hella Euro Smileys

Also: The shadowline site appears to still be up, any idea if he's still in business?

Comment

Which caps did you use on the back of the smilies for the H1 LED bulbs? I'd love to see more photos of the beam pattern. I'd also like to go with LEDs for the power savings, and a little brighter is always nicer, as long as it doesn't blind oncoming drivers. I also don't want to hack up my original headlights to put some Chinese Morimoto projectors in them.

I see some problems with the H1 LEDs though. There aren't as many bulb choices in that size and most of them are high color temperature. Another is that LED bulbs produce heat on the back side; that's where the heatsink is, and it should be left open to the atmosphere. If it's kept enclosed the heat will cause the LED to overheat and dim. So I think it's not a good idea to cover the back with a cap.

There are more bulb choices in H4 and HB3/4, and the design of those allows the heatsink to remain open to the atmosphere. So I think for LED bulbs it would be best to stay with US ellipsoids (HB3/4) or go with H4 sealed beam replacements, such as the 5.25" Koito housings that Daniel Stern sells on his website.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        Which caps did you use on the back of the smilies for the H1 LED bulbs? I'd love to see more photos of the beam pattern. I'd also like to go with LEDs for the power savings, and a little brighter is always nicer, as long as it doesn't blind oncoming drivers. I also don't want to hack up my original headlights to put some Chinese Morimoto projectors in them.

I see some problems with the H1 LEDs though. There aren't as many bulb choices in that size and most of them are high color temperature. Another is that LED bulbs produce heat on the back side; that's where the heatsink is, and it should be left open to the atmosphere. If it's kept enclosed the heat will cause the LED to overheat and dim. So I think it's not a good idea to cover the back with a cap.

There are more bulb choices in H4 and HB3/4, and the design of those allows the heatsink to remain open to the atmosphere. So I think for LED bulbs it would be best to stay with US ellipsoids (HB3/4) or go with H4 sealed beam replacements, such as the 5.25" Koito housings that Daniel Stern sells on his website.
        I will need to take night pics, I dont really drive the car much at night. I am running the caps that came with the bulbs.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
        X