No announcement yet.

what supposed to be holding my battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does the battery need to be vented to the outside? there is the large flappy vent right near by the battery, is this enough? or should i pipe a tube from the battery vent hole to the rubber grummet at the base of the battery tray?

does the tube exit have to be higher than the battery?
    90 E30 325i

Comment

You should have a tube that drops out the bottom of the car that goes to the vent (it's there in case the battery pukes).
      I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
        You should have a tube that drops out the bottom of the car that goes to the vent (it's there in case the battery pukes).

the PO didnt vent his battery... so no signs of a vent tube.

where exactly does the tube exit? does it exit right under the battery plastic tray? there is a hole with a rubber grommet i can easily pass a tube through. or does it go somewhere else?
        90 E30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
          the PO didnt vent his battery... so no signs of a vent tube.

where exactly does the tube exit? does it exit right under the battery plastic tray? there is a hole with a rubber grommet i can easily pass a tube through. or does it go somewhere else?
          Yes it exits at the bottom of the car. Small plastic tube through a grommet in front of the right rear wheel)
          I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
            Yes it exits at the bottom of the car. Small plastic tube through a grommet in front of the right rear wheel)
            thanks! i found the tube, and the little expansion container for the vent that goes to the bottom of the tray on realoem. cheap parts too.
            90 E30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
              thanks! i found the tube, and the little expansion container for the vent that goes to the bottom of the tray on realoem. cheap parts too.
              You're welcome, glad I could help.

Comment

I have the factory plastic tray and use a small ratchet strap to cinch it down.

To keep the strap in place, I slotted the battery tray on each side of the battery with my cutting wheel, and then passed the strap through under the tray and back up again on the other side. The ratchet itself sits between the battery posts and is easy to access.

It works really well: very snug, cheap, easy to remove/install, passes tech, and you probably have one in your garage waiting for a decent use :)
                Brian
                Used BMW Parts!!

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
                  the cables hold it down good enough ;)
                  the weight of the battery will weaken the cables during breaking and acceleration and eventually they will break. ive had mine strapped down with a truck bed strap since the stock pin rusted out for 6 months but still the cables bent and began to break. scary electrical issues on the freeway today. not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin8 View Post
                    the weight of the battery will weaken the cables during breaking and acceleration and eventually they will break. ive had mine strapped down with a truck bed strap since the stock pin rusted out for 6 months but still the cables bent and began to break. scary electrical issues on the freeway today. not good.
                    awesome. You just bumped a 4 year old thread.

Kudos
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Thank you also!! I've been looking for this info too��
                      1991 318is, AWII, Eibach/GC, Koni
                      Riverside CA

Comment

Working...
                      X