LOUD static when adjusting volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOUD static when adjusting volume

I bought a "new" OE E30 head unit on ebay last year. I doubt it was actually new, but it did come in the original box and was in incredible condition. Everything on it works, but often when I adjust the volume it makes a VERY loud static sound.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Do you think there is anything I can do?

Originally posted by Lippy View Post
    I bought a "new" OE E30 head unit on ebay last year. I doubt it was actually new, but it did come in the original box and was in incredible condition. Everything on it works, but often when I adjust the volume it makes a VERY loud static sound.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Do you think there is anything I can do?
    it's a dirty volume pot. try cleaning it with canned air / electronics cleaner. if it doesn't work the pots can be replaced if you are good with electronics or take it to a custom audio shop.

Comment

82eye do I just spray right at the base of the volume knob? Do you know if the volume knobs pop off? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lippy View Post
        82eye do I just spray right at the base of the volume knob? Do you know if the volume knobs pop off? Thanks!
        no experience directly with the e30 radio. just other electronics. i'll start removing the pot knob and spraying from outside. if that doesn't work i'll progress to taking the covers off. if that doesn't get it i'll replace the pot.

Comment

I actually pulled the knob and used WD40 (didn't have contact cleaner) and it fixed the issue. Just try to get it inside while turning the pot several times. If necessary, remove the radio and clean it with the radio upright. I've done this on an OEM BMW Alpine and aftermarket Kenwood.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
          X