Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 MTechnic Value

Hello, first time poster here.

Mods, I've read the rules and searched, hopefully this posting is OK, if not please move or close as you see fit.

My mother (yes, a little old lady in her 70's), has a 1991 3 series MTechnic convertible that she has owned since 1994 (she is the 2nd owner, bought it with about 10k on the odo). The car is a silver 5 speed, has the special wheels, handling package, appearance package, (including all the badges, skirts, shift knob, special cloth, etc.). From what I've been able to find out the MTechnic had an extremely limited production to begin with, and this may be one of 18 silver cars with a 5 speed transmission.

Mom's finally gotten to the point where it's difficult to get in and out of it and is considering selling, but she has no idea what it's worth. Any help in that regard would be much appreciated.

It has been her daily driver since she has owned it, as such it has the wear and tear you would expect from a daily driven car. It has 137k on the ODO right now, has been maintained/serviced on a regular basis, everything works although she had the power top converted to manual operation after it died about 8 years ago and the repairs were going to be prohibitively expensive. Timing belt and cooling system were addressed 500 miles ago. She has had two fender benders, both repaired by BMW dealers. Cloth Interior is faded from driving with the top down and the bottom of the drivers seat fabric has split, she put some aftermarket seat covers on over them several years ago. It's got the minor nicks, scratches, scrapes, etc. from 137k miles of driving. Unfortunately at some point the battery leaked so the tray is pretty much toast. I believe the car was originally sold by RoadShow BMW near Memphis, she bought it from the original owner in Paris, TN. The car has been in Middle Tennessee since she's owned it, has not seen salt, etc. Overall in solid, decent condition. I would guess 6/7 out of 10 for it's mileage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this album link works.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Twisties; 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM.

Beautiful car a great back story. Im not sure what its worth but Im interested. you may want to upload some interior pics.
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Wow.
      Your Mom is a Boss to have driven such a cool car and realized how cool it was all on her own.
      Great job Mom.
      Jimmy P.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
      92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
      98 318Ti Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Huge want! I'll be in Memphis this weekend and could extend my trip.... Must resist and avoid divorce court......

Seriously, if the interior is not too trashed and you're up for the hassle, you can probably maximize the sale price by auctioning it on Bring a Trailer.

Cory
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Beautiful car a great back story. Im not sure what its worth but Im interested. you may want to upload some interior pics.
          In the process of removing the seat covers, will add some interior shots when that's done.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
            Huge want! I'll be in Memphis this weekend and could extend my trip.... Must resist and avoid divorce court......

Seriously, if the interior is not too trashed and you're up for the hassle, you can probably maximize the sale price by auctioning it on Bring a Trailer.

Cory

I've been down the BAT route before with other vehicles. Don't know that I have the time to deal with it on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisties View Post
              I've been down the BAT route before with other vehicles. Don't know that I have the time to deal with it on this one.
              Not to mention about 80% of he people on that site are complete douche bags.
              I really believe most of them are professional auction saboteurs.
              Please don't subject this E30 to that crowd of douche bags.
              Jimmy P.
              98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                Not to mention about 80% of he people on that site are complete douche bags.
                I really believe most of them are professional auction saboteurs.
                Please don't subject this E30 to that crowd of douche bags.

Hah! I was trying to be polite :)

Comment

Looks good and all the main parts are there. It needs a good cleaning/detail, recover the seats if they are really bad and take some high res pics with the top down somewhere scenic. You should be able to get a least $13k.

Here are some links you should read:

M tech Registry

Definitive 91 M tech thread
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

No need for that.
                    I have made it my life's mission to just break those clucking, little, crybaby chicken littles balls at every opportunity.
                    Jimmy P.
                    98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Easily worth 11-13k... maybe more depending on what sort of service history its had.

I just sold mine not long ago :up:
                      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I'm uploading some interior pics to the gallery. Unfortunately it looks like most of the seat fabric has separated along with some stitching on the drivers side upper bolster. All in all the leather seems to be in decent shape.

Got the VIN today; it's EC04969, within the ranges listed here. www.e30ic.com

Comment

Pics are uploaded to the gallery. I've always loved the profile of this car with the top down!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I can understand not wanting to subject yourself and the vert to BAT. But such a rare original car with even more rare 5-speed is right in the wheelhouse of BAT, and especially with e30 prices surging. I'd just make it clear that you can still find original cloth and that repro cloth is readily available. Knowing what it takes to recondition one of these real m-techs, $13k is a bargain. Real badges are nearly impossible to find and someone on this forum is trying to sell damaged leather shifter and e-brake consoles for over a grand. GLWS or auction.
                            Last edited by robrez; 08-19-2017, 07:44 PM.
                            sigpic
                            January 2012 COTM

Comment

I unfortunately think it would bring more money on BaT than on say ebay. Or list it in roundel.
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                              X