Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Edit: My bad, sorry about that.
    Last edited by george graves; 11-17-2016, 04:38 AM.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

    Comment


      George if you have another solution to offer, post it up. Otherwise I'll ask you to kindly refrain from posts containing nothing more than throwing shade.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

      Comment


        Originally posted by agent View Post
        George if you have another solution to offer, post it up. Otherwise I'll ask you to kindly refrain from posts containing nothing more than throwing shade.
        I appreciate that...
        Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 11-13-2016, 09:31 AM.

        Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

        Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

        Thanks for 10 years of fun!

        Comment


          So let's see some pics of your subwoofer control installs. Trying to decide where to put mine...

          Oh, and what about the carpeted trunk floor cover? Will it fit underneath the LukeBox or is cutting required?

          Thinking of spraying the trunk floor with some sort of textured black paint since the trunk tar removal fucks the original paint. Anyone have a better idea?

          Comment


            Originally posted by TrentW View Post
            So let's see some pics of your subwoofer control installs. Trying to decide where to put mine...

            Oh, and what about the carpeted trunk floor cover? Will it fit underneath the LukeBox or is cutting required?

            Thinking of spraying the trunk floor with some sort of textured black paint since the trunk tar removal fucks the original paint. Anyone have a better idea?
            Trent,
            I remember having to cut the pad out of the carpet where it fit under the Lukebox..but that was during my trying to fit it with the Ireland Engineering billet rear sway bar mounts installed with the hex head bolts through the trunk floor. I don't know if it would have fit after I had countersunk the IE billet rear sway bar mount bolts through the trunk floor.
            I made up my subwoofer volume control to fit in a switch blank like Luke had done in a previous post. It was from a different amplifier and does not work with my installed amplifier (Powerbass ASA 700.5) I will sell it to you real cheap if you want it. It was from a Jensen 5ch amp like Luke shows on page one of this post.
            Thanks,
            Stan

            http://s162.photobucket.com/user/S2R...ml?sort=3&o=0:

            Comment


              Originally posted by The White Guy View Post
              Trent,
              I remember having to cut the pad out of the carpet where it fit under the Lukebox..but that was during my trying to fit it with the Ireland Engineering billet rear sway bar mounts installed with the hex head bolts through the trunk floor. I don't know if it would have fit after I had countersunk the IE billet rear sway bar mount bolts through the trunk floor.
              I made up my subwoofer volume control to fit in a switch blank like Luke had done in a previous post. It was from a different amplifier and does not work with my installed amplifier (Powerbass ASA 700.5) I will sell it to you real cheap if you want it. It was from a Jensen 5ch amp like Luke shows on page one of this post.
              Thanks,
              Stan

              http://s162.photobucket.com/user/S2R...ml?sort=3&o=0:
              Thanks, but I already purchased the control.

              And I have the same amp as you.

              Comment


                The sub-woffer control is just a potentiometer(AKS a variable resistor). Different amp maker might use different values. Easy to look up. If you don't want a knob that stick out like that, then the ash tray, or the drive side lower cover panel is always an option.
                Last edited by george graves; 11-21-2016, 06:20 AM.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                Comment


                  The issue is that while the sub level controllers are just a simple potentiometer, the cables seems to change on every model and brand. Some are 4 conductor, some 6 and some are 8 wire, and even among the same pin count, they still arent interchangeable for the most part.

                  I have the ends and the crimpers, I've made them work several times by changing one end of a cable, but that is a whole bunch of hassle.

                  Here is the DIY I wrote 5 years ago, hope it helps: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209700

                  Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

                  Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

                  Thanks for 10 years of fun!

                  Comment


                    ^Good post, just will add.....

                    Yea, some use RJ-11 "telephone cable". So six conductors. Why 6? So that so some of the wires can carry an "amp on" led(as the amp in Luke's post/car) - but that's about it. Other will use a "head phone jack" type connector. But it's still just a pot. The important part is the three wires.

                    If your amp uses the telephone wire type connector, and really want to get crazy you can buy the crimp tool for $10(see below). It's just like a rj-45 crimper(think internet cat-5/6 cables), and you can buy a 2-in1 combo. Or you can just strip the supplied cable. Done and done. ;)

                    The tool Lance mentioned is $10 on ebay if you really are interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...oAAOSwKtlWq44v
                    Last edited by george graves; 11-22-2016, 05:15 AM.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                    Comment


                      So I have this PAC controller. Will work with the Powerbass 700.5 amp?

                      https://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remo...9833109&sr=1-1

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                        So I have this PAC controller. Will work with the Powerbass 700.5 amp?

                        https://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remo...9833109&sr=1-1
                        Yup, just remember that there will be a little loss in voltage...generally no big deal

                        Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

                        Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

                        Thanks for 10 years of fun!

                        Comment


                          I FINALLY powered up my system last night. No smoke or frying wire sounds, but had to jumper the remote terminal to battery to get the amp (Powerbass ASA 700.5) to power on. Turns out there is an optional sub controller avail as an option with this amp. Didn't realize this and bought a PAC LC-1 controller and, with Luke's help, got it wired in.

                          Question is, I need to supply acc power to the remote terminal and can't find a switched source wire in the trunk area, only unswitched power. Where did you guys tie into for this? My brain is mush today, but hope to get this completed and tuned today so I can move on to other little projects before I leave for The Vintage on Wed.

                          Big thanks also to Stan "The White Guy" for his assistance. Greatly appreciated!

                          Comment


                            Well, I've got ACC power to the remote now, but only cause I figured out from my Alpine manual that the blue/wht is the remote power wire. Just to test it first, I ran it out the window to the amp in the trunk and now it's working and powering off & on with the key.

                            Looks like I'm gonna have to have to run that blue wire from amp to head unit now dammit. Think if I go thru the rear grommet and under the short section on top of the rear trans tunnel then under the console it won't be that hard.
                            Last edited by TrentW; 05-13-2017, 11:10 PM.

                            Comment


                              Oh god damn. Still need to tune it a bit more, but it was worth all the trouble. Annie Lennox never sounded so clean, clear and powerful.

                              Thanks Luke, for a great product!

                              Comment


                                You might want to start a new thread if you have any questions. As this thread is dead.
                                Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X