Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Light Extreme Upgrade and Big Discount!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Light Extreme Upgrade and Big Discount!

OK, I started doing a lighting upgrades on my E28 five years ago, and it gets LOTS OF ATTENTION. Then I did similar upgrades for an E24 six, then an E23 seven, then an E12 fiver Euro (that one was fun- an Euro car), and so on to the E21 and E30 cars. I FINALLY decided to try my most ambitious upgrade in a pair of E30 lights.

I just finished two pair - both for Cabriolets - and decided while I had them on the bench, to go one step further, do the Full-Blown Upgrade, my Plus Six.
    I built a prototype, and it turned out so nice I decided to post the results here and see if there's anyone who might be curious about it.

I am happy to report I succeeded! My 'High Performance Rear Lights - E30 Early' has an additional bulb with both tail and brake light, doubling the size of these functions.
    Your lights are transformed from a single tail, single brake light to Double Tails, Double Brakes, all totally stock looking. I just put bulbs where BMW did not. Makes a huge improvement visibility and reliability, being much brighter... a good thing these days with all the LED tail lights out there.

The Extreme Upgrade takes this one step further, for Triple Tails, Double Brakes, and again looking totally stock. This is the Ultimate Incandescent Upgrade
    using the Krypton gas filled high output lamps, nickel base, and NOT super high wattage, just more light. No melting wires, lenses, switches, etc. ALL the red lens lights up with tails, and two thirds light brightly with brakes.

I will post pictures of the results here, so stay tuned - anybody who does NOT want to meet someone new over the trunk as you 'Exchange Information' following a crash involving your beloved.

Big Discount - I am closing in on my One Hundredth Pair of Upgrade Lights, and doing a 50% Discount for the person who orders and pays for this 100th set. I've made way more than 100 lighting upgrade kits, this is specifically about a SERIAL NUMBERED SET, reserved for the serious upgrades.

I will announce details in the near future, so think about how nice it would be if you were never tail-gated again, and when you lock up the binders, everyone behind you does too!
    This is what better rear lighting can do: help other folks play nice in the sandbox, and that's a good thing for you and for everyone!

Aus Freude am fahren!
    Last edited by Mo Brighta; 03-15-2021, 11:23 AM.
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

This interests me, I have always felt nervous with the stock e30 tail lights being minimal. I have thought about wiring up the euro rear fog feature but its a daunting task, your solution is probably a lot easier.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
      This interests me, I have always felt nervous with the stock e30 tail lights being minimal. I have thought about wiring up the euro rear fog feature but its a daunting task, your solution is probably a lot easier.
      Hey,

I am getting aback into things, after being out of town for a month. I am building another set of E30 lights for another guy.

Let me know if you are interested in pictures- I can point you to some of my posts.
      Also, email me for faster and more detailed replies wwhen you have questions.

Andy
      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

Thanks Andy for offering good solutions for the community. It might help to add your email and if you have a website, I didn't see that posted above.
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Picked up a set of these upgraded lights along with the HO bulbs from Andy recently and they're awesome. Big safety upgrade. Andy was kind enough to install and I had my son check them out when I pulled in the garage and he covered his eyes and turned away saying "its so bright". Thanks again Andy.

Comment

Glad to be of service, and help keep your car out of danger from some boneheaded "inattentive Driver."

Comment

very interested, do you have any pics to post of how it all is modified?

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words and reviews. This is my purpose during my retirement.

I hate to think anyone out there is risking getting rear ended because of dim or burned-out lights in back. It's happened to me (my 2002 was rear ended & totaled by insurance FIVE TIMES), and I hated it every time! A testament to good German steel - I had the damage repaired after buying the car back from the insurance company at 'scrap value', recovering my beloved from the scrap heap and continuing to drive it for years! Mileage at the time I sold it was over half a million.

Speaking of discounts- I offered a 50% discount on the 100th set, and I am working on numbers in the mid-90's at the moment: a 2002, E30, E12 fiver, and an E9 coupe!

Patience, grasshopper, very soon it will be your turn. If three more people buy an upgrade, there's a 1/3 chance you will be the 100th ... pretty good odds.

Watch your back out there - and stay out of the way of trucks, SUVs, and anyone busy updating their status ... and by GUM, upgrade your rear lights!!!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                  very interested, do you have any pics to post of how it all is modified?
                  Yes, I am currently in the process of moving these pictures from an old computer to my current, slightly less old, computer. I do not have too many pictures of the internals, most are the outside appearance. There's nothing about the inner workings that is too scientific. But suffice it to say I finished the job that our befuddled DOT left undone when they forbade the use of rear fog lights in US cars. That dark area on the range of models I upgrade is now bright red, and the brake light now serves TWO functions: dim with tail lights, BRIGHT with brake lights. All using BMW recommended nickel base bulbs that are brighter while still safe for circuits, lenses, and fuses, plus check panel operation is preserved. All using BMW (Startec) original parts and methods, right down to wire color!

To see the results from the outside (what other drivers see) look here;

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=190578 (pre-facelift / early tails & cabrio)

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191231 (late tails);
                  Last edited by Mo Brighta; 11-02-2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Whats the conversion cost? I was looking at your thread and I didnt see it.

Comment

Also interested in more info and photos.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

OK, more info, without getting too technical (or sharing too many secrets).

I have been busy with a redesign for a sturdier, more robust execution that should prove more reliable as well. The original design modified the socket a little with a 'slot' for the wire to feed power to the additional tail light in the brake light socket. The new design has a small hole, no slot, and respects the structure of the sockets to avoid stress. The end result and benefits are the same.

Installing the upgrade lights requires opening the last reflector. This is closed off in the stock US lens/reflector by the reverse light. You remove the plastic to allow the additional brake bulb to pass into the reflector section and do its job. (Early lights - it's a bar, late lights, a disk)

1) Cost- late (facelift) are currently running $99 the pair (plus shipping) to convert your lights, which includes one high output dual filament lamp per side (in the brake location). Additional high output (but safe, similar wattage) lamps are extra. Tails- $6 each; brake/reverse/turn- $8 each, front turn- $9 each. Replacement dual filament- $16 each.

2) Pictures - no E30 in my driveway, but I do have the lights. I am using a 'facelift' light since that is the one I just built with the new design.

3) Variations - there are two different styles of bulb carrier for the facelift lights. One - what I call 'plate style' is shown, the other 'rod style' is simpler, with exposed metal bars to conduct power and ground to the sockets. Either can be upgraded to produce the same result, and both benefit from the new design features - sturdier, more robust, less stress on the sockets.

4) Pre-facelift, the early and vert (cabriolet) models are also getting the same re-design, same benefits. They are steel, so they run $115 the pair.

5) Daily Driver? Add $100 core, send your lights back after I ship the upgrades to you, get a core refund. Lenses stay in the car, the upgrade is to the bulb carrier (back).

6) Want more or less light? Just ask, there are options for +1 brake, +1 tail, +2 tails, relays, even LED?

Want more info, email or PM me.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                        X