Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout
    replied
    INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE WHITE BASE SWITCH SHOWN BELOW.
    OTHER WHITE BASE SWITCH WIRING CAN BE DERIVED FROM THE ONE IN THE PICTURE.
    (THERE ARE TOTAL 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF WHITE BASE SWITCHES, ALL WORK, THEY JUST HAVE DIFFERENT COLOR WIRES)

Last edited by Blackout; 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• randomtask37
    replied
    Ok I figured it out. In case anyone else runs into this. I was real close last night, but i had 2 wires mixed up.

this is my switch. White base. the way i read this pin layout is:

e36 white base switch:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6

1 = black
    2 = empty
    3 = brown
    4 = green
    5 = red
    6 = empty

the e30's sunroof wiring has

Brown
    Brown
    Black
    Green
    Green/Blue stripe

sunroof
    e30 to e36

brown + brown to brown (pin 3)
    black to green (pin 4)
    green to black (pin 1)
    green/blue stripe to red (pin 5)

Leave a comment:

• redsubdivisions
    replied
    Oh shit. I just realized it was for a sunroof switch, not window switches. My apologies.

Leave a comment:

• randomtask37
    replied
    Unfortunately that doesn't help me. The e30 wiring colors don't match my situation

Leave a comment:

• redsubdivisions
    replied

I used this. It helped out great.

Leave a comment:

• randomtask37
    replied
    Guys, I need help. I am trying to wire a white base switch to my sunroof and am not having much luck.

this is my switch. White base. the way i read this pin layout is:

e36 white base switch:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6

1 = black
    2 = empty
    3 = brown
    4 = green
    5 = red
    6 = empty

the e30's sunroof wiring has

Brown
    Brown
    Black
    Green
    Green/Blue stripe

So far the closest I’ve been to getting this to work:

e30 to e36

black to black (pin 1)
    green to green (pin 4)
    green/blue stripe to red (pin 5)

With this setup, the fuse didn't blow but I could only move the sunroof forward. I pressed the switch forward and backwards (up and down) but either way I pushed the button the sunroof went forward

2 other attempts that resulted in a blown #17 fuse

e30 to e36

black to black (pin 1)
    green to red (pin 5)
    green/blue stripe to green (pin 4)

e30 to e36

green/blue stripe to black (pin 1)
    black to green (pin 4)
    green to red (pin 5)

I tried to piece together this whole thread to work for my specific scenario, but there isn't much sunroof info on here. One other bit of info, when the e36 switch arrived, the green pin 4 was split into two wires about 3 inches down the wire away from the switch. Unless green is the ground on this switch (which seems crazy to me) I don't know what the split was for so I cut it off..

Currently, I've run out of fuses and my sunroof is open... and it may rain tomorrow. So any help would be appreciated.

PS: I installed 2 blue base switches as window switches following the info on http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/e36switches.html and had 0 problems. Everything worked first try.

Leave a comment:

• redsubdivisions
    replied
    I did this not too long ago. Easier to roll the windows down now that I don't have to mash my buttons down.

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Well, I got my switches in. However, I am not too happy with my wiring job so they'll be coming back out and getting redone at some point.

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Well, I think I broke the E36 window lock switch while playing with it... doh

I guess I'll just snip all the wires off of it and run it as a blank lol

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo View Post
    I would rather see if I can fit it to the window lock switch that comes in the 4 door E30's
    copy that.

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackout View Post
    E36 window lock switch to the circuit breaker in an E30.
    I would rather see if I can fit it to the window lock switch that comes in the 4 door E30's

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    ^

Is that fitting the E36 window lock switch to the circuit breaker, or the E30 window lock switch in a 4 door E30?
    E36 window lock switch to the circuit breaker in an E30.

Leave a comment:

• lambo
    replied
    ^

Is that fitting the E36 window lock switch to the circuit breaker, or the E30 window lock switch in a 4 door E30?

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    Anyone figure out what goes to what on an E36 window lock switch with three wire ( Red/Brown - Green/Grey - Green/Blue) to an E30 window lock switch with two wires (Green/Grey - Green/Blue)?

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
    Splice all the wires on the e36 switch pigtail.
    Connect brown with the Red. Than connect the other with either of the remaining two green wires on the pigtail. Now test if the breaker operates.

If it does not, try the other green wire on the pig tail and re-test. One of the wire has to work for positive. You can just cut the other one off which did not work.

Leave a comment:

• crazyman
    replied
    I've already done that test hehe, just haven't put it in the car yet. On the e36 window cut switch it has one wire that's incoming (which should be the red/brown I believe) and two out going where as the e30 one has one incoming and one out going (the e30 cut switch kills the ground to the switches and the e36 kills the power, I have not tested that. Never had a chance to test before I pulled it). Also keep in mind that the four door might have a different setup, but should operate under the same principals. If you want to keep the wire on the e30 window stock, you can hook the incoming wires together and hook up the out going one then leave the other out going one from the e36 switch just dead end. Couldn't tell you the incoming wire on the e30 one cus they never used the same color every time. I have two e30's and neither one have the same color of wire for the interior, but those are just the ones I have owned others might be different. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X