No announcement yet.

head unit wiring + fader delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not test speaker wires. Don't know how to, I used your post on the 1st page in this thread and your sticky to match up wires.
    I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

After goofing around a little I am now rocking out on 3 speakers. I used the fader/balance in the new head unit to confirm. Perhaps the wires at the speaker are loose, I didn’t get a chance to check before the storm. Here’s what I did:
      Dash Speakers Head-unit
      Yellow/Red-LF+
      Yellow/Brown-LF-
      Yellow/Black-LR+
      Yellow/Brown-LR-
      Blue/Red-RF+
      Blue/Brown-RF-
      Blue/Black-RR+
      Blue/Brown-RR-
      I capped 1 Gray/Red that was with the fader speakers.
      Red/Green (12v) Yellow
      Violet/White (Acc.) Red
      Grey/Red (ill.)
      White (amp remote) Blue/White
      The 2 brown (ground) wires I had coming out I spliced into 1 and then into the Black wire of the head unit.
      I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Originally posted by mccor023 View Post
        After goofing around a little I am now rocking out on 3 speakers. I used the fader/balance in the new head unit to confirm. Perhaps the wires at the speaker are loose, I didn’t get a chance to check before the storm. Here’s what I did:
        Dash Speakers Head-unit
        Yellow/Red-LF+
        Yellow/Brown-LF-
        Yellow/Black-LR+
        Yellow/Brown-LR-
        Blue/Red-RF+
        Blue/Brown-RF-
        Blue/Black-RR+
        Blue/Brown-RR-
        Red/Green (12v) Yellow
        Violet/White (Acc.) Red
        Grey/Red (ill.)
        The 2 brown (ground) wires I had coming out I spliced into 1 and then into the Black wire of the head unit.
        Perfect...now swap a different speaker with the dead one, might be done!

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

1990 e30 BMW convertible stereo options

Greetings! I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction since I've read many of your posts and you seem to be the most knowledgable one out there!

My "stock" 1990 BMW e30 manual top convertible would love to have a new stereo. I took her to a stereo shop here in Folsom, CA, and the guy looked at it and told me that isn't the original stereo. It reads BMW on the cassette door, and I bought the car from the original owner, and he told me the car was stock.

That said, my last 1986 e30 had an amp in the back. I didn't see one in this car when I refurbished the antenna last year. The trunk is smaller, etc, because she's a convertible. I haven't removed the kick panels yet to see how many wires go to the speakers - I'm assuming I don't have premium sound because of all your other posts I have read.

Long story short, I was thinking that if I could find a stereo from a later year BMW that had CD changer integration, I could buy it and integrate an iPod into it instead of the CD changer. What I was hoping for was an easy "remove old stereo and plug in "new to me" stereo and then add the iPod integration. I tried one of those FM broadcasters - it sounds pretty lousy.

Do you have any advice for me?

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          OK, stop right there.

If you have a non premium sound car, you do not need (nor would I recommend) to run new wires...everything you need is already in the dash.

That diagram you made in the OP is WRONG, and will smoke your deck after a while, plus it will sound really shitty.

Ask "Danny" what a difference it made, I did his in 15 minutes while we were at the Picnic.

Here is what to do:

1. Remove deck
          2. remove fader
          3. unwrap wires to the fader, about 8 to 10 inches before the plug.

You will find 2 sets of 3 wires, all brown, or like brown/orange.

These are your speaker negatives.

Now, use yellow/red for the left front positive and the wire it is twisted with is the ground for that speaker.

Yellow/black will be the left rear positive, the twisted wire is the ground for that speaker

Blue/red is right front, again with the twisted wire thing...bet you see the pattern now, dont'cha?

Seriously, if this takes you half an hour, I would be amazed.

You will also see how the 2 blue wires feed into the fader, and the chassis ground.

If you see a grey/red wire, that is the dash light circuit. Cap it off, you won't need it.

BTW, the stock 20 year old BMW wire is excellent, use it in good faith.

Comment

Originally posted by tdennehy View Post
            Greetings! I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction since I've read many of your posts and you seem to be the most knowledgable one out there!

My "stock" 1990 BMW e30 manual top convertible would love to have a new stereo. I took her to a stereo shop here in Folsom, CA, and the guy looked at it and told me that isn't the original stereo. It reads BMW on the cassette door, and I bought the car from the original owner, and he told me the car was stock.

That said, my last 1986 e30 had an amp in the back. I didn't see one in this car when I refurbished the antenna last year. The trunk is smaller, etc, because she's a convertible. I haven't removed the kick panels yet to see how many wires go to the speakers - I'm assuming I don't have premium sound because of all your other posts I have read.

Long story short, I was thinking that if I could find a stereo from a later year BMW that had CD changer integration, I could buy it and integrate an iPod into it instead of the CD changer. What I was hoping for was an easy "remove old stereo and plug in "new to me" stereo and then add the iPod integration. I tried one of those FM broadcasters - it sounds pretty lousy.

Do you have any advice for me?
            If you are referring to "faking" the deck into thinking it has a changer, please let me know how you did it.

In the verts, the amp is located under the cover, against the front wall of the trunk, on the left side of the car. Same amp, same colors as far as I know.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by mccor023 View Post
              Dash Speakers Head-unit
              Yellow/Red-LF+
              Yellow/Brown-LF-
              Yellow/Black-LR+
              Yellow/Brown-LR-
              Blue/Red-RF+
              Blue/Brown-RF-
              Blue/Black-RR+
              Blue/Brown-RR-
              Red/Green (12v) Yellow
              Violet/White (Acc.) Red
              Grey/Red (ill.)
              SO after much searching this was the info i needed because my car had already been hacked multiple times. I have sound from all 4 speakers but if i fade either side the speakers begin to crackle. Did i wire correctly?

Comment

soo anyone?

Comment

stock head unit?
                  '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by cool breeze View Post
                    SO after much searching this was the info i needed because my car had already been hacked multiple times. I have sound from all 4 speakers but if i fade either side the speakers begin to crackle. Did i wire correctly?
                    No, it means you likely have a shared speaker negative somewhere.

BTW, they are not "grounds" they are either negatives or "returns", but they are not in contact with chassis ground, thats why the distinction should be clarified.

Lets first start off this: with what year and model is the car?

There have been 5 basic wiring topographies used in E30s, starting with year and model helps nail down which is which.

It does not help at all that BMW doesn't seem to use exact dates for the wiring changeover, but it narrows it down a lot.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Hmm ok well i am unfamiliar with returns as opposed to grounds. my 12v knowledge is recent.
                      1987 325e non-premium system i believe. only 4 speakers
                      Aftermarket headunit, some basic clarion, new

Comment

Yeah, you need to run new wires, no way around it, unfortunately.

However, you can do just the fronts, but at this point, its way easier to just run new.

Closing SOON!

Comment

well shit, installing for a friend who has been happy as it is currently so i guess its staying that way. thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by cool breeze View Post
                            well shit, installing for a friend who has been happy as it is currently so i guess its staying that way. thanks for the help!
                            Here;s a cheap and easy way to tell if it's correct on pretty much any install: run the fader and balance through their range, and they should work as expected. If they get crackly or act weird, its bad wiring.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Bumping an older thread,

I'm currently figuring out if it would be posslible to delete the fader as I would like the extra spot in the center console for an oil temp which is build into an original switch.

Like you, Luke, stated, there are 3 yellow and 3 blue wires + a ground and grey/red wire coming to the fader, one blue and yellow go the the radio, it only has 2 channels.

Could I delete the fader and run both front and both rear speakers to the designated channel without the fader?
                              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                                Could I delete the fader and run both front and both rear speakers to the designated channel without the fader?
                                Yes you can. Delete that little knob. Trace wires and have fun.
                                Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X