Upgrading to Parallel Flow Condenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
    This is the internet. Everyone has to say you're wrong and then show you how. :)

The PF condenser for my E30 will be in tomorrow. I'll be making a write up for replacing everything in the E30 AC system in the coming week.
    sweet!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      Right. That's why I'm blowing 2 degrees colder than he is in weather 10 degrees hotter. He didn't say what his fan speed was, either.
      He's not even in 10 degrees hotter than you,yall both are in the 80's blowing 40F from vent. Stock condenser in 92-100 degrees will only get you 55-70F from vent.
      Last edited by immajackuup; 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I'm not here to turn this into a pissing contest, but what difference does it make that 1 PERSON has the same results with a stock condenser? Like I've said before, there have been success stories on this subject and I went ahead and did it. Fuck, how many times do I have to explain that?
        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
          I'm not here to turn this into a pissing contest, but what difference does it make that 1 PERSON has the same results with a stock condenser? Like I've said before, there have been success stories on this subject and I went ahead and did it. Fuck, how many times do I have to explain that?

All of this is relative, hence my request for documented before and after tests.

All of our cars a/c systems have aged differently and perform differently. The only concern here in this thread is does the installation of a parallel flow condenser by itself lower the vent temps. period.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Aw yeah

Comment

My gauge panels would go great with a chilling A/C unit. I am sure they make your car even more enjoyable. Cold A/C + a Gauge Panel = WIN!

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

;)
              Best Regards,
              -Joel Perez

DipitAll.com
              For all your Plasti Dip needs. Covering all SWFL

Comment

I fooled around with this on a customers car for a week or so. The Pf condenser fit like shit with out a good bit of modification. The brackets to the fan have to be redone also. Not to mention custom ac lines. After wasted money I found out that there are a couple different condensers that came one e30's There are thin thick and double row tube fin condensers. I found a double tube fin that was in the yard behind where I work. Used it and worked great. Now i did find some parallel flow condensers (aftermarket) that some of our venders offered that were direct fit. Also I charged to the whole amount. The r12 amount minus 10%. i believe it was something like 1.86 pounds. That was the end of my investigation. If I were to do it again id check and see what some of the 93 verts had. I'm thinking 92 was the cut off date for r12, their condensers maybe more efficient. But using the duel row tube fin my high side pressure never got that high, and this was when the mid west had the 100k heat wave.

EDIT: I may have used the the generic fit PF one that was posted in a couple of forums.... It didnt have any brackets on it..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

whats the point of the recirc button?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                    whats the point of the recirc button?

To recirc...ulate the air in the car instead of cooling new outside air.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I like the writeup but agree that A/C is for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        I fooled around with this on a customers car for a week or so. The Pf condenser fit like shit with out a good bit of modification. The brackets to the fan have to be redone also. Not to mention custom ac lines. After wasted money I found out that there are a couple different condensers that came one e30's There are thin thick and double row tube fin condensers. I found a double tube fin that was in the yard behind where I work. Used it and worked great. Now i did find some parallel flow condensers (aftermarket) that some of our venders offered that were direct fit. Also I charged to the whole amount. The r12 amount minus 10%. i believe it was something like 1.86 pounds. That was the end of my investigation. If I were to do it again id check and see what some of the 93 verts had. I'm thinking 92 was the cut off date for r12, their condensers maybe more efficient. But using the duel row tube fin my high side pressure never got that high, and this was when the mid west had the 100k heat wave.

EDIT: I may have used the the generic fit PF one that was posted in a couple of forums.... It didnt have any brackets on it..
                        Had to have been a generic one. I did barely any modification to get this to fit. I think the most I had to do was my fan mounting grommets and that was basically it and I wouldn't even call that modifying. No custom lines either.

1992 was the year they started enforcing R-134 in cars and phasing out R-12, so 1993 had to have been different lines. My 1992 E34 wagon has R-134 service ports on it. I don't know if it was retrofitted or not (there was a BMW TSB about converting them over), but that fucker blows real cold.

Comment

Originally posted by durtyE30 View Post
                          I like the writeup but agree that A/C is for pussies.
                          lol I agreed with that when I had my S13 240: I was single, broke most of the time, and I would roll around with the windows down.

Now that I have a kid on the way and I have a decent income, I think it was in my best interest to do so. But once it starts cooling down here, the windows will go down and my sunroof will go back more often.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                            Aw yeah

Just to let you know,you have to cut part of this piece to get mounting brackets align.

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
                              He's not even in 10 degrees hotter than you,yall both are in the 80's blowing 40F from vent. Stock condenser in 92-100 degrees will only get you 55-70F from vent.
                              Wrong. The weather showed 93 degrees when those pics were taken. I think it's quite reasonable to say that it was 3-4 degrees warmer on either the highway or on an asphalt driveway.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                                I keep hammering on this point because people are declaring their desire to spend money on their systems when my experience shows that this condenser isn't any better than a stock unit (that isn't clogged or obstructed).
                                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X