That stupid gas millage indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stupid gas millage indicator

It may be a me problem but I do not care to look at that indicator go up and down. I find it useless to tack MPG that way. Has anyone retrofitted something else in their like oil pressure ?

There are a few options out there as far as a retro fit. one of them is a boost gauge, not sure if oil pressure has been done. It is fairly useless, and doesnt give real information about actual MPG

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
      It is fairly useless, and doesnt give real information about actual MPG
      Have you actually tested it's accuracy on a stock vehicle?

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It is fairly useless
        I'd like to think mine works as its supposed to haha. Same goes for the OBC mpg. 20 on the highway (stock m20) sounds about right
        "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

We make singe or dual gauge systems for that area. DM or email me for quotes on something like this or check our website for pricing.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	dual%20gague.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	9877945
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Nice looking digital gauges there GregsM!

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
            Have you actually tested it's accuracy on a stock vehicle?
            They're probably reasonably accurate with a stock engine given that it's not just a vacuum gauge. Mine in the e30 is way off as it still thinks the M30 is a 2.0L so on the cruise it says I'm getting between 5 & 6L / 100km :) I wish! The SI board is also way off & says I need a service at after around 2000km if I reset the lights because it thinks the 2.0L is getting absolutely hammered!
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

The gauge is driven off the ECU, I reckon an arduino or similar could drive it and you could change the gauge to be anything you like. Probably alot of fiddling about but not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                They're probably reasonably accurate with a stock engine given that it's not just a vacuum gauge.
                Exactly!

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I think they are pretty useless as well. I'm thinking of just getting some sort of overlay printed to place over the MPG figures that just shows a speaker icon like a volume dial. Quiet or Loud , depending on how far down the foot is,
                  1985 325e -> M60 swap project
                  1983 GTV6
                  1974 X1/9

Comment

It does not reflect cumulative MPG, so how can I test it for accuracy?

Comment

As long as it's a stock m20 (or other OEM/OBD1 swap), it's fairly accurate. Even in the 80's we knew how to calculate fuel consumption by the actual injector pulses. ;)
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

It does not reflect cumulative MPG, so how can I test it for accuracy?
                        It's cumulative until you reset it, then it's instant and will average until the next reset.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

M3s came with a oil temp gauge there. Good luck finding one for a decent price though.

Comment

Working...
                          X