• Show
Clear All

hmmmm i didn't bleed mine at all.
    1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
    1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
    1974 2002tii / stock
    2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

I dropped my radiator fan when I was trying to unscrew it. It broke a blade off. Can I still use it????

Comment

Originally posted by R32toE30 View Post
        I dropped my radiator fan when I was trying to unscrew it. It broke a blade off. Can I still use it????
        I've never done that before, but I assume it would still work, just not as effectively. Look in the parts for sale section of classifieds and you can probably pick one up for relatively cheap if you do start to notice adverse effects of the missing blade.
        sigpic

Comment

you realize it will be incredibly out of balance and spinning at a minimum of 600 rpm every time your car is on, right? no. buy a used one at a junkyard and next time be careful.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            you realize it will be incredibly out of balance and spinning at a minimum of 600 rpm every time your car is on, right? no. buy a used one at a junkyard and next time be careful.
            Thats a good point that I definitely didn't think about. Although the blades are such a small portion of the overall rotating mass, it may not be as big of an issue... Still, be careful.

Also, as long as your cooling system is in check, you should be able to run w/o the fan until you can replace it, although you probably shouldn't do that for too long. I know a lot of the fan clutches are bad on these cars, so they aren't doing a whole lot anyways...
            sigpic

Comment

Why is this not stickied?
              sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Excellent Question!
                :mrgreen:
                Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
                Why is this not stickied?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 91greg325i View Post
                  Thats a good point that I definitely didn't think about. Although the blades are such a small portion of the overall rotating mass, it may not be as big of an issue... Still, be careful.

Also, as long as your cooling system is in check, you should be able to run w/o the fan until you can replace it, although you probably shouldn't do that for too long. I know a lot of the fan clutches are bad on these cars, so they aren't doing a whole lot anyways...
                  how much mass is each of the weights on your tires that keeps it in balance? 5 grams on a 10lb wheel with another 10lb of rubber?

i would say that it would be a bad idea to run it like that when you can just go to a junkyard and get another one.
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    how much mass is each of the weights on your tires that keeps it in balance? 5 grams on a 10lb wheel with another 10lb of rubber?

i would say that it would be a bad idea to run it like that when you can just go to a junkyard and get another one.
                    I was by no means disagreeing with you. And I agree it is not recommended to run it like that. That's not to say it isn't possible without something fatal happening to the engine.

Bottom Line: Replace the fan.
                    sigpic

Comment

Im locating a local fan as we speak. I am better off just removing until i get the new fan?

Ill hopefully have a new one within the next week.

Comment

Im locating a local fan as we speak. I am better off just removing until i get the new fan?

Ill hopefully have a new one within the next week.
                        As long as your cooling system is up to snuff, and you aren't idling at a standstill for long periods of time, I'd say go ahead and leave it off.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm LOL'ing at all the hoopla...Yes, replace that sucker since being in balance is what motors are all about. I think I may even have a spare. Shoot me a PM & give me your address. You just need the fan, right? Your clutch is still good, just the blade broke, right?

Comment

I drove from LA to hollywood with a broken blade and the fan was off balance enough to chew up the radiator hose.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Cha Ching View Post
                              I'm LOL'ing at all the hoopla...Yes, replace that sucker since being in balance is what motors are all about. I think I may even have a spare. Shoot me a PM & give me your address. You just need the fan, right? Your clutch is still good, just the blade broke, right?
                              Pmed!

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                                I drove from LA to hollywood with a broken blade and the fan was off balance enough to chew up the radiator hose.
                                Well, there we go... Irrefutable evidence. Don't drive w/ it broken.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X