No announcement yet.

Timing Belt / Water Pump DIY - Step by Step Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok if the camshaft mark is a tooth off?

Comment

it'll run like crap.

3 teeth off and you're doing damage.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Yep, I fixed it. Now I need the m20 acc belt diagram since I forgot to take a pic

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          it'll run like crap.

3 teeth off and you're doing damage.
          Actually my car ran OK one tooth off. It vibrated a bit more than now and had a deeper grumble. Maybe more power? But It wasnt that bad really.
          sigpic

Comment

I was working my way through this writeup and started making some mistakes as it grew later. Just a few questions I hope somebody can clear up:

1. My radiator fell over, and the fluid spilled out. Was this just coolant, or was it silicon fluid that needs to be replaced?

2. Also, my fan clutch fell over but no fluid spilled out. Does this mean I should replace the fan clutch? I have been having some overheating issues at idle, maybe this is the cause?
            Last edited by engrlks; 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

When turning the engine at the end to ensure the marks keep aligning, is it necessary to take out the spark plugs to allow turning easier?

G.Verelli

Comment

It's not absolutely necessary, but makes turning the motor over MUCH easier.
                Suspension tips here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Just finsished, extremely helpful!

G.Verelli

Comment

Originally posted by engrlks View Post
                    I was working my way through this writeup and started making some mistakes as it grew later. Just a few questions I hope somebody can clear up:

1. My radiator fell over, and the fluid spilled out. Was this just coolant, or was it silicon fluid that needs to be replaced?

2. Also, my fan clutch fell over but no fluid spilled out. Does this mean I should replace the fan clutch? I have been having some overheating issues at idle, maybe this is the cause?
                    No offense, but WHAT?!

The radiator is just full of coolant.

The fan clutch is just a clutch, it's fine if you move it around. I replaced mine when I was in there, but I do that with everything.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

got a question I got a coolant leak but as far as I can tell none of my hoses are leaking, Ive done the timing belt before but if i need to replace the water pump ( location of leak) do I need to remove the timing belt or can I work around it?

Comment

You can do it without removing the timing belt.
                        Suspension tips here...
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

this DIY was fcuking awesome. Thank you for the write up. extremely helpful and precise!
                          -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                          91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                          08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                          04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                          Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                          Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

TB WP Kit

For those of you about to attempt this - fyi
                            sigpic

Comment

Just did this on my 86 - 2.7 - Great guide btw.
                              My timing marks were off by a few teeth the first time
                              Second time dead on - cranked it like 10 times to make damn sure that belt was not going to slip and to my dismay after putting it all back together - still cranked but ran like crap -So I looked far and wide peering at every single bolt, hose, clamps, plugs, sensors, everything on the motor - and from the full moon light and a flashlight I found the culprit. The temp coolant sensor which is down in the housing was just not on- it was there... I plugged that sob in and sweet jesus - purring like a kitten - no stumble just pure. And I was happy to be able to go to bed and be done with this...
                              Always, Always, freakin' ALWAYS check your sensors 00=()()=00
                              freakin a...
                              sigpic

Comment

is an '85 325e ETA supposed to not have the tensioner spring? Bc I am right in the middle of a HG job and I see a hole for where it should be but no spring there...Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X