X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradnic
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleman View Post
    Radio #3 - Model KE-83ZBM (Pioneer). Has been seen in a few late model E30's.
    This is the 4 channel Pioneer that used to be sold by BMW dealers as a "CD ready" radio upgrade. I have seen a 92 convertible with this radio as well. Here's a Jan 1990 Roundel ad showing this exact radio.

EDIT: just noted a later post from Aleman where he clarified that it is a 4 channel radio
    An eBay seller said this about Radio #3 Model KE-83ZBM (Pioneer):

A very nice used and tested BMW cassette player. BMW model Pioneer KE-83ZBM. Functions include: cassette, auto reverse, scan, AM/FM/WB. Will fit other E34 and E32 models. This can be used on the E30/E28/E24 with some modifications to your wiring. This is a 4-channel output radio, while the E30/E28/E24 used a 2-channel for the most part. This unit is designed to be used with a factory amp. A rare find.
    Here's the back of the KE83BM - note 4 speaker connectors, and a CD changer connector (the round "DIN" connector).

As @Aleman / OP mentioned earlier cars had the external fader in the HVAC panel, and 2 channel head units like the Alpine CM5905 and CM5907.

Take a look at this Jan 87 E30 brochure - note the CM5907 and the fader knob in the HVAC panel (man everything about that pic is just perfect isn't it...).

Some 87 cars and 88 IXes still had these fader buttons too - so they were NOT "CD ready". Instead of the 5905/7 they came with a 2 channel version of the Pioneer radio, Model KE-81ZBM. In fact my 88ix lachs/cardinal coupe has this exact setup. Check out the KE81 in this Motorweek video clip

KE81 front face - no mode switch on right end

KE81 rear face - no CD connector, only 2 speaker connectors

KE81 closeup on the connectors

Finally, since the rear of the 5908 slider isn't pictured on this thread I've included it here. Note again the CD connector and 4 channel speaker connections.

Based on all this info, it's safe to say that if your car came with that external fader knob, it had 2 channel wiring and is not "CD Ready".
    Last edited by bradnic; 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    btw ymmv, but it's not clear to me the added channel content has really been all that compelling. I can take or leave the scrolling text and album art too - if I want album art I'll look at my phone screen.

as to digital broadcast vs analog, what I've usually found in my newer cars is if you can't receive analog due to poor signal quality you probably won't receive the HD-Radio digital signal either.

The cold, hard truth is that HD Radio is a format in search of an audience that never asked for it in the first place.
    Last edited by bradnic; 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    I'm going this route. Resto-mod for my OEM radio.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=421082
    Hmm, that looks really cool, but the BT board costs more than the new deck I bought.
    That's not surprising, especially if you bought that radio before @jaysterling's board became available.

Please keep in mind that your radio is 30 years old. It will absolutely need service for its internal power amp and the tape mechanism as both elements have parts that wear out and need replacing.

Unfortunately if you're relying on the tape deck you're on borrowed time as the rubber belts, capstans etc will inevitably fail. There's no practical way to repair the tape mechanism other than to swap it out. The swapped unit will also have old parts in it though.

Is it possible to add HD radio to the factory radio using the BT card?
    that's a great question. It would require a new hd radio tuner module, and a way to inject station metadata to the display. If you can live without the metadata display you could take an external hdradio module and use the latest cantaloupe board's aux in.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Is it possible to add HD radio to the factory radio using the BT card?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=421082
    Hmm, that looks really cool, but the BT board costs more than the new deck I bought.

Leave a comment:

• Aleman
    replied
    Are most people running these stock radios or going aftermarket? Besides nostalgia and originality what are the benefits of running the stock radio? I have the original radio and amp for mine that the previous owner has cut out. I could wire it back in, but I got a new Alpine unit I'm planning to install instead. I want to be able to hook up the iPod/iPhone and HD radio, BT, and a CD player are nice... Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    Are most people running these stock radios or going aftermarket? Besides nostalgia and originality what are the benefits of running the stock radio? I have the original radio and amp for mine that the previous owner has cut out. I could wire it back in, but I got a new Alpine unit I'm planning to install instead. I want to be able to hook up the iPod/iPhone and HD radio, BT, and a CD player are nice... Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    Thanks @agent!

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Stickied.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    bump for sticky.

Leave a comment:

• strickland
    replied
    Bump

Leave a comment:

• aearch
    replied
    old listing

would anyone still have the ke-83zbm
    i could buy im alan at alangarch@yahoo.com

Leave a comment:

• 320iconvertible
    replied
    Oh I see. It's my first e30. It looks so clean and we'll placed that I thought for sure it's stock. Thanks for the input guys much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by 320iconvertible View Post
    Hey Guys im new to r3vlimited. i just bought my first E30. 1990 320i convertible. the vin# indicates it is a European model. it has a aftermarket radio installed and i would like to get the original one back in it. i tried looking up the radio but was unsuccessful i hope that someone could help me out with the make/model and where i could buy it from. All i know it has a stock Sony CD changer in the trunk. i will take some pictures today and post them hopefully they will help. i appreciate it guys! thanks,

Allen
    No such thing. E30s used the Pioneer MBus changers, usually BMW branded, but if you ran a new cable you could use the Pioneer changer on the E30 deck

Leave a comment:

• boomer
    replied
    Your best bet would be ebay.co.uk or ebay.de.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X