Clear All

DIY 15mm Drop hat installation

What's needed:
    Floor jack
    19mm deep socket
    17mm socket
    Tire iron
    Loctite (blue or red)
    Impact gun/impact driver cordless (this is not NEEDED but it DRAMATICALLY helps in the removal of the top strut nut)

Jack the car up on a safe, level surface. Use jack stands to make sure the cars going no where.

Start by removing both front tires. Then move under the car and remove the sway bar end link that connects to the countrol arm (17mm nut iirc). Place your floor jack under the strut knuckle as it makes it much easier. Now if you have an impact gun of any variety, pump the jack until it's resting against the knuckle and remove the top strut nut (part # 6 in the first diagram) which is 19mm. Now, if you don't have an impact wrench, pump the jack up until the spring is fairly compressed and give it another go. It's a pain, because it'll rotate in it's perch. Again, an impact gun is very, very handy here.

Once you've removed the 19mm nut on the shock tower (part #6 in the first diagram), slowly lower the strut down. Be careful to keep an eye on your brake lines.
    (*NOTE* I did not have to disconnect them as the suspension I'm running is H&R race springs and really didn't have to drop it down much to remove the original spring hat)
    Once you've lowered the jack down enough to work, remove the stock spring hat (part #9 second diagram), washers and if you want (part #8 second diagram), you can also remove the upper spring pad (part #10 second diagram).
    (*NOTE* I removed all of those with no ill effects what so ever. Also removed the lower spring pad while there was no pressure on the suspension)
    Now take your new drop hats and negotiate them over the top of the shock threads so it sits on top of the shock. Take the washer(s) supplied and place them over over the shock shaft/threads.
    (*NOTE* I recommend using the supplied washers to give you the clearance for the drop hat to sit properly on the springs and rotate correctly while turning/driving)
    At this point jack the strut up and navigate the strut back into the shock tower. Place the 19mm top nut on and thread it a little bit. Now you're going to want to position the springs and the drop hat so they sit where and how they are supposed too. I ran into a few problems with this due to the shortness of the H&R race. "Wishno" suggested jacking the strut up and compressing the springs slightly to figure out where everything needs to sit. Use your discretion here so as not to jam a finger or hurt yourself.
    Now reconnect the sway bar end link and tighten. Go back up top and thread the top strut nut down a bit with your fingers. You're going to want to drop the car down and make sure the drop hat is sitting properly before torqing down the top strut nut, otherwise, it'll just spin in it's perch. I had to use an impact gun and then check it with a torq wrench. Be sure to not over tighten the top strut nut otherwise the shock and drop hat will not rotate as they should (freely according to the turning etc etc)

Get your wheels on and all that jazz and give it a test. You'll know if your springs are not sitting correctly very soon if anythings wrong. It's intimidating when you first get into it, but once you're looking at all the pieces, it makes a lot more sense. Let me know how it goes and I hope this helps!

Pictures of the process to come. Hope it helps.
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Any pics yet??
    '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

Comment

patiently awaiting pictures as well

Comment

I take it you bought the e90 hats
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

you can do this without a spring compressor ?
          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
            you can do this without a spring compressor ?
            depends on the springs. if you have ie3's i know you dont need to compress. but im positive hr and stocks need to be, cant vouch for any other springs though. just to be safe do it.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
            my feedback thread

Comment

Pics please. I want to do this.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
                depends on the springs. if you have ie3's i know you dont need to compress. but im positive hr and stocks need to be, cant vouch for any other springs though. just to be safe do it.
                Unless they're the OE Sports, you don't need to compress them.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

i have e90 hats on my car, with h&r race springs i still had about a 1/2" gap on my front
                  fenders. These lined them up perfectly. Greatest look if you cant afford/dont wanna go
                  GC coilovers.
                  Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver
                  Duct Tape...turning No No No into Mmm Mmm Mmm since 1942

Comment

i bet you could do this to oe sports without a compressor.

you can do an entire suspension swap, from stock to whatever, without a compressor.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Not meaning to thread jack. I'm looking to do the drop hats as well, but in conjunction with a drop spring install too. I bought some suspension stuff, strut assemblies and springs and shocks, but I was concerned the springs on the struts actually have about 1 1/2 inches of float to them. As in, unloaded, the springs flop around loose. Is this normal or did the previous owner install drop springs with stock struts, like I suspect?

Comment

Originally posted by Quadrajet View Post
                        Not meaning to thread jack. I'm looking to do the drop hats as well, but in conjunction with a drop spring install too. I bought some suspension stuff, strut assemblies and springs and shocks, but I was concerned the springs on the struts actually have about 1 1/2 inches of float to them. As in, unloaded, the springs flop around loose. Is this normal or did the previous owner install drop springs with stock struts, like I suspect?
                        When I put my ie3's on they were loose. My understanding is most lowering springs will fit the same way.
                        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Where would I get the drop hats your using?
                          REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

The drop hats I was using are RichardKeith's drop hats.

Pictures of the installation itself never made it onto my PC due to the camera getting jacked when my wifey was robbed. I hate Renton.

As for compressing them, you don't "need" to compress the springs even if they are stock. You MUST be very, very careful in removing the top strut nut with an impact wrench/driver.
                            Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

nice writeup.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X