E30 OBC Glitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 OBC Glitches

Hey there folks, I just got done replacing the screen on my OBC, and now it's all screwed up. It works, I can select between range, time, etc, but it's impossible to read. The screen just displays a garbled mess of characters. Anyone had this issue, and if so, how did you fix it?

Pics for reference.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3219.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	10018246Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	10018247

It looks like you got an incorrectly assembled screen unit. The large digits belong on the left, and the smaller ones on the right. Or, if it is a super-DIY screen replacement, then I guess you rotated it 180 degrees and just need to rotate it into the correct orientation.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

yeah, I agree - you put it in upside down.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awesome, that fixed it, thanks! By any chance, has anyone ever had their "Changeover Contact" not work? After flipping the screen and hooking it back up, I have everything working, but I can't get the little button on the bottom right to allow me to change the time, date, or units. After jumping the buttons two prongs from the inside I could, but the button will not work no matter how many times I press it in.

Comment

Hmm never heard of that one. Maybe open it up again and spray some contact cleaner into the button? I'd definitely avoid getting any on the screen.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Well, I hit it with some contact cleaner a few times, let it completely dry, but I still get no input from pressing the button. Any other ideas possibly? I'd hate to have to toss a working unit because the button didn't want to work : (

Comment

I believe that button should function on its own. But for your knowledge and anyone reading this with OBC issues, its important to remember that the OBC in the dash is just some buttons and a display. The brains of the OBC are actually inside the instrument cluster, SI board. The SI board powers and controls and performs calculations for the OBC. If you are troubleshooting anything related to the OBC, a good refurbished SI board must be used or your issues may be related to a failing Si board, not the OBC itself.
              Owner - Bavarian Restoration
              BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
              www.BavRest.com
              My Feedback Thread
              Our Facebook!
              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
              X