DIY - E36 window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soliver
    If anyone is interested in using the sunroof switch I just put them in. Lights up and works great.
    E30 - E36
    Browns - Brown
    Green - Red
    Purple - Black
    Black - Green

werd

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

If anyone is interested in using the sunroof switch I just put them in. Lights up and works great.
      E30 - E36
      Browns - Brown
      Green - Red
      Purple - Black
      Black - Green
      Unfortunately just listing the wire colors does not help at all. The e36 switches do not use universally colored wires. I had a pair of white based e36 switches and both of them had different colored wires.

It is more important to list where the wire was possitioned in the base of the switch, rather than the color of the wire. For example, if you look at the back of the switch, and number each wire in a certain order, and list what color e30 wire goes to which numbered wire...

-Erik

Comment

My switches never ended up working. Crap switches I guess. $40 down the shit tube.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
          Unfortunately just listing the wire colors does not help at all. The e36 switches do not use universally colored wires. I had a pair of white based e36 switches and both of them had different colored wires.

It is more important to list where the wire was possitioned in the base of the switch, rather than the color of the wire. For example, if you look at the back of the switch, and number each wire in a certain order, and list what color e30 wire goes to which numbered wire...

-Erik

Looking at the switch plug with the sunroof switch facing up. (The 123 number row are closest to the top of the switch)
          1 2 3
          4 5 6

The e30 wire colors are...
          1 - Purple
          3 - Both Browns
          4 - Black
          5 - Green

Hope this helps someone

Comment

Looking at the switch plug with the sunroof switch facing up. (The 123 number row are closest to the top of the switch)
            1 2 3
            4 5 6

The e30 wire colors are...
            1 - Purple
            3 - Both Browns
            4 - Black
            5 - Green

Hope this helps someone
            Thanks for adding that - I'm almost ready to do mine..

PS - greatest sig ever :)

Comment

Originally posted by vt.bimmer
              My switches never ended up working. Crap switches I guess. $40 down the shit tube.
              damn that sucks..so they didn't work up or down?!
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383
                damn that sucks..so they didn't work up or down?!
                One worked down. The other did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
                  Thanks for adding that - I'm almost ready to do mine..

PS - greatest sig ever :)

Deformed singing gerbils. Talk about brilliant marketing. :D

Comment

mine work but don't light up, I am planning on the sunroof soon.
                    Yours truly,
                    Rich
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Rigmaster
                    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281
                      mine work but don't light up, I am planning on the sunroof soon.

To clarify my previous posts...
                      The setup I did is to install e36 sunroof switches in place of the e30 window switches. I haven't done anything with the e30 sunroof.

Comment

Pictures on the write up dont work... anyone?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vt.bimmer
                          One worked down. The other did nothing.
                          lol

Are these the ones I just bought from you?

Haha either way ohwell, if they don't work for me I'll put them in my friend's car and steal his.
                          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

The pics on the write up coming back ever?
                            sigpic

Comment

Click one of the dozen links to strictlyeta.net in the thread.

Comment

For everybody saying that some of their e36 window swithces light up and some dont because they're "burnt out", check your wire colors. Not neccessarily your wiring routes to make htem work, but the actual wires coming from the base of the switch. I have four E36 switches that I recieved from Jordan back when he was selling off his last sets, and 2 light up, while the other two do not. The ONLY difference between the two pairs is that the two that do not light up have a different wire color coming off in place of another on the other switches. Otherwise, they are hooked up identically (cant make much exceptions when only one wire is different and everybody else has hooked them up this way) and the two that light up have the same colored wires. They all have white bases.

One example of this I THINK is Matt Russell's switches, I seem to recall he has one wire color on the drivers side that lights up, and the other on the pass that doesn't. Different colored wires on both sides. I believe I used a picture he posted back a ways to wire up mine. Same symptoms, perhaps they just dont light up with the base and certain wire color combo. tired...going to stop rambling now.

Comment

Working...
                                X