Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 Button On Board Computer SCREEN repair ideas?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, yeah maybe the 13-segment characters for the German one have provisions for the umlaut and such, which would not be found in the US one.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

There's no special "German" LCD, lol. All the OBCs have both German and English. When my battery is unplugged, mine goes back to German. There's a switch you can press to change it to English (UK), English (US), and German. I just leave it since I'm lazy and I don't really care (and I can read it either way).

I don't think the screen even shows umlauts, dopple-S, etc, so it doesn't need special characters.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        There's no special "German" LCD, lol. All the OBCs have both German and English. When my battery is unplugged, mine goes back to German. There's a switch you can press to change it to English (UK), English (US), and German. I just leave it since I'm lazy and I don't really care (and I can read it either way).

I don't think the screen even shows umlauts, dopple-S, etc, so it doesn't need special characters.
        DO you think that LCD will work in all OBC?
        e30sport.net
        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

I don't see why not.

Do german OBCs have a different part #? it would be easy to check.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't see why not.

Do german OBCs have a different part #? it would be easy to check.
            They do. Euro english (UK I presume) OBC have a different part number than the US spec OBC. There is also another english OBC part number for Australia and Canada.

Input unit on-board computer (ENGLISH) USA 65811386867
            Input unit on-board computer (ENGLISH) CAN/AUS 65811386868
            Input unit on-board computer (ENGLISH) Euro 65811386395
            Input unit on-board computer (FRENCH) Euro 65811386397
            Input unit on-board computer (SPANISH) Euro 65811386398
            Input unit on-board computer (ITALIAN) Euro 65811386399
            Input unit on-board computer (GERMAN) Euro 65811386866
            e30sport.net

Comment

I wonder if they're all the same, with a different dip switch or jumper inside to set the default language. Now I that I think about it, I wonder if my OBC is the German version - since the default language is always German. But it also can be set to UK imperial or US imperial.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I wonder if they're all the same, with a different dip switch or jumper inside to set the default language. Now I that I think about it, I wonder if my OBC is the German version - since the default language is always German. But it also can be set to UK imperial or US imperial.

I think they all default to German. Which makes it even weirder that there are separate US versions. I always thought the difference would be the language printed on the buttons but everything else was the same. I have no idea what would need to be different. People have swapped in OBC with German language buttons, did everything work alright?

I emailed the place selling the LCD and asked if it worked with the US version and they said it would not but did not give an explanation.
                e30sport.net

Comment

yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Makes sense the buttons could be printed differently, but like I said in 'German' mode it works just fine with the American LCD, so I don't see why it wouldn't go the other way.

That said I have an extra 13 button OBC and harness I don't want or need.. not sure if the backlight works but I think the LCD was ok.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've been searching forever to find a solution to the OBC screen bleed and thought I had found the answer with this thread. Only to find another dead end. lol

I wrote and asked them why it wouldn't work. The reply was "the BC1 is world wide the same but the BC2 has 2 versions. We have the version for black housings bu the US models have most often a white hosing."
                    They said they MAY have a US version coming out sometime 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by pstagman View Post
                      I've been searching forever to find a solution to the OBC screen bleed and thought I had found the answer with this thread. Only to find another dead end. lol

I wrote and asked them why it wouldn't work. The reply was "the BC1 is world wide the same but the BC2 has 2 versions. We have the version for black housings bu the US models have most often a white hosing."
                      There was a guy a few months ago selling displays on the r3v facebook group that claimed worked with US OBC units. They werent very expensive so may be worth a try, cheaper than a new 13-button. Good luck dealing with anyone on the facebook group though....
                      e30sport.net

Comment

Originally posted by pstagman View Post

I know this is almost a year after this thread ended, but I think I can add some useful information for repairing 13 button OBC units. I confirmed today that the LCD screen available from Partsworks(germany) works with the BLACK housing OBC units. I pulled the OBC from my 92 325i convertible and discovered it is a WHITE housing version. I also had two black housing versions in my parts stock pile so I took both versions apart. The Black housing versions were made in Germany by VDO. The white version was made in the US by Lectron Products. They are very different internally. The VDO (black) versions have several stacked pcbs (as you can see in the earlier pictures posted). The Lectron (white) version has fewer boards. The Lectron also does not have removable ribbon cables.

The biggest issue though is the LCD. The Lectron (white) version LCD is soldered down with metal connectors. The VDO (black) uses a ribbon cable and the conductive foam "zebra" strips. The screen I received from parts works will NOT work with the Lectron (white) version.

I put the new screen into one of my spare VDO units and it works perfectly! If you have a VDO black unit, it really isn't that difficult to repair. Here is a link to the new LCD screen:

https://partworks.de/en-gearworks-de...puter-bc2.html

I hope this info helps anyone contemplating an 13 button OBC repair. I have more pictures and would be happy to post the ones most relevant to swapping LCD screens in the VDO version. In addition, I have messed around with using LEDs for the light bar.
                        Last edited by whaudio; 07-31-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200729_152344.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	9941744
                          Oh, and just to show it works!

Comment

Originally posted by zemunac View Post
                            13 button obc instalation problems

Hey guys, I ordered a new obc display for my e30 and having some issues getting the pins centered properly (display missing segments). I also had this piece fall out while I was installing the display, does anyone know what it might be?
                            If anyone runs across this green piece, it is basically a shim to keep the LCD screen from shifting side to side. Here is a picture of where it belongs:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200727_143428.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	9941746

Comment

Thanks for the update. I have two OBCs, the one in my car (which still works) I'm pretty sure is a white base. I also have a black base that has a dead backlight. I have thought on and off of selling it, but so far I have only ever regretted selling spare E30 parts. I end up wanting one later and have to pay 10x what I sold it for.

Seems like I should order an lcd for the black base OBC and restore it. I've been working on restoring a bunch of window and door switches too.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the update. I have two OBCs, the one in my car (which still works) I'm pretty sure is a white base. I also have a black base that has a dead backlight. I have thought on and off of selling it, but so far I have only ever regretted selling spare E30 parts. I end up wanting one later and have to pay 10x what I sold it for.

Seems like I should order an lcd for the black base OBC and restore it. I've been working on restoring a bunch of window and door switches too.
                                I hear ya. I almost sold my spares a couple of years ago. Glad I didn't! I actually went ahead and ordered another LCD to have as a spare while they are available. We have 4 e30s in the fam between me and my 3 boys. One of them is bound to need a repair at some point 😊

I fixed my back light with LEDs. Looks great and I hope it holds up longer than the incandescent bulbs.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200728_215443__01.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9942243

Comment

Working...
                                X