Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
    I'm probably not the first to think of this but the sub level controller fits in the ash tray if you cut the a hole for the controller to sit lower in the tray so that it closes like stock...
    Nice! But....

If you cracked open that sub level control, you'll find an even smaller "potentiometer" - so you can even make it smaller or fit where ever you want.

I love sub level controls, but I find a multi-band EQ fixes all of that.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      Nice! But....

If you cracked open that sub level control, you'll find an even smaller "potentiometer" - so you can even make it smaller or fit where ever you want.

I love sub level controls, but I find a multi-band EQ fixes all of that.
      I pulled the screw out of the back of it and tried to pull it apart, but didn't want to break it...

I don't really know anything about a sub level control as I've never built a system before...
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I have that same planet audio sub level control. It looks good like it is, but if you did want to take it apart and make it smaller you can. Check out my post on page 10 of this thread.
        98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37 View Post
          I have that same planet audio sub level control. It looks good like it is, but if you did want to take it apart and make it smaller you can. Check out my post on page 10 of this thread.
          That looks nice! I guess I skimmed the thread badly...

Edit: where did your amp end up? I was thinking of trying to make mine fit on the underside of the parcel shelf (in the trunk) between the stock back speakers where it will be hidden.
          -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Luke, Should I install sound deadener on the backside of the seat? Between the box and seat metal. Not in the center where the sub is but on the sides, where it is still white.. I'm trying to decide if its worth it...

Any ideas on places I missed other than the doors? I doubled it up on the trans tunnel.
            Attached Files
            -Christian

Comment

Under the rear seat, on the rear deck, and wheel wells, if it were mine I would do the bulkhead too, along withe the trunk. But that's me, you are well on your way to a fantastic system...

Comment

Thanks, it seems quite a bit quieter in the road noise department! My muffler doesn't seem much improved... I pulled the parcel shelf and added a bit to the middle, but I may revisit there later, its a 5 min job to get there...
                I don't have many rattles with the sub thumping, except for my euro plate filler, but that just needs some double sided tape... Overall it is very nice sounding! Sounds very clear and smooth if you don't have the bass gain cranked... It can make more than enough bass for my taste. I need to back mine off a bit...

I love that the space in the boot is preserved! See pic. I'll update my build thread on Monday probably.
                Attached Files
                -Christian

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                  Thanks, it seems quite a bit quieter in the road noise department!
                  The subwoofer box is built to isolate your cabin and eliminate any chance of metal vibrations/rattle/racket, so any you add is basically just wasted effort/cost.

If I were you I would focus on tire noise. Do the inside of your wheel wells first. The box will reduce general road noise and especially muffler noise significantly, far more effectively than all of the deadner you have done so far by triple. My advice is always the same: install your system and then, if you feel the need for further sound reduction (you won't, no one ever does) tackle the project with a stethoscope and test tones.

Drowning your car in dynamat won't do any more than a few square inches strategically placed, no matter what the internet says. Hundreds of dollars, hours of effort and 50 pounds of deadner won't do what the box does, it is damn near magic.

BTW, your work looks stellar! Keep it going and don't hesitate to call or email if I can help...but get that box shoved in place and screw it down, you will see immediately what I am talking about. Its a HUGE difference in noise levels.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

This is a long thread and I may have missed the answer I'm looking for. How much difference is there in bass from the 10 box and 12box ? This box is on my wish list. Thanks for this great thread.
                    sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Such a legit guide, great help luke! I got a gift of 2 10"s crewin vega brand in a crewin vega box, 1500 digital amp with bass control, was gonna install it sooner but when I pulled my radio unit found a Disney Mickey Mouse scene so now I gotta fix that lol. Another thanks for the legit thread. Now back to work!
                      1991 325i Schwarz coupe AT

Check out my wtb thread changes often | SoCal |
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293850

Feed back thread, if you deal with me leave a comment!
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...63#post3847663

Comment

Originally posted by Dakotademon7 View Post
                        This is a long thread and I may have missed the answer I'm looking for. How much difference is there in bass from the 10 box and 12box ? This box is on my wish list. Thanks for this great thread.
                        First, let me say thanks for the kind words. It feels good to know the stuff we put so much time and effort into designing and building are on peoples wish lists. Thats really cool, because we all know how hard it is to come up with money for stereo stuff and we know how much it matters to some of us...so, thanks!

Hmmmm. 10" vs 12". Tough to quantify, but let me see what I can do.

Lets assume we are using the same mids and highs, same amp (lets say 350RMS on bass) same woofer, but 12" vs 10" G.A.S. boxes. E30. of course.

The easy answer is about 10db louder and plays almost half an octave lower.

The 12 hits lower. Much lower. You can hear all kinds of stuff on a very few recordings that actually have detail down below 35hz (most rap boom is around 40Hz) but how it feels is that the 10" hits you in the chest while the 12" hits you in the belly.

The 10" and 12" are equally snappy. In terms of rise time or response time, virtually no difference. The 10" does tend to deal with higher frequencies better, so kick drum and bass guitar may seem "tighter", but its only due to the overall frequency response playing lower. Don't buy into that "faster" or "slower" bullshit, if you want to understand why one sounds different, you have to look at more than just response time, but we can leave the discussion of harmonics and subharmonics out of this for now.

Keep in mind that the general efficiency of the 12" is higher, so you get more "boom" no matter what just because it is a bigger sail flapping the breeze, but the sound is far more thunderous.

We have had a LOT of people reporting that they thought they broke a driveshaft or had a blowout while driving with one of our subwoofers playing loud. The first response to the panic was to hit the pause button of course, and the noise stopped. The 12" will physically shake your car harder and you will hear things in songs you thought you knew...and you will hate all other subwoofers in a big hurry.

In terms of making a decision between the 10" and the 12", look at a few things. The 10" hits hard, tight, clean and plenty of thunder, the 12" is just lower and more. Not even all that much lower, but what is does play lower on has more authority.

So, decision time: decide first if you are willing to punch holes in your rear deck. It ain't easy and it is absolutely necessary for the 12" box. The box is only 2" deeper, the woofers are about the same price, only weighs a few pounds more, but it is one hell of a difference to a basshead.

I guess the difference is like being hit by a 8lb sledgehammer or a 12lb sledge. Both are gonna hurt like hell, but the bigger one will hurt a little more.

So, if you are willing to punch holes in your car, just look through your music collection. If over 75% of your music is "heavy bass", be it Rap, Hip Hop, Trance, House, Reggae, D-n-B or EDM, quit thinking about it and get a 12".

If you are less than 75% you can still get a 12" BTW. James Blunt will still sound fantastic, your GF won't complain and no matter what your car will sound great.

IMO, the 10" is the perfect blend of small, easy, no cutting, plenty of wallop, just a perfect "everyday" subwoofer. That is what I have in my E34 right now, just a 10" woofer in our E3410" box, it does fantastically...but shortly here I will be switching to one of our "Vertical Mount" boxes. That is an entirely different story in bottom end reproduction. My last E30 had a vertical mount box and it would easily flap the roof 2" using only 600 watts.

Feel free to PM me with questions too, maybe I can find a car near you to listen to, we have hundreds of boxes all over the US and lots of people would be willing to have you listen to their system.

Hope this helps!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking I should go with the 12" box for the deck ports. My car doesn't have the fold down rear arm rest. I'm so glad I found out about this sub box. It's like a made a wish list on what kind of box I wanted and you made it just for me. Lol. I wanted a box that made nice bass but didn't like the idea of a big box in the trunk take up needed space and rattling the crap out of the truck and plate. Wanted a sub in the back seat for best bass but didn't want to have to take it out if someone needed to ride in the back and don't like it being seem by anyone walking by my car. Shit happens from that. This box just seems perfect for my needs. I just have to save up to get one. Money is very tight right now with my wife being out of work for so long recovering from breast cancer. Hope to afford one by spring.
                          sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Luke, I just installed a 10" in BATAVIA motorwerks car, hands down the best box I have ever heard, I installed the obcon shark tooth sub, it hits super hard. I'm afraid to push the sub too hard but the box is un fucking believable......

Comment

i look forward to this in the summer.

question:
                              what if i do not have premium sound? are there any significant changes? how will i compensate?

Comment

I saw on the first page of this thread that you were saying that soldering is not the way to go? but crimping is? I'm not trying to start anything here, because I want to know if melting friggin solder all over myself is worth it.

I'm way too OCD with soldering so it takes me like 3-5 times in order to make it look halfway decent in my standards. but shrink wrap makes everything beaaaauuuutiful

Comment

Working...
                                X