Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake lights on all the time and dimly lit - after some stereo work '90 4-door 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lights on all the time and dimly lit - after some stereo work '90 4-door 325i

Hello All
    My brake lights are on all the time and dim - '90 4-door 325i
    Googled but didn't find anything.
    Not about the check light
    Might not be related but yesterday installed a 4-channel stereo amp. Could we have tweaked a wire somewhere or something?
    And today . . . . both rear brake lights are continuously on and dim when key in the ignition. When I step on the brake pedal they brighten up but then go back to dim.
    Thoughts?​
    Attached Files

time to download the etm and trace wiring.

you can get a copy here : http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/
    grab one before the resource is gone forever.

Comment

Thanks 82eye (I think)

closest I could find it "1991 BMW 325i Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.pdf" think that would be same for my 90?

Comment

I would be inclined to use the '89 manual.
        Perhaps they did not make any revisions for the 1990 model year?

Comment

Yupp I printed out the "Stop Light" section for it -- but would sure love to hear a similar experience to save a few (or more hours)

Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like low current is getting into the brake light circuit. Where did you mount the amp? Did you run any wiring under the steering column?
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thank you you ALL ! using a combination of all your advise we figured out that it was a bad cruise control module or something related to it. Process of elimination on things that shared the same fuse. The problem was solved by unplugging the cruise module above the ECU.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for coming back and updating the thread.
                Helps when people search with the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dcf_atl View Post
                  Thank you you ALL ! using a combination of all your advise we figured out that it was a bad cruise control module or something related to it. Process of elimination on things that shared the same fuse. The problem was solved by unplugging the cruise module above the ECU.
                  nice fix. thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by dcf_atl View Post
                    There you go. Good job. I'm very surprised it was the cruise module. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with that before.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                    X