Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Identifying A Leak

My car is a 1990 Vert.

Well, I have found that I have a leak. I originally thought it was the top as I had a leak a couple years ago and fixed it. But, the top isn't leaking.

I find that my passenger side carpet is wet, but the top isn't leaking. Strangely enough, the carpet is wet but the floor mat is not wet, just the carpet underneath it. The driver side is dry.

Any help to try and pinpoint where this water could be leaking in would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe the drain where fresh air comes in at the base of the windshield is clogged? There's a rubbery tube coming through the firewall if I recall correctly. It tapers to a flat opening. Give it a squeeze sideways to open up the taper and let any debris escape. Depending on how much debris is in there, it may need some assistance with a tool to come out.

Drain hose is #5 in this diagram from realoem: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0087

MM

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
      Maybe the drain where fresh air comes in at the base of the windshield is clogged? There's a rubbery tube coming through the firewall if I recall correctly. It tapers to a flat opening. Give it a squeeze sideways to open up the taper and let any debris escape. Depending on how much debris is in there, it may need some assistance with a tool to come out.

Drain hose is #5 in this diagram from realoem: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0087

MM
      OK, thanks, I will give that a look.

Comment

What I like to do to find an interior leak is blast the blower with the windows closed and hold something sensitive to air flow, like smoke for example and run what ever it is you decided to use along all the rubber seams and look for any agitation
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Assuming front passenger side, not rear?
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
            Assuming front passenger side, not rear?
            It's actually both front and rear passenger, but my car is parked slightly on a slope. Actually the rear was slightly worse than the front. Also, I confirmed for sure, it isn't the roof. It rained hard last week and I got in car and felt all around the inside of the top, no drips or wet spots. Strangely enough, I noticed a lot of condensation in the trunk as well but the floor and carpet in the trunk was dry.

This is driving me a little batty. I really want to solve the problem but can't even figure out where to start!!!

Comment

Windshield gasket? Might be best to pull apart some interior around the areas you may have suspicion, then have a friend hit areas with a water hose.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Could the rear drain be clogged? I think that would cause the rear floor to be wet.
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                X