Acceptable Home Stereo Amp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • M3 euro ltw
    replied
    Best of all worlds maybe?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/NAD-7175PE-Power...item335da59ff2

    Ok, maybe my final word, I'm procrastinating.

    I actually had one of these too, forgot about it. It was the king of the hill for functionality in terms of switching. No remote of course, but you hadn't made that a priority anyway. This was a VERY powerful, conservatively rated amp section. For modern use, it would actually be quite flexible with the 4 inputs, you could easily use this to switch all sorts of audio signals into your system in front of the TV... playstations, computers, dvd, vcr etc, satellite etc.... very nice switching and recording ability. Also the VERY nice flexibility to upgrade in the future... pre-amp outs for an outboard separate amplifier... very nice, or, find the appropriate vintage amp to match from NAD, and bi-amp speakers even. Tuner is great of course.

    It would be worth stretching to 125 for one of these in my opinion. The "power envelope" is no joke, these were conservatively rated for whatever amps, but the dynamic range for short bursts was HUGE, and that is all you need. Apt Holeman brand may have pioneered the idea (he went on to design THX for Lucas, Tomlinson Holman X(crossover), but NAD ran with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Yes and I missed the C auction end due to community service.. so argh.

    Im starting to like 330Is.

    So best receiver easily available under $100? NAD is out, according to eBay.

    Leave a comment:


  • stumble_t
    replied
    Check out the Onkyo tx-8211
    great receiver that can drive low impedance loads at a CHEAP price

    Leave a comment:


  • M3 euro ltw
    replied
    330c

    There was one on ebay too....

    Check out the NAD 7100... that is an incredible receiver as well, with EXCELLENT tuner section, and the benefit of remote as well.

    It is one of the last hardcore NAD's that really was built nicely.

    Seriously, I have like 3 of these for different uses... garage music, patio music, often running another rare classic, the B&W LM-1s... the original ones, not the cheap plastic ones... I have 3 pair of those too, crazy good sounding small speakers... I usually set up 4 of those with a 7100 for back yard parties....

    The ones on ebay lack the remote, hold off for one with it... its way worth it.
    Last edited by M3 euro ltw; 06-02-2010, 08:13 PM. Reason: update

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Thanks, yeah I won a 330B today... but it isn't what im looking for. My Mom bid on it! So anyways the guy was kind enough to cancel the sale :) Those B's are just kind of well ugly compared to the Cs

    Leave a comment:


  • M3 euro ltw
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    That HK is the same one that ran 26 pairs of speakers for several weeks before finally dying.

    52 speakers is a bit extreme. Typically, with inwall volume controls you run no more than 6 pairs on a single amp. I ran 26 pairs...LOUD...for about 6 weeks or so.

    Damn thing sounded great, too!
    Yep, why am I not surprised?

    I do believe there was the option for black faces on those but that they were few and far between.

    To OP, there were several of the 330's you wanted from the prior generation on ebay as well. Do the search for Kardon, then narrow down to vintage on the left, and you'll find them all.

    Put it in a cabinet with smoked glass, and you won't care about the face.

    You won't regret the version I'm speaking of, but I know cosmetics matter.

    If you want something REALLY cool looking, get the old ADS Atelier system components, that stuff was 80's cool....

    But I'm VERY partial to my NAD personally, have several of them, 7100's Those things rock too.

    Alex.
    Last edited by M3 euro ltw; 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    The 330I, ?

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    That HK is the same one that ran 26 pairs of speakers for several weeks before finally dying.

    52 speakers is a bit extreme. Typically, with inwall volume controls you run no more than 6 pairs on a single amp. I ran 26 pairs...LOUD...for about 6 weeks or so.

    Damn thing sounded great, too!

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Hey thanks, I love H/K but those 330Is are ehh..

    Leave a comment:


  • M3 euro ltw
    replied
    online resources

    Don't forget to look at Audiogon

    The HK stuff is great, I agree with considering the next gen Champaigne colored receivers as well, the 330 or 380, I forget the designation.

    I bought one NEW back in the 80's in college, my sister is still beating on it to this day. Back then it was set up in my college frat room with a pair of B&W 110 speakers, and at first a Thoren's TT.

    I had to upgrade (quite a difference) to a B&O turntable because the suspension on those is so freakishly tolerant of vibration and old buildings like a frat house where the floor MOVED a lot....

    That was years ago... probably because I did well in college, I've been able to move up in the world of AV, and the HT includes Brystons for all 7 channels B&W 802's across the front, bipolar B&WS on the side, and a choice of 804, or 805 in the rear, BD, DLP, Velodyne sub, a Lexicon MC-8 for signal manipulation etc...

    Fun stuff, all sparked by that early HK......Thanks for the memories.

    3 of the 330's I speak of on ebay now...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMAN-KARDON-HK...item19bca3f312

    http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMAN-KARDON-HK...item35a9ce87b7

    http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMAN-KARDON-HK...item35a9ce87b7

    and one of the 490's I don't recall the details on this, I think it had many more features.... maybe do some research, this might be the pick of the bunch... but I KNOW those 330's rock and had great FM, as well as a very, very clean sound....Way beyond mid-fi crap.

    Good luck!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-hk...item35a9cf7388

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Due to stupid ass eBay, and my Mom's forgetfulness I missed out on a pristine and cheap 330C. ARGH I AM PISSED :curse:

    Anyways what about these, supposedbly they are pretty decent and on the H/Ks same level.

    The Marantz 2220B & 2216B. Everything Ive read is very good.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    My Dad can't stand 5.1, because he grew up with just two channel.. as did 75% of music appreciaters.

    Ill be kicking it old school with this HK. Dont worry Ill post pics in a week.

    Leave a comment:


  • europeanplates
    replied
    Look up Audio Design Assoicates. This is the stuff you want. There are others. I have set up maybe 1000 home theaters.

    Ty

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Like 2007ish, but kind of a cheapie, like $450ish retail. And yes, the 6th is a rear center. Does OK, but 5.1 is adequate for my needs.

    The stuff I want is so far out of my league right now...I just wanna build a decent HT system, then hopefully start on a serious 2 channel setup.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Crowns are awesome. I have a family friend who is an amateur DJ. He builds his cabinets and all that jazz, he only uses crown.

    How old is your H/K? And what is the 6th channel for? A rear center channel?

    Leave a comment:

Working...