Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear passenger floor wet. Where are the rear drains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear passenger floor wet. Where are the rear drains?

It doesn't rain much here but when it does, my rear passenger carpet gets soaked. I once noticed water dripping past the top seal, onto the seat and trickling down into the carpet. I fixed the seal but the carpet still gets soaked seemingly from underneath. I suspect water is getting in from the rear quarter glass seal since there is a small gap between it and the window glass where it meets the door. I just adjusted the window so the seal presses up against the glass and I hope this does the trick. Anyway, I'm curious if there is a drain for the rear quarters? is it a slit by the seems under the doors? Thanks.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Could it be the drain for the rear cover that hides the soft top. They have drains at the bottom (Front towards the softtop mounts) and sometimes things can get stuck in there causing the water to come from only the rear of the car...Leafs, Dift , what might have been on your soft top over time.

Comment

Check the body plug in the floor to see if its in place properly

Comment

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
        Could it be the drain for the rear cover that hides the soft top. They have drains at the bottom (Front towards the softtop mounts) and sometimes things can get stuck in there causing the water to come from only the rear of the car...Leafs, Dift , what might have been on your soft top over time.
        faulty tonneau cover drains will drip water into the trunk.

the window to body seal should drip water into the cavity between the quarter panel and metal structure in the inside of the rear window. my guess would be the door seal itself if you are sure it isn't coming from the b pillar seal.

i suggest, taking out the rear seat and the passenger seat. pull up the carpet on that side of the car. sit inside the car in the back and have your wife spray the garden hose on that side of the car. you should be able to see where its coming in this way.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Last edited by fporro; 01-16-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

So my passenger side rails were gunked up with oil/roadgrime, etc. I've had an oil leak from my remote oil filter adapter for years which I finally sorted out a few months ago. I ran a coat hanger up and cleared the drains. I don't know if they were fully clogged but I cleaned them up the best I could. I think the main issue was the window seal and the rear window alignment. I'm going to hit my seals with some conditioner and see if I can soften them up. New seals are expensive but I may just have to grab some. Thanks for the tips guys. I couldn't find much about vert drains online. Will update this thread later.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

new rear window vertical gaskets helped my issue with water on the rear floorboards. But the convertible top in the rain is a continuing struggle

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

the drain under the top frame mount being clogged is what caused my passenger rear floor to get wet.
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                  the drain under the top frame mount being clogged is what caused my passenger rear floor to get wet.

From what I understand, that isn't a drain. It's a hole that's supposed to be covered up by a label. The drain is elsewhere.

Comment

I have this exact issue. what do you mean pass side rails were gunked up? I would realy like to fix this. I did look for the top storage drains quickly but did not see them. I assue I need to remove the seat to find those correct?

Comment

Anyone have a digram showing all the vert drains? My car is 100% naked underneath, perfect time to clean them all out
                      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Check out FPorro's video. It shows one of the aft drains. There's two cutouts where the sill seams are that drain any water that's in the sills. Jack the car up and get under it to see them. I couldn't tell where they were just by feel. Make sure they are clear with a coat hanger or wire. I don't believe my top storage compartment drain is clogged but it's worth checking as well. I think what it came down to on my car were the rear quarter window alignment causing the window seal to not touch the glass in some areas and the vertical glass seal as well. The seals are old and broken on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          From what I understand, that isn't a drain. It's a hole that's supposed to be covered up by a label. The drain is elsewhere.
                          That's news to me. I haven't worried about it since I freed up garage space for my 'vert (approx. 6 years ago), but when I was dealing with the wet floor, I read several threads about the drains under the top frame. Guess I need to do some more research. Where are the drains in the boot well?

Thanks, Cory
                          1992 325i Cabrio
                          1988 320i Touring
                          2000 M5
                          1977 530i
                          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                          BMWCCA
                          E30CCA

Comment

Boot well has at least one drain at the forward end of it and it's guaranteed to be plugged and I think there's a second one aft. The rockers have about 5 on each side at the pinch weld that are about 1/2"X 1/8. They typically plug from the outside due to chip guard, road crud, rust etc. I opened mine up with the smallest screw driver I had then double checked after I redid the chip guard with SEM.

Having said that I don't see how water gets in to the rockers but the drains mere existence suggests it's possible.
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                            X