84 E30 M10 with 89 M20 swap. cluster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 E30 M10 with 89 M20 swap. cluster question

I have searched on here and Google, and the answers I find are very inconsistent.

This is what I have. 1984 318 that the PO swapped a 1989 M20b25 into. The gauge cluster is shot, I need a new one. The existing is a vdo without a coding plug.

I understand that I will need a pre facelift cluster because of the gas tank issue, unless I change the fuel gauge. I will also need a cluster from a 325i so the tach functions correctly. So I think I am looking for a VDO cluster from a 86-88 325i? Will a different cluster work? I am good with auto wiring, so if it is a matter of tracing and splicing wires to make a different cluster work, I can do that.

Thanks

Your current cluster has a rear coding plug.

To my knowledge the early fuel gauge/sending unit stopped at 09/87. So you need a 7k tach, a front coding plug cluster frame (late model has check engine light, early front coding plug doesn't), and a 6cyl coding plug (1385468).

*I think* '87 325i or '87 325iS cluster will be the only "full" cluster that'll work. VDO/Motometer are interchangeable.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X