No announcement yet.

Convertible owners - post your battery tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That weight is there for a reason. If you do swap out the weight for a battery, the E36 has a battery that's specifically made to absorb the vibrations. Not sure what the dimensions are, but if it fits that's the one I'd use.
    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

When I bought mine it had a rubber bungee cord holding down the battery, still haven't got around to getting the factory one in there

Comment

^ Hmm that's right. I work in a battery store and a customer came in today for an e36 M3 convertible battery, which specifically says "vibration resistant." And also costs like $150

I want to swap in an AGM because they are by design vibration resistant. But I don't want to do all that and find out it was better left stock :P

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Can you look up the dimensions of the E36M3 battery? I want to see if it will fit.

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Here we go.

It's a Group 92

Package Weight 37.0000 lbs
            Length 12.5000 in
            Width 6.8750 in
            Height 6.8750 in
            Last edited by Das Delfin; 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Here's mine.. the clueless first owners had a battery leak and never cleaned and neutralized the spill. I sanded and wire brushed the tray, gave it three coats of epoxy primer from a Spray Maxx two part rattle can followed by three coats of brush-on Randolph Aerospace Acid Proof battery box paint from Aircraft Spruce. Here is the result...

Comment

Now there's a man who takes pride in his battery tray. Nicest one I've ever seen :)
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks, Jeff! With this as my retirement project I can take the time to do things right...hence my purchase of your seat shocks a few weeks back!

Comment

^ "take time to do things right" that's my motto!

Jeff, I'll let ya know if your shocks are any good in a few years

Comment

Originally posted by PKile View Post
                        Thanks, Jeff! With this as my retirement project I can take the time to do things right...hence my purchase of your seat shocks a few weeks back!
                        I appreciate it and keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                        ^ "take time to do things right" that's my motto!

Jeff, I'll let ya know if your shocks are any good in a few years
                        I'm counting on it...lol..and as long as I stil have these available I'll replace any that go bad within a year.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

How did you guys relocate the battery to the rear? The stock e30 cable has a zero chance in my '92 vert of being pulled from the rear seat area (by that support bar) in the existing hole that is back there.

I can run it through the 'back firewall' that is between the seat back and trunk....but I'm going to have length issues if I run it to the side.

Also- Since the setup is a little different in the verts vs coupes- I ended up wrapping the cable with this thick rubber material that I had laying around- don't want this cable to rub against the body and short without any plastic tray etc protecting it. However- I didn't wrap the other end of the cable being pulled through the back- since it's already turning out to be a bitch.

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                          '95 BMW e34 525i
                          '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                          '92 Range Rover Classic
                          '90 Range Rover Classic
                          '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                          '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                          '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                          '67 Pontiac LeMans
                          '24 Model T Depot Hack
                          ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Note for future vert guys moving the battery to the rear. Since the stock 325i cable is a few inches too short- make sure that when you do add another few inches to the cable- to buy a 2/0 butt splice (crimp connector) since 1/0 is too small (the cable itself is somewhere between 1/0 and 2/0 but not an exact standard gauge)

I'm using the stock 325i cable from the front, put the 2/0 splice near the door frame and continued back with a e36 m3 cable I had from a partout to the trunk (they turned out to be the same measurements, both length and inner/outer diameter)
                            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                            '95 BMW e34 525i
                            '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                            '92 Range Rover Classic
                            '90 Range Rover Classic
                            '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                            '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                            '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                            '67 Pontiac LeMans
                            '24 Model T Depot Hack
                            ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Got around to fixing this. Here's what it looks like now
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	gIwhO6i.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	9867171

I put a group 48 AGM in the back of the car and installed the battery cable system from a 325i. When I went to install the remote positive terminal, the battery cable looked a bit short for the stock punch outs in the firewall. Because the holes were only punch outs, I just drilled a set of new holes that would work with the length of cable. The engine harness and fuse box wires attached like normal.

Comment

Nice job on that former tray. I also used a stock E30 cable and proactively paid attention to potential chafing issues before they resulted in some scary sparks.
                                Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X